Toyota V-8 going away

I'm not a Toyota guy, but I do hate to see this coming if this is true.
The 5.7L Toyota is one of the best V-8's ever made !
Hopefully Toyota will offer it as an option

BF7215F5-D7D6-4C6C-8E2C-6E0C4BBF70A8.jpeg

I dont like the idea of twin turbo.
More things to go wrong
Yes the FORD v6 turbo is more powerful than there V8 but will it go 250+ without turbo repairs ?

Originally Posted by tblt44
More things to go wrong
Yes the FORD v6 turbo is more powerful than there V8 but will it go 250+ without turbo repairs ?

I can only say the only ecoboost F150 I've owned served me well for 125K
But their lots of guys going 200K or more
So I think their very reliable

But like Ford
Toyota needs to offer a V-8

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Meanwhile FCA is debating on how to shove a Hellcat into a Pacifica
whistle.gif

Ok

I've known this for almost a year.
smile.gif
. It'll be sad to see it go, the 5.7 is a bulletproof design. But I'm looking forward to the TT V6 Toyota will produce. It will be a bigger beast than the NA 5.7 V8.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wonder what NASCAR will do with Toyota? The pushrod Toyota V8 isn't production based IFAIK to comply with rules but what if Toyota doesn't even offer a V8?

Huh? NECKCAR has been running cars on and off for years that weren't equipped with a V8 from the factory: Camry, Taurus, Lumina, etc. Makes no difference if there is no longer a Toyota production V8

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Wonder what NASCAR will do with Toyota? The pushrod Toyota V8 isn't production based IFAIK to comply with rules but what if Toyota doesn't even offer a V8?

Huh? NECKCAR has been running cars on and off for years that weren't equipped with a V8 from the factory: Camry, Taurus, Lumina, etc. Makes no difference if there is no longer a Toyota production V8

LOL

NASCAR hadn't cared about a PRODUCTION made engine in
YEARS

That's how Toyota got into NASCAR

It's was all about 💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵

Last edited:
More things to go wrong

What makes you say they won't?

Originally Posted by CT8
More things to go wrong

What makes you say they won't?

I'm not sure there is a full size pickup on the market in the U.S. regardless of engine choice that wouldn't be able to run 250k miles with proper maintenance.

4 years ago the guys shop next door to my rental has a racecar frame building shop I went to B.S and saw this engine on a stand. I looked like a small block Ford or Chey with big blockheads on it and a complicated dry sump system. He asked me what??? I said what kind of engine is that? He said last years NASCAR engine. Nope they are not even close to a production. Don't let any idiot tell you they are old school.

Toyota Tundras with the 5.7 get horrible fuel mileage. The Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and F-150 with the 5.0 get better fuel mileage and have a little more horsepower. Toyota has to update their engine offerings for the Tundra.

Originally Posted by MParr
Toyota Tundras with the 5.7 get horrible fuel mileage. The Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and F-150 with the 5.0 get better fuel mileage and have a little more horsepower. Toyota has to update their engine offerings for the Tundra.

The Toyota Tundras are heavy trucks.

Originally Posted by MParr

I wouldn't call it horrible. When I pull a load or haul something, my mileage doesn't drop near as much. It's comparable to my buddy's Hemi Ram and my brother's Ecoboost 150 when they work theirs. Besides, I couldn't care less about fuel mileage in a pickup truck. If I was worried about mileage I'd drive a Prius and just rent a truck when I needed one. I prefer reliability and durability. I've owned gas trucks by every manufacturer except Nissan and no gas engine made by Ford, Garbage Motors, or Fiat compares to the 5.7 Toyota.

Originally Posted by CT8

4 years ago the guys shop next door to my rental has a racecar frame building shop I went to B.S and saw this engine on a stand. I looked like a small block Ford or Chey with big blockheads on it and a complicated dry sump system. He asked me what??? I said what kind of engine is that? He said last years NASCAR engine. Nope they are not even close to a production. Don't let any idiot tell you they are old school.

The motors in NASCAR have not been remotely anything like stock motors... Hardly ever... Ever.

Dry sump system with a oil tank that held 20+ qts of oil with only 2 maybe 2.5 in the running motor at any time go way back through the 90s, 80s, and 70s and 60s I'd bet... Going through high banks especially at Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, even Darlington needed a dry sump set up.

The orginal cars even in early NASCAR were heavily modified... To out run the law running shine of course
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

True but there was a V8 in the family at least and that was then and they were all doing the same thing. Now Toyota doesn't have a car with a V8 and soon won't have a V8 while Ford and Chevy are racing RWD models that have V8s. Be interesting to see how they spin it.

It's a sign of the changing times, today's turbo 4 cylinders are yesterday's V6's, todays turbo V6's are yesterday's V8's. The vast majority of consumers want an engine with a certain level of power, a nice flat torque curve, good NVH, etc the number of cylinders doesn't really matter. Personally I'd like to see Toyota keep it's UR engine family (the successor to the legendary UZ's) but I'd also like to see the end of the current SUV and crossover pandemic and that's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Sad news. The Toyota V8 is the last of the old school, non-turbo, non direct injected engines. It is an excellent engine and makes lots of power! Yes, it's thirsty, but not that bad considering the HP.

All I can say is, get one while you still can.

Back