What to use to fix scrathes on my 12 guage?

I fell and my 12 Ga. Mossberg model 935 slid across some gravel and get some scratches in it.

Any one know of a good product to re-blue the scratched areas?

Thanks a ton!

I've heard of something called Oxpho Blue, but I don't know anything about it. You might do some searches on some gun forums and see what others think about it.

To get the scratches out though you'd need to do some polishing. To get a really good job you'd probably want to send it to a gunsmith who specializes in blueing and can do the polishing properly.

Blue isn't much more rust resistant than bare metal. If it was me I'd just keep oiling the whole thing.

If you're really worried about rust look into parkerizing and/or painting. Those really stop rust.

BSW

Cold bluing like you get at Wally is good🤞ðŸ»For small scratches. Get the metal nice and hot maybe with a heat gun to open up the pores a bit and keep rubbing it on. Bluing likes a temp of around 185 to really get in there. Worth a try anyways though any quick blue is going to naturally not be as nice as buffing out the scratches and a $ hot tank job.
That Ospho I think comes from Numrich Arms . It's a bit pricy and the shipping as I recall was way up there when I looked a few years back. You'll find a lot of videos on YouTube

How deep are the scratches? I've already repaired shotgun barrels that were rust pitted, but you need to get the metal smooth first. Rust pits required a file job first, followed by sanding with wet/dry down to 400 grit.

When applying the bluing, which was typically Birchwood Casey stuff, I'd use ultra fine steel wool. In the end, you couldn't tell it from the original.

Originally Posted by callbay
I fell and my 12 Ga. Mossberg model 935 slid across some gravel and get some scratches in it.

Any one know of a good product to re-blue the scratched areas?

Thanks a ton!

A picture would be helpful ( if you do, try to use a true white light and at a slight angle)

Theres more than one way to do this and most of them depend on the original finish and the damage to get it to match.

Cold blue is pretty much cosmetic only. A good blueing does help with corrosion protection (to a limited degree) but the touch up stuff does not.

Back