Do you keep spare fluids in your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I have always felt that someone who drive an old British car-no matter how well maintained-is taking their lives in their hands if they don't carry a full complement of fluids. Of course, my hoses and belt are new, but I still carry spares with me also(belt is my last removed good one, which was changed to be safe and will get me home if need be, one hose is brand new and one is a good pull), a spare fuel pump, some fuel hose, a complete ready to go distributor with new points cap and rotor, spark plugs, a coil, and a few basic tools.

Modern cars usually have a quart of oil just in case, but none of them leak so I usually end up cycling it out at the next oil change.

I've never had a sealed bottle leak. Opened ones-all bets are off as far as whether or not they'll hold. I have a big plastic tub in the trunk of my MG that all the spare fluids sit in.

One that if you're going to carry "just in case" that I highly encourage buying a small, cheap container and discarding when used is brake fluid. A 12 oz. bottle of store brand DOT3/4 is usually a couple of dollars. Once open, it's virtually guaranteed to leak, and if you need it again a month after opening it's probably trash anyway. Get yourself home, fix the problem, and throw away anything that's left over in opened containers.

Had to smile when I read this. Drove MG's and Triumph's since the 60's. Had my last one a 71 MGB for 35 years. Always had an assortment of spare parts, tools and oil in the trunk. Saved me many times Spare fuel pump was a never leave home without it item.

Just a bottle of water in case one of those nasty BUZZARDS decides to target my car. In the Florida sun, that stuff will eat right through Mercedes paint!
mad.gif

I used to keep a liter of M1 15w50 in the trunk of the BMW as a habit the PO of it used to do (had a very slight weep from the head gasket).
Since having the gasket replaced the car doesn't leak or burn anything, so no, I don't carry extra fluids in either vehicle.

I do however carry jumper cables in the Lexus as I hate not being able to assist others who are stranded.
It's happened b4 and I felt terrible not being able to assist someone with something I am proficient with (auto maintenance/repairs).

The Grand Caravan we used to own leaked oil pretty bad so I always had a quart (or two) under the seat. My f150 burns a little so I keep a half full quart in it now. The rest of my cars don't ever get low on anything and I maintain them really well so I don't know why I still carry a half quart in my Mustang.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
The Grand Caravan we used to own leaked oil pretty bad so I always had a quart (or two) under the seat. My f150 burns a little so I keep a half full quart in it now. The rest of my cars don't ever get low on anything and I maintain them really well so I don't know why I still carry a half quart in my Mustang.

I had a friend of a friend in college that kept cases of Kmart oil in his trunk, there were times he said he had to pull off the freeway commuting to school so he could add oil. Whatever the vehicle was it had a brown and yellow (?) checkered vinyl top (many rust bubbles) and the body was brush-painted forest green.

I usually don't keep anything, now I almost always have a bottle or two of drinking water in the car so if I would need anything in the rad , I would just use that till I could get back and repair

I keep a quart of ATF and the remainder of the jug of motor oil (since it takes 6 quarts I always have a partially full 5qt jug floating around), and a gallon of coolant. I don't bother with power steering fluid because I can always use the ATF for that if need be, and I don't bother with brake fluid because if I'm leaking that I'm going to call AAA.

Not really--usually the vehicles are too new to need that.

My beater though I did put some fluids into the trunk, just in case, but so far, it hasn't needed them. I think I still keep a quart of oil in the trunk as the car does use oil, just not a lot, and I top off at home.

Originally Posted by Bud
[
Had to smile when I read this. Drove MG's and Triumph's since the 60's. Had my last one a 71 MGB for 35 years. Always had an assortment of spare parts, tools and oil in the trunk. Saved me many times Spare fuel pump was a never leave home without it item.

In the MG community, sometimes a new owner doesn't appreciate features like the self lubricating chassis, the self-flushing brakes and clutch, and the self-washing interior during a rainstorm. We tell those people to buy a Miata
smile.gif

The rest of us live with all of those...features...because the rest of the car is worth it
smile.gif

We live in an almost frost free earthquake zone. In a worst case situation we could get stranded on the road somewhere (due to bridges out etc). So we carry a small supply of water and high energy food.

Yes, I keep a quart or two of oil in my oil-burners. They burn about a quart in 1000 miles, maybe a tad more at constant interstate speeds, or when substantially loaded. Saves finding a Wal-Mart on a road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back