Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is out.

I did a clean install on one of my drives, but haven't played around with it much yet.

On my other drive, I think I'll wait for the .1 release before I upgrade.

That means Mint 20 is right around the corner.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I did a clean install on one of my drives, but haven't played around with it much yet.

On my other drive, I think I'll wait for the .1 release before I upgrade.

So you just don't want to adopt a newly released version? A .1 download is just a repackaged install iso so there aren't 900Mb of updates I believe. I don't think it is regarded as any more stable than a out of the gate install with all the updates applied.

I find that new releases installed from scratch are far better than an in place upgrade; (tho i have not tried one in years)

Last edited:
I see they've finally given i386 the axe, in 18.04 they didn't make a mainstream Ubuntu Desktop ISO, although most of the "flavors" offered one, for 18.10 to 19.10 they only offered 32-bit via the minimal network installer but now they gave it the final axing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
WireGuard VPN is included.

How do you mean "included"? Is it on the ISO? I thought Wireguard has a PPA - meaning their install files aren't even in official repositories.

Will wait til the .1 comes out before going Ubuntu Mate on my Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny. Have a thirteen year old low end laptop that's going Peppermint 11 when that finally catches the 20.04 update. Sitting unused in a box now.

A .1 download is just a repackaged install iso so there aren't 900Mb of updates I believe. I don't think it is regarded as any more stable than a out of the gate install with all the updates applied.

My guess is those 900 MB of updates come out for a reason - among other things to address any bugs identified by early adopters during those first few months after the official release. Not every single bug is caught during beta testing. Since I am not in any rush to install bleeding edge stuff, I have no problems waiting.

I am actually still on 16.04 release on my media server, and not planning to install Ubuntu from scratch there as that would require a lot of additional app installs and configuration afterwards.

I find that new releases installed from scratch are far better than an in place upgrade; (tho i have not tried one in years)

Yeah, I tried upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04 and it got messed up - I couldn't boot from that drive anymore. I had to do a fresh clean install of 20.04.

I generally upgrade (with clean install) as each LTS comes out;

WireGuard VPN is included.

This is a FYI post, not specifically designed to champion its adoption or advocate upgrading.

Thanks for the heads-up.

WireGuard appears to be officially supported in 20.04.

Sometimes I think Ubuntu releases new LTS frequently because that allows them (by their own policy) to stop supporting their ante-penultimate LTS release much sooner. But 18.04 has promised 10 year support (latter 5 only if you pay and use HWE), so there's that. 18.04 has been good, but some of the older LTS's were a mess.

I personally will NOT miss any 386 support. What is that, pre-Core II Intel and some Atoms? I doubt many will miss it.

Originally Posted by HangFire

I personally will NOT miss any 386 support. What is that, pre-Core II Intel and some Atoms? I doubt many will miss it.

I'm not really gonna miss it, 18.04 was already pretty heavy on the P4-M/Pentium M era machines I installed it on to play around with, about the only non 32bit computers that'd probably be fast enough to support a modern OS and be useable would probably be laptops from around 2006 that came equip with the higher clocked Core Duo (Yonah) CPUs, but that might be kind of a stretch, wouldn't surprise me if the graphics drivers for those era machines have been deprecated now and the X server would run in software mode.

I haven't run Peppermint since V7, but I think its 32 bit distro will continue in V11 based on 20.04. If I remember correctly Peppermint was a bit too Xubuntuish for me, but it's certainly slicker than Lubuntu and was completely trouble free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
Sometimes I think Ubuntu releases new LTS frequently because that allows them (by their own policy) to stop supporting their ante-penultimate LTS release much sooner. But 18.04 has promised 10 year support (latter 5 only if you pay and use HWE), so there's that. 18.04 has been good, but some of the older LTS's were a mess.

LTS releases are every 2 years and are supported for 5 years (a few more years after that for those paying Canonical for support contracts) . Non-LTS releases are every 6 months and are supported for 9 months. Almost all users are strongly encouraged only to use LTS unless they want to test or take part in development, or because they require some new feature or technology.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I just installed Xubuntu 20.04 on a 5 or 6 year old laptop a couple of days ago and it works well, but the lack of 32-bit libraries means some older applications will not run. (For me the most important is TeamViewer 11 which I use to work on remote Windows systems. For now I installed a Windows virtual machine to run it.)

My only real complaint is the touchpad is overly sensitive, something that was also the case with my previously installed Xubuntu 14.04. It may be due to cheap hardware but the problem wasn't nearly as bad with the Windows this machine originally came with. I did enable the feature to turn off the touchpad while typing but things will still go flying around the screen if I'm not careful.

Originally Posted by Saabist
I just installed Xubuntu 20.04 on a 5 or 6 year old laptop a couple of days ago and it works well, but the lack of 32-bit libraries means some older applications will not run. (For me the most important is TeamViewer 11 which I use to work on remote Windows systems. For now I installed a Windows virtual machine to run it.)

My only real complaint is the touchpad is overly sensitive, something that was also the case with my previously installed Xubuntu 14.04. It may be due to cheap hardware but the problem wasn't nearly as bad with the Windows this machine originally came with. I did enable the feature to turn off the touchpad while typing but things will still go flying around the screen if I'm not careful.

Isn't TeamViewer's installer basically a lite WINE framework with the Windows executable in it? Good gravy, if I can no longer install TeamViewer then a strongly-worded letter may be in order.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

Isn't TeamViewer's installer basically a lite WINE framework with the Windows executable in it? Good gravy, if I can no longer install TeamViewer then a strongly-worded letter may be in order.

EDIT: I can confirm that TeamViewer installs just fine on 20.04. I am almost certain the installer is bundled with the libraries it needs to function.

EDIT: I can confirm that TeamViewer installs just fine on 20.04. I am almost certain the installer is bundled with the libraries it needs to function.

The latest TeamViewer installs fine, but he wanted TeamViewer 11 specifically, which is quite old and may have some specific requirements.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
The latest TeamViewer installs fine, but he wanted TeamViewer 11 specifically, which is quite old and may have some specific requirements.

As you say, TeamViewer 15 (which is now Linux native, not wine-based) installs and runs just fine. However my license is for TeamViewer 11 and I'm not really interested in signing onto their new "software as a service, pay us in perpetuity" business model.

It boils down to a handful of missing 32-bit libraries which are not available in the repositories. (The newest Ubuntu I've successfully run TV11 on is 18.04.) I can look into grabbing the library sources and compiling them myself when I have time, but for now it works fine in a Windows VM.

Did an inplace upgrade to 20.04 and it went well.

OTOH; a major fail as they have decided to removed the option of having a plain color desktop backgroup; there is a hack to reenable; the only options are precanned pictures or to add a picture.

I guess I am part of the minority; i don't use pictures for my background, not kids, not dogs, not a autumn tree lined walkway I guess someone hired a UI dropout to decide to drop plain color backgrounds.

Back