Used FRAM COR3506ACC Cut Open 2002 Olds Bravada Mileage Unk.

This was mostly just my first attempt at opening a filter with a hacksaw, if I attempt to do this again I'll get myself a proper radial cutter. The Filter came off my dad's 2002 Olds Bravada with the 4.2L Straight-6, judging by the 243rd day of 19' date code he must have had his oil changed about 6 months ago, Walmart has some deal where they'll change the oil and filter and do no other checks for only $20 not sure what oil they use, dad didn't have the invoice in his glovebox, given his driving habits the filter probably had 3000-5000mi on it. I really hacked the filter up, but figured I'd post the pics anyways, I the deformed Cardboard end cap is my fault, I might have caused the wavy pleats perhaps the peeling up motion caused the leaf spring to distort the media, or maybe there's a reason that Fram recommend the ph3675 which is about 30% taller on this engine and only suggest the ph3506 as an alternate if it's not available. I've noticed that Walmart always uses the smallest filter possible and it appears that in the Core line of filters Fram suggests using smaller filters than they normally would to normal DIY changers like my mom's 2008 odyssey the filter catalog says to use the 7317 but WallyWorld only uses the cor6607 and fram list the core 6607 as the cross reference for the 7317 and it appears that there is no 7317 core filter.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It looks as if the steel core is short or the media is a little tall, so when the filter is assembled the compression of all the parts will put pressure on the pleats with yield/waviness as a result. Pleats near the pleat joint are often goofy lookin' because a machine has to fit in there to apply glue and hot-roll the pleats together. There's some deformation there that will upset the spacing. Those pleated, cured and joined media packages are really springy, too. I've been in a few filter plants around the world (media guy here).

Pleats look to be uniformly spaced. Pleat spacing can often be a illusion. If the pleat is really deep, understand the ID of the pleat at the center tube might look like pleats are stacked on top of each other while the OD of the pleat looks nice & spaced.

Also, all media isn't created equal. Just because one filter has 1000 cm2 of media doesn't mean it's "better" than the one with 800 cm2. When some non-expert pulls all the media out of a couple filters and lay it next to each other un-pleated and says the "longer one is better", this completely ignores media performance, durability performance, properties about the matrix, resin, glass, fiber, etc.

Last edited:
Praise to Walmart for buying USA made filters in their shops. They must get them for less than their ST cost.

Silicone ADBV is a nice touch, as is a spiral metal core (as opposed to the smaller Ecores Champ has been making lately). Could have used more media-were there any holes/tears?

Wasn't ripped, just a little distorted. The Wal-Mart CORxxxxACC filters seem to be the same as PHxxxx filters without the grippy stuff on the end, Even the lowly Extra Gaurds have silicone ADBVs now. I've seen other Core filters cut open and some were e-cores, and some had metal end caps, I guess they must be spec'd to order depending on what the shops want. The Extra Gaurd and Wal-Mart Core are perfectly serviceable filters I just kind of wish that they didn't use the smallest filter that will fit for the Cores but Wal-Mart is offering a $20 oil change so I guess they gotta cut costs somewhere they probably save a few cents a unit buying smaller filters, I'm surprised they'll change the oil and Filter in the Bravada for only $20 without charging any extra since it holds 7qts, most places only include 5qts in their standard oil change price.

The ADBV did it's job well once I took the filter off it was still holding the oil in quite well, I stuck a break cleaner straw around it to get it to drain.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
... judging by the 243rd day of 19' date code he must have had his oil changed about 6 months ago ...

... dad didn't have the invoice in his glovebox, given his driving habits the filter probably had 3000-5000mi on it.

Sounds like short trips done over cold winter months. Probable cause of wavy pleats.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by blufeb95
... judging by the 243rd day of 19' date code he must have had his oil changed about 6 months ago ...

... dad didn't have the invoice in his glovebox, given his driving habits the filter probably had 3000-5000mi on it.

Sounds like short trips done over cold winter months. Probable cause of wavy pleats.

Yeah he only drives about 6-7miles each way to work, maybe a mile to the store.

Back