Tesla has 3B miles of data on AP

In February, Tesla reached 3,000,000,000 miles worth of AutoPilot driving data from more than 50 countries.
200,000 automated lane changes.

From a technology standpoint, there is no other car that compares.
With each update, our Teslas keep getting better.
Can your car see an orange traffic cone?
The $200K Taycan Turbo is awesome but from a tech standpoint it pales in comparison to a $50K Model 3.

AP 3B miles of data

I was on the Coast last year visiting relatives last year and it seemed every other car was a Tesla around the cities, much less so in the sticks. Maybe having to do with range. I was surprised by the number of quick charge stations out in the middle of nowhere.

No thanks to paying $50k for a model 3 just to get AP. I very much like to drive, thank you. If I don't want to drive, I'll take the train.

The data gathering and development process is neat. I wonder how much of that is in no contrast scenarios?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
In February, Tesla reached 3,000,000,000 miles worth of AutoPilot driving data from more than 50 countries.

The $200K Taycan Turbo is awesome but from a tech standpoint it pales in comparison to a $50K Model 3.

AP 3B miles of data

Even if it was 100 percent safe AP still wouldn't impress me. It's just not a feature that i care about because I actually enjoy the act of driving because if its inherent risk. AP is the latest example of technology continuing its slow march towards the emasculation of the male species. I'm not interested in living in a risk free world. That's boring as #####

Last edited:
From a Data standpoint, this is me likey: the Data Science/Analytics team mus have a lot of "fun", especially with a non-standard like Elon and managers "educated" by him.

I wonder how everything ties out chronologically with the various updates and various country signage+traffic rules.

P.S. [off-topic]: I was pretty proud some years back when some parts from the SpaceX rocket launched had been run through laser inscribing programs made by (my evil twin brother) :p. I know, not comparing with the actual tight-specs machining, but pretty good for somebody born in a country far-far-away.
Some pretty bright non-standard aero industry people...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

AP 3B miles of data

Even if it was 100 percent safe AP still wouldn't impress me. It's just not a feature that i care about because I actually enjoy the act of driving because if its inherent risk. AP is the latest example of technology continuing its slow march towards the emasculation of the male species. I'm not interested in living in a risk free world. That's boring as #####

[off-topic]:
Come on, ATL and neighboring hills/mountains is plenty of fun even (for me) in a wavy mini-minivan.
Leave the AP to the trendy suburbanites + urbanites and let's have our fun. You are in the territory of no-rust....

Nice. I can't wait until it's legal to have the car drive itself. Would save so much time on long drives.

AP 3B miles of data

You have officially earned your place on the Tesla Fanboy roster
wink.gif

When they figure out how to have the car maneuver through times square in a normal rush hour without any human input, then I'd be interested.

Data is power. It has so many uses, beyond what it was originally designed for.
In computer science, we call that "extending".

AP data capture is not so much about taking things away from people; rather it is for extending what the car can do; what people can do.
Teslas get safer, more fun and better with real world driving information.
Continuous car development decisions can be properly evaluated with data. It's called science.

By the way, Teslas are a blast to drive. Personally I hardly use AP.

Dang Jeff … Tesla needs to bring back the hippie van …
set that puppy on AP and hop in the back to, eh, get a nap ...´

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

wink.gif

I believe you know Tesla is #1, by far, in customer satisfaction, according to Consumer Reports.
CR considers this a critical metric.
While certainly not for everyone, this car is the future. It is so much more than electric.

Drive one.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

AP 3B miles of data

[off-topic]:
Come on, ATL and neighboring hills/mountains is plenty of fun even (for me) in a wavy mini-minivan.
Leave the AP to the trendy suburbanites + urbanites and let's have our fun. You are in the territory of no-rust....

True

wink.gif

I believe you know Tesla is #1, by far, in customer satisfaction, according to Consumer Reports.
While certainly not for everyone, this car is the future. It is so much more than electric.

Drive one.

The same has been said about VW and Subaru.
wink.gif

Cost and not very suitable for long range driving, like a lot of mine is, is why I'm not interested. I can see a + for local driving however, but the cost is why they will never be affordable for most Americans.

My daughter lives 300 miles away, how nice it would be to have the car start out at 1 am, and I recline the seat and sleep. I wake up in the parking lot at Walmart, get breakfast and have a nice visit well rested. Then when time to leave I leave late Sunday, and wake in my driveway, go inside and finish my sleep and then go to work.

Rod

Originally Posted by tig1
Cost and not very suitable for long range driving, like a lot of mine is, is why I'm not interested. I can see a + for local driving however, but the cost is why they will never be affordable for most Americans.

Economics drives everything, as you astutely point out with the affordability factor being in the negative for the majority of the car buying public. Tesla remains a boutique brand, occupying a niche until price goes down and practicality goes up. Practicality being the ability to whiz into a charging station available as prolifically as gas/diesel stations, and spend no more than, say, ten minutes max recharging the thing up to foster a driving distance range competitive with that yielded when filling up a gas or diesel vehicle. Given the global economic depression that is coming due to refusal to let commerce run free again, Tesla is not rising out of their niche/boutique status anytime soon. Being the darling of the 1% will not get it done.

wink.gif

Drive one.

That metric is skewed, and here's why: People who buy a Tesla are buying it because they want precisely ONLY a Tesla. The Tesla owner is not someone who, in need of a new vehicle, went comparison shopping the way most consumers do. They wanted a *Tesla*. Or they simply wanted an EV, but then there is little else out there as competing EV's to shop the Tesla against. This type of consumer is essentially an enthusiast for the brand and gauging customer satisfaction of a owner base that are enthusiasts of the brand does not produce the same validity in customer satisfaction polling/surveys as it does for consumers shopping a market segment where many different brands have competitive offerings. It's like Subaru's customer base years ago before they had the broader market appeal they have today-- Subaru owners tended to be fiercely loyal to the point that polling the ownership base for customer satisfaction would yield a result where loyalty/bias for the brand would upwardly skew the satisfaction responses to the poll.

Back