Stay at home jobs

Blue Cross Blue Shield in Chattanooga tn is looking into letting many employees do their job at home....what do you all think if many companies do this?

My thoughts, save you on gas and traffic and clothes..

Reactions: JC1
Most office jobs can be done at home as long as you have Internet access and company cellphone / laptop.

Many companies no longer want to lease expensive office buildings when employees can work from home office.

Middle management feels threatened that they'd be out of work not being nosy in person.

Once they realize how much money they can save on office space and the old-school Management by walking around types retire, this will become the norm . I'm working from home even though the job I took was out of town. When I first took the job, I was told that I needed to be on-site 5 days a week.

I'm enjoying it for the time being. I'm sure the truckers are enjoying the almost empty highways and lack of idiots on the road.

My company is working from home and things are going great. I remember our IT director about 10 years ago being paranoid about a flu pandemic and taking steps to ensure we could all work from home should the need arise. Our new IT director had the budget to make it happen so it wasn't a big technological issue for us. Many of the us already worked from home one or two days a week so the transition to 100% work from home wasn't a big deal. Our CEO says we're all adults and need to get our work done but cautions us not to overwork and encourages us to take a staycation if needed. I'm getting a ton more work done from home and not spending a dime on gasoline. Haven't worn proper pants in over a month.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Blue Cross Blue Shield in Chattanooga tn is looking into letting many employees do their job at home....what do you all think if many companies do this?

I can't wait to do my job from home...

"Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I'm working from home tonight as you fly from Newark to London..."

I suppose they can shoot the breeze texting as well as in the office.

I am a programmer and am able to do this. I find this is superior to commuting in all respects. Frankly, at least for me, this will be the standard work environment going forward. This proves I never really HAD to commute to work.

I find that meetings are now much less flippant. People are more cognizant of my time. People just don't randomly bother me. People email rather than call.

I wasn't used to doing this so it took some days to get into it as distractions abound.

Originally Posted by Astro14

"Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I'm working from home tonight as you fly from Newark to London..."

It's gonna happen sooner or later. True autopilot.

I will think of all you lucky white collar, stay at homers while I wedge myself into some hot dirty crack while negotiating repairs at the coal fired power plant. Jealous I am!

Originally Posted by sloinker
I will think of all you lucky white collar, stay at homers while I wedge myself into some hot dirty crack while negotiating repairs at the coal fired power plant. Jealous I am!

To be fair, most white collar STEM majors are not lucky. They set goals based on what they valued and then they worked hard to achieve those goals. They busted their butz through undergrad and grad school. They studied hard and long hours based on their own ambition, not someone simply handing them an engineering or computer science degree. They sacrificed their free time and chose to study when everyone else was out having fun. They chose subjects with difficult and complex coursework.

All this for the privilege to work 50 or 60+ hours a week and get paid for 40.

To be clear, this is not a complaint. Nor is it a judgement of those who chose a path other than white collar work.
It is just a statement of the facts of what is needed to get to that white collar job with the opportunity to work from home.

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I hate leaving the house. I'd love to do something where I didnt have to.

I have been working in my home office 3-4 days a week for about 10 years now. The thing I most like about it is that I am working at home. The thing that I most dislike about it is that I am working from home. I sometimes miss getting out and seeing people.

I sat next to a few drone pilots on their way to 1000 palms, :), maybe Airbus will add the feature in the near future, Airbus COVID mod?

Originally Posted by Kruse
My wife is a computer programmer for a company you all have heard of and she works from home. She has worked from home since 1997. This is the language she uses to program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS

There's some memories. About thirty years ago there were a number of library automation packages written in MUMPS. Our shop even had a home grown one. Library MARC records had a thousand different types of tagged fields that could be of any length and repeated any number of times. The only thing similar at that time was medical records. Unfortunately a public library database had to have a lot more throughput than one designed for medical records and (as far as I remember) all MUMPS installations died in the nineties. Brought back memories, though. Lots of MUMPS programmers were quite strange.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by sloinker

To be fair, most white collar STEM majors are not lucky. They set goals based on what they valued and then they worked hard to achieve those goals. They busted their butz through undergrad and grad school. They studied hard and long hours based on their own ambition, not someone simply handing them an engineering or computer science degree. They sacrificed their free time and chose to study when everyone else was out having fun. They chose subjects with difficult and complex coursework.

All this for the privilege to work 50 or 60+ hours a week and get paid for 40.

To be clear, this is not a complaint. Nor is it a judgement of those who chose a path other than white collar work.
It is just a statement of the facts of what is needed to get to that white collar job with the opportunity to work from home.

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I agree with your sentiments. I'm not so sure that most folks working from home have advanced degrees. I may be wrong. It would be interesting to see the data of curriculum vitae and working from home since the current times came about.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by Kruse
My wife is a computer programmer for a company you all have heard of and she works from home. She has worked from home since 1997. This is the language she uses to program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS

There's some memories. About thirty years ago there were a number of library automation packages written in MUMPS. Our shop even had a home grown one. Library MARC records had a thousand different types of tagged fields that could be of any length and repeated any number of times. The only thing similar at that time was medical records. Unfortunately a public library database had to have a lot more throughput than one designed for medical records and (as far as I remember) all MUMPS installations died in the nineties. Brought back memories, though. Lots of MUMPS programmers were quite strange.

Yes, she does programming in the medical field. The hierarchy claims that MUMPS will be eliminated within 10 years. All the MUMPS programmers say there is no way it can be eliminated by then.
I don't consider my wife too strange.
lol.gif

Well that'd just be like a drone. And maybe if there's no pilot on board, they don't have to have such strict security because they can't shoot you if you're not on the plane.

I can do a big part of my job from home, but I still have to show the house and go out to see properties. Only good thing about that is that it can't be outsourced to a foreign country.

Back