'19 BMW X3 2.0 Turbo

Going to look at low miles (5200) used '19 with 2.0L turbo. Salesman on phone said they provide 3 oil/filter changes using a blend, recommended change every 7500. He said up to 12K if you use full synthetic. I'd never go 12, but does 7500 sound ok with a blend?

What does the OM say the oil requirements are?

Never heard of a "blend" meeting any BMW specs. I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be taking "salesman" advice for maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
What does the OM say the oil requirements are?

Never heard of a "blend" meeting any BMW specs. I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be taking "salesman" advice for maintenance.

This.

You're usually lucky if the salesperson even knows where the service dept is.

Originally Posted by tc1446
Salesman on phone said they provide 3 oil/filter changes using a blend,

Has the salesman heard of BMW LL oil spec?

Part of the answer lies in how you are going to drive it. Short trips or long highway miles? I'm guessing your weather is fairly moderate so that may not be a factor.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Salesman on phone said they provide 3 oil/filter changes using a blend,

Has the salesman heard of BMW LL oil spec?

The salesman is woefully informed at best. Run the oil spec cited in the owners manual(likely LL-01FE) and use an OCI of 10,000 miles/one year.

Likely it's LL04 Ow-20. A full synthetic as their oil temperatures run about 240F. 12k on an oil change is like their lifetime transmission fluid, smoke and mirrors. 4.8qts IIRC.

Originally Posted by xyxptlx
Likely it's LL04 Ow-20. A full synthetic as their oil temperatures run about 240F. 12k on an oil change is like their lifetime transmission fluid, smoke and mirrors. 4.8qts IIRC.

Smoke and mirrors are everywhere then since there are no 0W-20 grades with Longlife-04 approval.

B48 engine - same block I have in the Mini. I think you will find the owners manual specifies the following standards - LL01FE, LL14FE or LL17FE and grades 0W20 or 0W30.

Going to look at low miles (5200) used '19 with 2.0L turbo. Salesman on phone said they provide 3 oil/filter changes using a blend, recommended change every 7500. He said up to 12K if you use full synthetic. I'd never go 12, but does 7500 sound ok with a blend?

Run away from that person as fast as possible!
B48 engine can go with LL01, LL01FE, LL14FE and LL17FE oils.
I personally would use LL01 oils, and you can find it locally in your Wal Mart or Advance Auto parts or Auto Zone.
Questions about BMW ask in European Vehicle sections as you will get better answers.

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:

Just a FYI...technically LL-17FE could be considered the the 0w20 version of LL-04.

BMW dealers use BMW-branded Shell GTL. I suppose a purist would consider it a "blend" because it's not 100 percent PAO but in reality this line of oil is of very high quality. The top end of these engines remain spotless on that interval. BMW reduced the mileage interval to 10k about 8 yrs ago however the minimum is 1 yr regardless of miles. I suspect it's possible that if you were all highway 12k miles might be the absolute max allowed.

A couple of things with BMW and oil changes.

#1 Do NOT under any circumstances reset the oil change interval if you perform a mid-interval oil change.
#2 The vehicle will not extend out the interval just because you changed the oil. Ex, Change oil with 7.5k miles on the odometer, the vehicle won't extend out to 17k miles on the odometer.
#3 BMW maintains a record of dealer oil changes. This record will determine your eligibility for the BMW extended warranty if you happen to choose to acquire one down the line. I don't know if this applies to third party warranties sold by the dealer.
#4 I've been told that the oil weight is determined by BMWNA. If they require the dealer to use the 0w20, then you will get the 0w20.

Last edited:

The vehicle comes with included maintenance for 4 years/50k miles following the maintenance minder. And the B48 engines get 0W20. Sounds like that salesman has not worked at BMW very long.

Last edited:
Took a quick look today at '19 X3; too tired after test driving a Lexus ux250H hybrid and an Acura RDX. The X3 was immaculate inside and out on showroom floor. It is a BMW Certified vehicle with remainder of 4 year Warranty (3 years). Other stuff thrown in like most dealers, lifetime washes, 3 Synthetic oil/filter changes.., etc. Going back Monday to test drive it.

Any big "CON's" on this model?

Last edited:
No red flags at all, they are solid. I would go beyond BMWs service regimen and change the coolant every two years as well as change the transfer case fluid, ATF, and final drive oil at 60k miles, but that's it. They are even fun to drive; I've been tempted by more than one M40i.
The B48 I4 is a great engine and the ZF 8HP is about the best automatic available. Me, I would want the M Sport, Adaptive LEDs, Cold Weather Package, and H-K sound. Regardless, they are outstanding vehicles- the X3 is the sweet spot of BMW SUVs.

Other stuff thrown in like most dealers, lifetime washes, 3 Synthetic oil/filter changes..,

Oil changes are not "thrown in." They are included with the car straight from the manufacturer, as part of regularly scheduled maintenance during warranty period.

Back