Scotty knocks it out of the park again.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by AC1DD

Arrogance and condescension[sic] hallmarks of the automotive industry.
crazy2.gif

Excellent point- except for the salient fact that I don't work in the automotive industry.

You took the sic/grammer bait.

whistle.gif
happy2.gif

Last edited:
he posts a ton of click bait, and basically hates everything that does not say Honda or Toyota on it. I have no idea why he has so many followers....

Originally Posted by tomcat27
he posts a ton of click bait, and basically hates everything that does not say Honda or Toyota on it. I have no idea why he has so many followers....

Have you seen his recent videos concerning Toyota and Honda....very critical lately, he was very favorable to them in the past because of their good reliability but things have changed for the most recent models of both makes and he changed his opinion of them.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
AC1DD said:
MCompact said:
He's a tool, a dangerous tool, which is why he gets money thrown at him, just like the orange monkey in casablanca.

I suppose he IS dangerous to the automotive industry, and as a consumer that's just fine with me. It's a very sleazy and unscrupulous industry whether car makers or service and repair the carp he uncovers and reveals is priceless to consumers.

You would take your vehicle to a guy that works in his backyard on dirt/gravel? I don't see how he can take pride in his work when his work area is a total pigsty?

He basically can't do any major repairs, Probably the reason he talks $h!t about any job/repair that requires an actual facility & equipment to perform?

Originally Posted by JTK
Scotty K did a video last week on not buying certain models of Fords, Subarus or Nissans because of them having engines with timing chain driven water pumps and the issues that can arise with coolant leaking into the engine oil.

I get it that some newer FWD based Ford 3.5's had issues, but he ranted about Nissan VQ35's and Subaru 6cyls and how awful they are with this design. Has anyone ever heard of a VQ loosing it's water pump and ruining the engine? Or the Subaru 6?

I like his videos for the comedic value, but man he's got some followers!

I had a patient that told me his G37 wrecked itself when the timing belt broke. He wasn't really a "car guy", but he did specifically say it ruined the entire engine and the timing chain breaking was the cause. Then again, it coulda just been a fluke, as the entire 2 years I had a VQ37 and was on the Nissan forums, I didn't hear of a single one doing this.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
AC1DD said:
MCompact said:
He's a tool, a dangerous tool, which is why he gets money thrown at him, just like the orange monkey in casablanca.

I suppose he IS dangerous to the automotive industry, and as a consumer that's just fine with me. It's a very sleazy and unscrupulous industry whether car makers or service and repair the carp he uncovers and reveals is priceless to consumers.

You would take your vehicle to a guy that works in his backyard on dirt/gravel? I don't see how he can take pride in his work when his work area is a total pigsty?

He basically can't do any major repairs, Probably the reason he talks $h!t about any job/repair that requires an actual facility & equipment to perform?

My cousin's shop wasn't so different, and that dude was a magician with older cars. Newer cars, mainly a body work magician, but older stuff? He was running 11's@120+ in the 1970's in his daily drivers. Timeslips, pictures, everything to prove it, not just running his mouth. Many people with pig sty work areas know EXACTLY where things are in their heap of mess. It may not be my style or yours, but I've seen too many rogue geniuses who work in pig stys to discount them.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by clinebarger
AC1DD said:
MCompact said:

My cousin's shop wasn't so different, and that dude was a magician with older cars. Newer cars, mainly a body work magician, but older stuff? He was running 11's@120+ in the 1970's in his daily drivers. Timeslips, pictures, everything to prove it, not just running his mouth. Many people with pig sty work areas know EXACTLY where things are in their heap of mess. It may not be my style or yours, but I've seen too many rogue geniuses who work in pig stys to discount them.

One of the best mechanics I knew never worked in a shop with a lift, and it often appeared to be a mess.

Another mechanic had one of the most elaborate Snap-on set-ups I've ever seen. And he was a hack.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Can't comment on this Scotty guy, as I've only watched part of one video.

Last edited:
I've got this big grin on my face as I read all these posts. Follow me on this....

And we wonder why he has so many followers? Look at how many comments we have made here in this one thread. On a YouTube "mechanic?" I'm still smiling.

I'm gonna have to "unsubscribe" from it. LOL

Originally Posted by JTK
Scotty K did a video last week on not buying certain models of Fords, Subarus or Nissans because of them having engines with timing chain driven water pumps and the issues that can arise with coolant leaking into the engine oil.

I get it that some newer FWD based Ford 3.5's had issues, but he ranted about Nissan VQ35's and Subaru 6cyls and how awful they are with this design. Has anyone ever heard of a VQ loosing it's water pump and ruining the engine? Or the Subaru 6?

I like his videos for the comedic value, but man he's got some followers!

Did you read the comments? Apparently he was talking about nothing because the engine is designed to prevent coolant from getting into the crankcase if the water pump fails.

In any case I think he does make some good points at times. Especially when it comes to the sales/service experience with dealers and recalls (ex, Ford DSG, Toyota 8 speed transmissions, extensive use of thermoplastic parts within the engine bay). IMO Scotty believe durability should be a priority and one can pay extra for performance/luxury. He gets unnerved when durability gets sacrificed for those things.

He is in his 60's and yet still crawling around on his back getting under cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by MCompact
Scotty is like a blind pig- he finds an acorn every now and then. Every time I see him all I can think is that a village is missing its idiot.

People enjoy watching idiots. How many people watch Richard Feynman talk about quantum mechanics?

Me!

Not sure what's the bigger trigger on here, Scotty or NFL.. People just need to communicate that they don't like Scotty. My wife came home from work one day and said she heard at her work about some loud mouthed guy on youtube that loves Toyotas and makes a lot of videos and asked me if I knew of him. I showed a video of his to the wife. She watched for a minute, said, "ooh, he likes his coffee." and walked away.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I've got this big grin on my face as I read all these posts. Follow me on this....

And we wonder why he has so many followers? Look at how many comments we have made here in this one thread. On a YouTube "mechanic?" I'm still smiling.

Exactly, I was going to post the same thing.

Originally Posted by Gebo

You do know that he had his own car-talk show in Houston back in the mid 1990's - early 2000's and won an Emmy because of it. IJS.

Yes, he's over the top, but that's the entertainment business, and yes part of that is the result of editing, and yes he has sometimes been a little loose with his advice, but he's not just a "mechanic". The guy has a a history of tools as well as scan tools that put the majority of BITOGer's to shame. Even for a shade tree mechanic who's semi-retired and enjoys getting out of the house for a few hours per day rather than sitting on his arse collecting dust.

The guy is now a millionaire from saying all that crazy stuff, so he obviously knows what he is doing.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Scotty in the auto world.
Look for Ken Rockwell in the photo world for a similar story.

I worked at the Navy Research Lab in the '80s for a genius who designed UV cameras that went into near orbit on small rockets.
He'd work in one lab-room until it got too full of stuff, then migrate to another.
When the third room started to get full it was time to clear out of the first.

Keeping it automotive, when he decided to buy his first car (in his 40s)
he decided to keep it minimal and bought a Yugo.
sick.gif

I find it funny how he complains about BMWs and when he gets behind the wheel of one, guns it. Presumably with an unconscious smile on his face.

Back