Do you keep spare fluids in your car?

I have extra coolant, brake fluid and oil in ALL my vehicles for just incase

Oil bottles were the only leakers. Go figure Mobil containers are always leaking in storage or in my cars

Dave

Nope, but one has a CPO warranty and the other is new so both have roadside assistance. The odds of both being inoperative at the same time are almost nonexistent, and my wife has absolutely no desire to open the hood.

Last edited:
I do.. coolant and oil.

I have given a container of coolant to someone one time who had a big issue going on. Actually two times I have done that.

I keep a quart of oil in the back. It's a old habit.

The couple of times I've had to use it was for other people's cars.

I mototr oil when I owned a 2013 VW GTI. It needed 1/2 a quart at 4k into the oci. There is a recessed spot in the right corner of the trunk which looks like an engineer out there for the purpose. It holds the odd shaped Euro oil bottle and the U.S. oil bottles upright securely.

Always carry a spare quart of oil. Just habit I guess. Really no need to do it.

I keep a qt under the hood of my F150, it uses a qt every 1500 miles so I keep it there for when needed.
Do the same in my brother in laws truck and sisters SUV.
I am not always near my stash when I check their oil, so keeping one under their hood makes it easy. BiL truck uses a qt/~ 2,500 miles (4k OCI) and sisters SUV uses a qt/~ 5k (7.5 k OCI).

Other fluids, nope. I keep them topped off and keep up with maintenance on the vehicles. Does not guarantee no issue related to fluids, but not likely.

Not in my newer cars. By my 21 year old S70? I keep jumper cables, air compressor, OBDII scan tool. Used to keep some oil, but not recently. It very rarely goes outside of the AAA towing zone.

Only my Suburban when going on long trips (1000+ miles) because it uses 1 qt every 1200-1500 miles. I keep a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 with me to keep it topped off. It has an 8.1L big block, which works great for towing my travel trailer, but like many big blocks, it uses oil. Nothing compared to the amount of gas it uses however, LOL. My other cars, no.

I have always felt that someone who drive an old British car-no matter how well maintained-is taking their lives in their hands if they don't carry a full complement of fluids. Of course, my hoses and belt are new, but I still carry spares with me also(belt is my last removed good one, which was changed to be safe and will get me home if need be, one hose is brand new and one is a good pull), a spare fuel pump, some fuel hose, a complete ready to go distributor with new points cap and rotor, spark plugs, a coil, and a few basic tools.

Modern cars usually have a quart of oil just in case, but none of them leak so I usually end up cycling it out at the next oil change.

I've never had a sealed bottle leak. Opened ones-all bets are off as far as whether or not they'll hold. I have a big plastic tub in the trunk of my MG that all the spare fluids sit in.

One that if you're going to carry "just in case" that I highly encourage buying a small, cheap container and discarding when used is brake fluid. A 12 oz. bottle of store brand DOT3/4 is usually a couple of dollars. Once open, it's virtually guaranteed to leak, and if you need it again a month after opening it's probably trash anyway. Get yourself home, fix the problem, and throw away anything that's left over in opened containers.

Never. Only would if my car had problems and I needed to take it on a longer drive than is ideal. If the vehicle had a fluid that would leak out enough to need replenishment in my routine daily travels, I'd need a better vehicle.

No.
The only time I can remember needing a fluid was when a transmission fitting loosened and pumped me down real low.
I needed 4.0 qt. I wouldn't've been carrying 4 qts. of anything.
Ha....AW 55-50 has a manual reverse. I drove backwards to a neighbor's house.

A quart of oil fits perfectly under the hood of my Jeep, so I have one there. Probably been there 6 years or so, have never touched it since it doesn't burn oil at all.

I had a transmission cooler line break last winter from hitting a bump offroad too hard, axle hit it. Transmission fluid everywhere.

I'm going to put together a sealed small toolbox with fluids and supplies though.

I keep AF, oil, and WW fluid in the tool box on the back of the Ranger.
However, I do also use the WW fluid on the other three vehicles.

Back