Is it possible to repair Oster blenders?

We have a Oster blender (can't figure out the model number and its not on Oster's website anymore) for blending very small portions. The size is great (and unique) where you can just use a ball jar as a blender container. The other day Oster blender started smelling like burning rubber and stopped working. I wonder if there is any way to figure out what burned and can be replaced easily. YouTube wasn't very useful. Its not an expensive blender but if it is a quick fix, I really do not want to spend another $60 for a similar blender that doesn't get used often but required in the kitchen.

If dismantling and posting pictures help to figure out, I will do that.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Blender works but doesn't have the power it used to have

Last edited:
Well being the internet expert that I am, my guess would be that some wire in the blender either overheated, causing the smell. And if most of the copper strands in that wire have broke, that is not letting the needed amount electricity get to the motor. That's why it's not spinning as fast as needed. If your handy, try replacing what ever looks burned, and give it a go. Just make sure it's unplugged when your working on it. Good luck

Probably gummed up bearings putting an extra load on the motor. Take the thing apart and figure out what's going on. My Dad used to tell me "If somebody put it together, you can take it apart".

Look at it this way; if you totally mess it up, it was no good to begin with. Nothing ventured nothing gained. And all the rest of the quotes you can find!

Originally Posted by JohnG
Look at it this way; if you totally mess it up, it was no good to begin with. Nothing ventured nothing gained. And all the rest of the quotes you can find!

thumbsup2.gif

At first I was gonna say "why bother?" but considering it's already garbage, what's the worst that can happen?

Magic Bullet. Only $30. Works great. I've made many many protein smoothies in mine. It demolishes ice cubes.

if the motor armature or commutator are burned, or if one or more bars on the commutator are different colors, it is scrap. If you have good brushes, then you can usually clean and lube and get more life. The cheap wound field motors have very fine wire in the field coils, and they fry easy and usually first. If you need brushes, and can get some close to the right size, you can sand them to fit,. finding what you need is tough sometimes even with the internet.

Rod

Does the shaft spin freely by hand? If not you may just need to clean and oil the bearings. Avoid getting oil on other parts especially the commutator and brushes.

Was it struggling under heavy load when it "started smelling like burning rubber and stopped"? If so, it may have shorted windings, in which case the motor is definitely (as ragtoplvr said) "scrap". Does the armature turn freely by hand? If misalignment is allowing armature laminations to scrub against field laminations, that's probably fatal, too.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
... The cheap wound field motors have very fine wire in the field coils, and they fry easy and usually first. ...
The armature wire is likely finer, because the current in them is only half that in the field wire of a typical cheap series-wound universal motor. Which will "fry" first is not predictable without knowing the wire gauges and other variables.

Otherwise, good post.

If the problem is due to a sleeve bearing that does not turn easily toss the blender. You cannot oil a sleeve bearing and get it to work for any period of time. Doubt you can replace a sleeve bearing in a blender.

Ball bearing is a different story.

sad to say but most small appliances are throw away but if your like me I would tear into it and see ...maybe something easy to repair

Tear it apart and look around. Could be a commutator/brush issue or a bearing/bushing. They have generic brushes and sleeve bearings at ACO and online if youre really determined. Otherwise that Food Ninja idea sounds good

Back