Low use data sim with long expiration

JHZR2

Staff member
I don't know much about prepaid and contract free data, but I think that's what I want (?). Looking for a data plan that's good for just a GB or two, for a wireless hotspot, with long expiration time. Might not use 1GB for a year or more. Don't really want to spend $10/mo or something like that to get it though - at that point other options like phone tethering become smarter.

Does anyone have a good lead on cheap, long lasting data for low use mobile use?

I'm on Straight talk prepaid service for now they use ATT towers, But now i'm hearing they're switching over to T-Mobil/Sprint towers ??

Another good service I had before was Verizon. Never had a dropped call using my iphone 6s !!

I'm on the $55 unlimited plan with 10gb free hot spot included and I use a unlocked international dual sim phone so they cant keep track on my hotspot usage lol

The hot spot REALLY saves my butt if i'm on the road with my laptop in my truck. WIFI at home goes out and I can link up with my smart TV and PS4

This is from their site:

$55 a month or $50 on autopay

30 Days
No Contract
Unlimited Nationwide Talk and Text
Unlimited Data
10GB Hotspot data (not authorized with AT&T compatible SIMs) NOTE: I have a ATT sim and works just fine ??. Text HOTSPOT to 611611 to check compatibility
Video typically streams at DVD quality
At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Straight Talk's terms and conditions

Dave

Last edited:
howardforums will get you the answer. Cutting through the sleazy fine print of the carriers is no easy task, they have saved me so many times.

From what I know, there is no carrier that offers such low data with long expiration date but for a bigger data bucket there may be an option.

The MVNO landscape changes quickly, and there are a lot of nuances involved, so it's best to peruse the BITOGs devoted to them like HowardForums or the NoContract subReddit.

Sites like Prepaidcompare.net can also be helpful.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
howardforums will get you the answer. Cutting through the sleazy fine print of the carriers is no easy task, they have saved me so many times.

From what I know, there is no carrier that offers such low data with long expiration date but for a bigger data bucket there may be an option.

It's too bad Freedompop is DOA

As long as you constantly fought with them every month it was a free 500mb

i have been looking at the no-name carriers using GSM-ATT towers, looked + read on the howard forums + narrowed it to air voice, red pocket + US Mobil the current front runner. i have not seen any that hold data past your periodic refills, that said US Mobil offers you build plans 500 mb of data is $5 monthly the other particulars vary, but way cheeper than any big name providers. i talk little + tex even less but looking for some data as my ATT $8 monthly for 20 min talk allows no acess to data with my older but new to me smart phone. my older flip phone could send poor pics priced per use but with 3G going away i found a nice new 2016 model sony xperia XZ. its a great phone for $150 on E-bay but i thought i could send the great pics it takes but NOT with my current plan. the more you search the more phone carriers will show up, read, learn + select. with these carriers you need to set up the APN in your phone + most show exactly how to do it. i am not computer or phone savy but hopefully i can do that even if i need their help, one thing that was supposed to be better with US Mobil, time will tell! good luck saving a buck, sounds like me you hate throwing money away on not needed overpriced plans !!!

new 2016 model sony xperia XZ. its a great phone for $150
Wow. A 5 year old Android anything is barely worth having, they never get updated so there likely will be usability problems with newer apps and networks.

I mean if you have one and still can make use of it, great, but it's not something to go out and spend 3 figures on.

Also if you have an overseas variant or one for a different US carrier than the one you plan to use, it may not cover most or even any LTE bands that your carrier has.

I liked my iphone 4s on red pocket sprint network 3gb data unlimited talk/text, $19 month. now that T-Mobile is killing the 3g network.. I switched to cricket wireless "att" was using a 1st generation iphone se battery was shot so I picked up a lg k31 unlocked from best buy. Cricket wireless plan is the $40, 35 with autopay 10gb data unlimited talk/text.

I have no problems with cell coverage I just think $35 is steep for 10gb data that's capped at 8mbps.. I don't find myself using up my data next lower plan is $30 no autopay discount only 2gb data.. I'm a bit torn I may look at straight talk plans. Maybe I'll check out red pocket again I just think it's stupid there's an add on pack for a buck for visual voicemail on android.

Anyone know which straight talk network on the byop has visual voicemail?

checked my bandwidths + everything looks good, if needed i will buy a moto G. i only talk as needed but was looking to be able to send pics to another phone or by e-mail, the only reason i need more than my current $8 month go phone plan that dont support pics on a smart phone. 20 min a month + have rollover, no games or other time wasting stuff + phone is rarely on except as needed!! too many phone talkers on the road = more accidents!!!! looking at redpocket but their cheep plans that suit me are gone on e-bay for gsm sims, but their rates are still decent off e-bay, still looking with 2 months left om my prepay acct.

the pay as you go on AirVoice is an option as you only pay for Data as its used, lots of plans but many good for light users like myself as i recently signed on with my cheep compatible Moto e 2020, they set everything up as i did NOT port my old number

recently signed up on airvoice, lots of options but the pay as you go plan worked for me. you dont throw $$$ money away on unused Data as you only pay when used!! good customer service as they took the time to setup my cheep moto E that replaced my beloved Sony that did not work for 4 G, i think!

Back