100 ft garden hose (heavy duty) needed

It is time to buy a new garden hose--we use it for light watering, but we need it to be heavy duty b/c I often neglect to put it back on the wind up cart, so it does see a lot of desert sun.

I looked online and saw Gilmour had a lot of stars, but then on amazon when I filtered for verified purchase, it seemed like everyone was bashing it for falling apart & springing leaks.

We do not need to put out fires with this thing--just push enough water through a nozzle to water plants in the front yard. We just want one that won't crack in a year or so.

Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
If you are willing to spend about 130 or so, Parker makes a great rubber hose that should survive a lot of abuse.
Technor apex makes a good neverkink hose for a lower price point hose.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Teknor-Ape...ink-Free-Vinyl-Gray-Coiled-Hose/50328063

I've got two of those hoses, and they are many years old now and are still good. Leave them out all summer long in the sun too.

I have a couple of the Craftsman black rubber hoses from a few years back. Assuming they haven't changed, they are actually rubber, not vinyl hoses, which I despise.

I guess you have to buy them from Lowes instead of Sears now, but they are easy to check out in person at a store.

For 100' I bought a 75' Gilmour commercial 3/4" that stays stretched along a fence line often. It's tough but heavy. Then use a 25' section of light and flexible 5/8" for the part you move around with the most …
I also put a valve between them to use while getting a sprinkler set just right.

Last edited:
The Craftsman black rubber hoses are great hoses. Great warranty.

When I worked at Sears if the hose broke for any reason (hit by a wild toss of a Lawn Jart??) you cut off the ends and bring them in for a new hose.

Last edited:
NeverKink means "always kinked" in regular use.
You want a heavy black rubber type, they will kink easily but unkink easily and do not have the horrible memory of the neverkinks

Last edited:
For $30 you can get 3/4 inch commercial duty 100footer from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-x-100-ft-commercial-duty-garden-hose-63336.html

[Linked Image from shop.harborfreight.com]

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
For $30 you can get 3/4 inch commercial duty 100footer from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-x-100-ft-commercial-duty-garden-hose-63336.html

[Linked Image from shop.harborfreight.com]

i have two of those HF hoses and they are garbage. They kink and in weather below 60 degrees they are hard as a rock. I bought a few red hoses at Rural King, 100ft for 39.99 and are their farm and ranch I think. Def a heavy duty hose that will last.

Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
I have a couple of the Craftsman black rubber hoses from a few years back. Assuming they haven't changed, they are actually rubber, not vinyl hoses, which I despise.

I guess you have to buy them from Lowes instead of Sears now, but they are easy to check out in person at a store.

I have one of those that I've been using for well over 20 years now, It stays connected to water full time over the spring, summer and fall months and is opened up when the shrubs need watering or the car needs a washing. I wouldn't be surprised if it would last another 20 years.

Good to know.

I bought my 100ft one from an estate sale for $5 about 7 years ago. I saw the HF ones the other day and was on my list in case mine starts going bad.

If you can find the Industrial-Grade Gatorhyde Garden Hose they are great. I bought one 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Home Depot used to carry them but they are discontinued.

I have a RUBBER Hose made by Good-Year / it's made heavy duty.

You also want to look at the brass ends, the Threads need to be machined / cheaper ones have stamped/formed threads.

I recently bought one of those shrinking hoses which I like a lot for small jobs.
The Instructions say: to NOT leave it in the Sun when not being used.

The most economical hose I have found is the ones you get at sams club. I think they are 30 bucks and made in USA. I believe they are 100 or 125 foot.I have one that is 10 years old and still going, starting to crack though.

When I was a 3 or 4 years old I remember a garden hose that was light green with a yellow stripe, When we move it moved. My mother still has that hose, it is hard as a rock, but does not leak, at least it didn't last year. Its probably 40 years old....

Since you don't want to recoil it every time, have you looked into a quality expanding hose that coils itself down to a short length?

Zee, which were you talking about, the Parker or the Technor apex?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If you are willing to spend about 130 or so, Parker makes a great rubber hose that should survive a lot of abuse.

I've got two of those hoses, and they are many years old now and are still good. Leave them out all summer long in the sun too.

I looked for the Craftsman hose, it's not available for store pickup or shipping from local sears or kmart. I'll keep on looking for some of the other brands mentioned here.

I see some Goodyears at a local Tractor Supply. I'm trying to buy them now but their site is having problems loading in my browsers, so I'll try back again later.

Goodyear/Swan makes the Maxlite hose which is also decent as well

Back