Why do many mechanics still think Kia is junk?

I know Kias were bad prior to the late 2000s but some people still seem to think they are like they were back then.

I had a mechanic working on something and when it took longer than expected to repair it he mentioned that "Well, it is a Kia." And then he mentioned how dumb their engineers seem to be.

Are Kia's still regarded as unreliable and difficult to work on in mechanic circles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
I'm sure there are mechanics that keep up with the field, but I've never met one. You didn't go to Scotty did you?

Haha no I went a reliable one in town that my family has used for years but I was taken aback when he said that about Kias.

I actually saw a recent video by Scotty where he said Kia's have great transmissions and are pretty decent cars lol

Last edited:
I think Nissan does absolutely stupid things and found products difficult to understand, mechanically, while my Mazda products have been very sensibly engineered. GM was also sensibly engineered. My Jeep was always too complex (2010 JGC) where it didn't need to be. The german influence was impossible to miss. My fords have been somewhere between gm and my jeep. I think it's also personality of the person doing the job and how they view things in a frame of what should be a certain way.

I found my Hyundai to be very sensibly engineered, with well laid out components. I was impressed at the little details sometimes too...things that they didn't have to do, but they did.

Two of the techs from the shop I owned drove a Hyundai and a KIA. They never really brought it up and were never late due to "car problems".. LOL
I remember turning wrenches on Excel's. They sold a lot because they were $5K. Reliability...meh.

Every manufacturer has it's woes though. My wife and I had to sue GM. Haven't bought one since. Now that the issues are worked out of my Ford, it's been good. I do like the 2.7L Ecoboost engine, but I may try another brand next time. (Ram for the interior and Toyota is on the list too).

My wife's Optima SXL has been awesome. The nappa interior is comfortable and quiet. It's quick too. We drove down to GA last summer to visit my wife's parents.
It was a comfortable and relaxing ride. We enjoy driving and it doesn't disappoint.

My wife is already considering a Stinger when it comes time to replace it (her sister just bought a Genesis G70). I sat in a few Tellurides, and man, they are excellent. I only wish they could squeeze another 1K lbs in towing capacity out of them. I think the Palisade might offer better deals and seems just as nice inside, but I'm not fond of the nose.

If I didn't currently have a company Escape and needed a daily driver, I would probably drive either of the two.

Recently my nieces Kia engine had to be replaced because the knock sensor failed and that caused the engine to severely damage itself. Fortunately it was still under warranty. So yes Kia engines still do go bad.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Recently my nieces Kia engine had to be replaced because the knock sensor failed and that caused the engine to severely damage itself. Fortunately it was still under warranty. So yes Kia engines still do go bad.

Wow, there was no "limp home" or failsafe value for the sensor input to prevent catastrophic engine damage?

Every car I own is hated on Bitog. Non are US or Japanese, I got rid of the ones I had so that only leaves Euro trash.
lol.gif

theres good + bad in all! girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5 LS non turbe very bad!!! her replacement a 2.4 Kia optima non turbo is great + unlike the malibu uses NO oil + just feels BETTER!!

Tons and tons of people do that for all different brands because they cannot accept the fact that a manufacturer doesn't have to be stuck in the past and is allowed to improve and learn from their mistakes.

Every bolt on my sister's Accent felt like it was driven in too tight, and I was afraid they'd snap while I worked on it.

It was four years old at the time.

IDK if they had metallurgy worked out as far as steel fasteners in aluminum blocks, or adequate antisieze etc.

I could see that making the car frustrating to work on, by reputation.

I recall watching one of Eric O's SMA vids where he mentioned something along the lines of Hyundai and Kia's online tech info as being excellent.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Those Kias break down because the owners used wax filled Pennzoil that should have been changed every 3K miles.

And they use that water thin 5w-20 oil, all mechanics know that the only oil needed in the entire US is Valvoline 10w-30.

Some mechanics just don't get up with the times.
Sure they may be working on a lot of Hyundai/Kia, but how old are they? I bet if they actually looked at the numbers, it is pretty even through all brands.

I think we have all seen some stupid engineering on every vehicle make we have worked on.

I know of the 3 Hyundai's I have owned (2018 Santa Fe, 2004 Elantra, 2005 Tucson) and 5 other family members Hyundai/Kia ('02 Sonata (sold running fine), '05 Sonata (still running), '09 Santa Fe (still running), '10 Santa Fe (still running), and '18 Soul) they have been overall reliable and relatively easy to work on.

Because they work on them and see the problems that were suppressed by the 100K warranty. Most Kia owners trade them before they reach high mileage. Most Kia buyers are not car people.

Staying away from Kia in my case; what I do think about Kia? They have improved on styling over time; however, reliability is still an issue with Kia generally

JD Powers ratings for Kia are above the industry standard. They have come a very long way and are a threat to many established manufacturers.
I have owned and driven everthing from a VW Beetle to Cadillac Fleetwood Broughm and have found Kia/Hyundai to be the most reliable and satisfying cars that I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few.

Back