Mobil 1 EP 0w20

Gooday folks,

Seems nowadays a lot of cars are using 0w20 oil.

I got a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 extended performance 0w20 for my 2018 Mazda 3 with the 2L Skyactiv. Me and my father always used Castrol Edge/GTX in the past, but for the price what the heck I got that Mobil 1 EP.

I read a lot of stuff online about it, some say it runs louder in their engines, some running them in Acura's claim that the engine burns even more oil with Mobil 1, but I think its all baloney.

I dont even plan to run it for an extended oil change, probably 10,000 km, since my car is still under warranty.

I see a lot of high mileage cars on here that used Mobil 1 their whole life.

That being said, any of you have experienced that noisy engine/ more oil consumption using Mobil 1 EP? would it be fine in my 2.0L skyactive japanes engine?

Thanks!

I used Mobil 1 EP 0w20 for 60k miles in my 2014 3. No oil consumption at all. It's a great choice for the Skyactiv engine. It's most PAO and has a sulfated ash of .8, make it good for helping to reduce intake valve deposits. Noack is 10.1%.

I use the VW approved 508 0-20 oil in my Passat. Burns zero oil. Drove to Florida and back from PA in February. Oil level stayed right at the FULL mark down and back. No issues.

It is true on my my Honda Accords with the K24 engines, it does burn more oil on Mobil 1 products, such as the EP. But if I use Castrol Edge, it burns less. But this is my experience, don't know about others.

But on vehicles that doesn't have oil consumption problem, I do use Mobil 1. As for noise, it is quite a roll of dice.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles with M1 0-20, AFE, and some 5-20 and all my engines have used almost no oil, have stayed very clean, and sound great with no timing chain noise at all. 10K OCIs.

I've never used W20 but as far as oil consumption, one of our cars burns the least amount of oil with M1 10W30 EP. The car doesn't burn much to begin with but noticeably less with EP. I switch between M1 10W30 EP in summer and PP 5W30 in winter and both do well.

Noise is another subject under my list of things to research ... Haven't found a logical answer yet. Maybe just a perception.

Should add that my wife said one time that the car sounds quiet with PP but that hasn't changed my decision as to which oil to use or not to use.

130K on an '07 Accord V6. Uses less than 1/2Q in 12K miles. Really no issues with M1EP 0w-20. The engine is a little noisy at startup in cold weather, but quiets down after a few min. In warmer weather >~40F zero noise.

I've run it in 5w30 flavor in our Ecoboost from day 1 for 10k OCI's. The engine runs beautifully with it and doesn't burn a drop. Ever. I did one run in my 2018 Jeep in 0w20 and it turned in a good UOA and used nothing. I've also run it many times in 5w30 and 5w20 in my 08 Jeep, which drinks it like a drunk sailor. Of course, like a drunk sailor, that old 3.8 isn't picky and will drink anything with equal enthusiasm. Never once have I thought Mobil 1 EP was noisier than any other oil. Great stuff. I think it is 95% as good as AP for less money.

I have found that my Ford engine is significantly louder on Mobil1. Noticeably quieter on Castrol Edge. No real difference in oil consumption between the two.

Yeah … in 3 decades I never heard this noise thing. And PUP came in last when I used a meter … but not dramatic either.
Funny we know how many various base stock combinations M1 has … and we know they sell to many formulators
(ranging from Amsoil to the one somebody just posted a box of) … but only M1 regardless of type/viscosity and zero attempts so far to explain why that might be.
I have 2 V8 engines using two 0w20 M1types … and both are quiet

The loudness thing must be a BITOG myth. I've never noticed it in any vehicle I've ran M1 in.

I find myself checking the tachometer at a stop. The engine is that quiet.

I used M1 15W50 EP back in the day. Then it got phased out and M1 15W50 silver cap (which replaced the red cap version) was my go to oil for my 300ZX.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The loudness thing must be a BITOG myth. I've never noticed it in any vehicle I've ran M1 in.

I find myself checking the tachometer at a stop. The engine is that quiet.

I also believe it to be a BITOG-ism. I've never experienced it either, on a pretty extensive list of different engines.

I don't know much about oil chemistry and acoustics. Density, base oil polarity, additive polarity, concertation of additives etc. and how they impact sound. Even if some oils hypothetically product more noise, we don't even know if that translates into more wear.

Motor oil sound is the equivalent of the butt dyno - no facts support either.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Motor oil sound is the equivalent of the butt dyno - no facts support either.

True, but I like not hearing metal to metal like sounds coming from my engine. Fortunately Castrol, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil products kept my engines sounding good. Boutique oil, not so much. Go figure.............

Back