New Motul Lineup

So, I was looking through Motul lineup last few days, and I stumbled across some interesting info.
First of all, I did not look before carefully into new X-Clean+ line which is VW504.00/507.00, BMW LL04, MB229.51, although it is out some time. What is interesting about this is KV100 is 11.7, but HTHS is very solid 3.6. I think I will actually try this in Tiguan next time.
Motul X-Clean+ 5W30

Another ones are 5W40 lineup. X-Cess and X-Clean. It seems Motul is going strong with HTHS. I was always lukewarm about their oils as KV10 was high, but HTHS was not any better than some other oils with lower KV100.
So, 5W40 X-Clean Gen2 has KV100 13.5 while HTHS is 3.9.
Motul X-Clean Gen2 5W40

Now, X-Cess Gen2 is not yet available in the US, but it is in Europe. Probably it will find its way here.
Same KV100 as X-Clean, 13.5, but HTHS is bit lower at 3.8.
Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W40

I was never that impressed by performance numbers Motul posted, never used them. But I will now give it a try in VW and BMW. Unfortunately, we do not make too many miles on Tiguan, around 5K a year, so you guys will have to wait for UOA probably until end of next year, unless some of you do it.
I will try it in BMW too. But BMW is port injection, so not really good measurement for DI engines. Will see, I do a lot of miles on BMW (well did before this crisis, but still doing 1000 a month).
But, here you go. If someone is willing to do UOA we can get more info.

Edit: X-Cess Gen2 is BMW LL01 approved. I think this answers question whether LL01 is obsolete or not.

Last edited:
Back when I had my 335d and was able to perform oil changes on the down low, I looked hard at the X-Clean line (Gen 1 at that time) because the VW guys would always buy up retail stock of M1 ESP 5w30 (507/LL04), and the BMW dealers were price gouging on their Castrol SLX LL04. Depending on how you look at it I never wound up buying the Motul. Hopefully it's price competitive.

Last edited:
If Motul was easier to source here in North America, and a reasonable price, I would probably be still using it. It is treated here like a boutique oil. I have since switched to the Pennzoil Euro 5W40 instead. When it goes on sale, it is 1/4 the price of the Motul I was buying.

Funny enough, I'd switch to PP Euro, but I can't find the 5Q anywhere for a good price consistently. I've been using Motul XCess 5w-40 and liking it. I've been considering switching to Castrol 0W-40/5w-40 since it is cheaper and more readily available, but I have a bit of a problem with brand loyalty due to fanboy-ism from the past. It's been working, so I haven't changed it.

OP, if you were never impressed by Motul's numbers as compared to Castrol or other brand, why are you using it then? I get that they aren't superior, they win and lose in some tests.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

First of all, I did not look before carefully into new X-Clean+ line which is VW504.00/507.00, BMW LL04, MB229.51, although it is out some time. What is interesting about this is KV100 is 11.7, but HTHS is very solid 3.6.

The 8100 X-clean+ has indeed been out for a while, at least 7 years.

I didn't catch the point about the KV100 / HTHS combination. All of the 5W30 C3 / VW504 oils will have HTHS >= 3.5 and many have KV100 in the high 11s. Elf, Motul, Total and Shell are all in the 11.7 - 12.2 range.

X-clean+ currently in the Audi and will probably change in the summer to Shell or Petronas. I wasn't planning on a UOA as the miles will be less than 2000 (changing on time and not mileage). I could be persuaded though if its really of interest to the community.
11.gif

Originally Posted by NuttCase

First of all, I did not look before carefully into new X-Clean+ line which is VW504.00/507.00, BMW LL04, MB229.51, although it is out some time. What is interesting about this is KV100 is 11.7, but HTHS is very solid 3.6.

The 8100 X-clean+ has indeed been out for a while, at least 7 years.

I didn't catch the point about the KV100 / HTHS combination. All of the 5W30 C3 / VW504 oils will have HTHS >= 3.5 and many have KV100 in the high 11s. Elf, Motul, Total and Shell are all in the 11.7 - 12.2 range.

X-clean+ currently in the Audi and will probably change in the summer to Shell or Petronas. I wasn't planning on a UOA as the miles will be less than 2000 (changing on time and not mileage). I could be persuaded though if its really of interest to the community.
11.gif

Most 5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4 and C3 oils have HTHS 3.5. Some time before Castrol Edge 0W30 (A3) and Mobil1 ESP Formula (C3) had HTHS 3.58. So HTHS of 3.6 with KV100 at 11.9 is really good result. Edge 0W30 and Mobil1 ESP Formula had KV100 at 12.2.

So, serious question for everyone here who has a European car:

Why are you looking at oil from anywhere other than FCP Euro?

Originally Posted by BucDan
Funny enough, I'd switch to PP Euro, but I can't find the 5Q anywhere for a good price consistently.

I've yet to see the PP Euro 5w40 in 5 Quarts anywhere, and I've moved across the country! I still can't find it.

Originally Posted by d00df00d

Not sure why we should?
But, let me play this:
1.They do not carry LL01 BMW TPT oil. If I go with that oil, I would rather go local and spend money in local dealership which is actually bit cheaper.
2. They want me to buy Liqui Moly. It is mediocre oil, and I stop using it some 19-20 years ago.
3. Pentosin is OK, but nothing special. They did not change lineup forever and not sure whether that is Pentosin or Fuchs.

Not sure why we should?

Because this can save you enough money to offset any conceivable benefit (to your engine) of any oil they don't carry.

1.They do not carry LL01 BMW TPT oil. If I go with that oil, I would rather go local and spend money in local dealership which is actually bit cheaper.

Can't argue with wanting to buy local. Just FWIW: if you see a genuine part that isn't on their website, you can give them the part number (83212365946 in this case, right?) and they'll add it to the site so you can order it.

2. They want me to buy Liqui Moly. It is mediocre oil, and I stop using it some 19-20 years ago.
3. Pentosin is OK, but nothing special. They did not change lineup forever and not sure whether that is Pentosin or Fuchs.

I'm not a fan of those brands either. But they make multiple oils that carry the relevant approvals for both your BMW and your VW, which would simplify everything and save you even more money on top of the aforementioned. If these were my cars, there's no question this is the route I'd take.

Not sure why we should?

Because this can save you enough money to offset any conceivable benefit (to your engine) of any oil they don't carry.

Can't argue with wanting to buy local. Just FWIW: if you see a genuine part that isn't on their website, you can give them the part number (83212365946 in this case, right?) and they'll add it to the site so you can order it.

I'm not a fan of those brands either. But they make multiple oils that carry the relevant approvals for both your BMW and your VW, which would simplify everything and save you even more money on top of the aforementioned. If these were my cars, there's no question this is the route I'd take.

LOL, OK. Any more marketing?
1. No, I am not going to beg someone to get me some oil they do not carry. Again, BMW dealership is close buy, have great realtionship with them, and 1ltr of TPT LL01 is $7.99. Why would I call someone to get me same oil?
2. I would not put Liqui Moly in my engine even if LL01 or VW 502.00 are gold plated on the bottle. Pentosin? Whatever. I used the, actually ordered from FCP. However, they are very secretive what is in, so no.
3. I ordered some parts from FCP. My problem is that they do not carry certain brands I like, and I most definiately will not call anyone to get me something while others offer it.

It's all good, man. Wasn't trying to come at you. Apologies if I came across that way.

I would only save about $30 (Assuming I could reuse the box used to ship my kit).

Not sure if it would be worth my time (drive to Post Office and time spent refilling empty bottles) or the customer experience at the USPS. I suppose if I changed my oil twice-year it might be worth it.

Obviously the cheaper the oil purchased the less you save because shipping costs remain the same.

Last edited:
It's all good, man. Wasn't trying to come at you. Apologies if I came across that way.

I do not think you did, it is just that I do not find them particularlu good source bcs. of variety. I do not see ATE there, for me I go elsewhere to get it. That does not mean I would not purchase some items (I did before). Actually, last night I was trying to find plastic carrier for inner right door handle which has scratches and I am upgrading audio system, so I might as well change that while I am disassembling door panels. They do not have it, ECS Tuning has black cover, but plastic part had to get on ebay.
I get that considering their business model they have to offer only certain brands that they have some deal with it, but not something I personally would go for it. Now, Pentosin 5W30 oil change package for my N52 seems good, I might get it since I am testing various oils every 5k (in that testing under no circumstances Liqui Moly is going to be used). I am not doing UOA, just doing eyeballing how smooth engine is and consumption of oil. So far TPT was really good (used 0.3ltr of oil in 5k), Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 not so much.

Sorry, I am replying to an older thread. Looking to compare the specs between Motul X-Clean Gen 2 5W40 , & a Shell Rotella T6 for use in a 2018 3.0 EcoDiesel engine. Tried searching the forum for a VOA, & didn't see one. Has anyone posted a VOA for it?

Sorry, I am replying to an older thread. Looking to compare the specs between Motul X-Clean Gen 2 5W40 , & a Shell Rotella T6 for use in a 2018 3.0 EcoDiesel engine. Tried searching the forum for a VOA, & didn't see one. Has anyone posted a VOA for it?
I just saw that they came out with a gen 2 and was looking for a voa also. I'll order some and send a sample out.

Back