2001 Tundra Pad Slap

Just did a pad slap on our trusty '01 Tundra. This truck is awesome; 199K and zero issues.
I never understood how the driver side pads could wear evenly, about half way, and the passenger pads were almost gone. Again, nice and even.
The old pads were the NAPA better pads, hybrid or something. Had about 40K. I surfaced the rotors at the time.

The new pads were the Raybestos E whatever pads. Like $25 at RA. I just lightly filed and greased the contact points and slid them in.
Easy peasy... The pedal is really good now.
The early Tundras like mine had a too small caliper and pad. If I really loaded down the truck or towed much I would upgrade to the later caliper.

But for now this thing needs nothing. All good.

my Tacoma is close to due for front pads I think im getting ADVICS which are the same as OEM Toyota pads from RockAuto

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Just did a pad slap on our trusty '01 Tundra. This truck is awesome; 199K and zero issues.
I never understood how the driver side pads could wear evenly, about half way, and the passenger pads were almost gone. Again, nice and even.
The old pads were the NAPA better pads, hybrid or something. Had about 40K. I surfaced the rotors at the time.

The new pads were the Raybestos E whatever pads. Like $25 at RA. I just lightly filed and greased the contact points and slid them in.
The early Tundras like mine had a too small caliper and pad. If I really loaded down the truck or towed much I would upgrade to the later caliper.

I know there will be disagreement but I am not a fan of filing the pad ears for a better fit. Quality pads should be machined so that is not needed. You are filing off a quality paint or coating and there is the chance it will rust. I know you will grease it. Still, I buy Akebono and never need to file the ears. I just pulled all the pads on wife's Crosstrek and wiped the the ears clean before applying a tiny amount of grease. The ears were shinny clean paint after wiping with a rag.

Originally Posted by Donald

I know there will be disagreement but I am not a fan of filing the pad ears for a better fit. Quality pads should be machined so that is not needed. You are filing off a quality paint or coating and there is the chance it will rust. I know you will grease it. Still, I buy Akebono and never need to file the ears. I just pulled all the pads on wife's Crosstrek and wiped the the ears clean before applying a tiny amount of grease. The ears were shinny clean paint after wiping with a rag.

Agreed. I just cleaned up the crud and surface rust on the caliper contact points.
And there ain't much rust in sunny Silicon Valley.
The only thing the pad ears got was a little brake grease. and I wire wheeled the slide pins...
Nice and easy.

Originally Posted by Donald

I agree. I've never had to file my Toyota OEM pads.
grin.gif

Only time I had a wear problem was before I knew where to grease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cos
JeffKeryk,

Did you lube the slide pins?

Just to make sure, I slathered tons of grease everywhere. Worked pretty good too!

Wire wheel and light grease on the slide pins. I use a q-tip to put a little in the caliper holes (round file to clean) and apply a little grease as they slide in, only in the caliper contact area.
These brakes are pretty dang easy.
Now if I could just lift the FJ Cruiser alloys and (larger) tires... Sheesh.

IMG_20200422_181405.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo

I agree. I've never had to file my Toyota OEM pads.
grin.gif

Only time I had a wear problem was before I knew where to grease.

I've never filed any pad.

So then... your truck DOES have one issue.

Good points about the side to side uneven pad wear.
The truck does stop a little straighter now; it wasn't 100% before. Not bad, just not perfect.
So this is an improvement in a couple of ways.
All good and thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted by cos
JeffKeryk,

Did you lube the slide pins?

The 4-piston calipers on Toyota trucks do not need lube on the slide pins. They are exposed.

Back