2017 Audi A6 2.0T Premium plus AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, its been a minute! so Im letting go of the Milan after 8 years of use and about 85,000 on the clock. Im replacing it with an Audi A6 2.0T currently has 24,000 on the clock. Of course the first thing im going to start looking at is my upkeep.. So V.W. 502.00 (if memory serves) is the recommended oil and after reading a few online reviews and threads Im reading that I Don't what to use the equivalent oil from my local WalMart shelf. Even though the bottle says its safe for German autos.. Im completely cluesless on American v.s. German oils. so help me out. those that are in the know share some knowledge. What im reading says no don't do it, premature wear ect.. is this B.S ? I don't mind dropping the coin for German oil, however id rather just buy locally, However This is not a cheap auto and I want to make it last for a bit.

Otis.

Originally Posted by OtisBlkR1
So V.W. 502.00 (if memory serves) is the recommended oil and after reading a few online reviews and threads Im reading that I Don't what to use the equivalent oil from my local WalMart shelf.

Your local Walmart shelf is likely stocked with Castrol 0W-40 or Mobil1 0W-40, reasonably priced in 5-qt jugs. Either one of these oils will work well and carries the required spec.

And if not in stock, you can order it on walmart.com and have it shipped to you or to your local store for pick-up.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 will work well in that engine, it meets the some of the highest specs and can be used in place of the older spec 502.
You can find this at NAPA for under $6 a qt when they have Mobil 1 on sale, about 3 times a year. No it is not BS the euro spec oils are better in general for wear protection.
27.gif

https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-5W30

For Euro oils, Castrol 0w40 gets the most love, followed by Mobil 1 0w40. Pennzoil is also favored by some but many seem to like 0w40, works everywhere.

Mobil 1 has their $10 rebate for a 5 quart jug going on now so it's the best bang for the buck now.

Double check if it still takes 502 in the manual. I know that some Audi's are asking for 504 or even 508 now.

If it is 502, Castrol 0W-40 is the easiest to get of them all. I can't source Pennzoil 5w-40/0w-40 euro as easily in 5qt size.

Originally Posted by Trav
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 will work well in that engine, it meets the some of the highest specs and can be used in place of the older spec 502.
You can find this at NAPA for under $6 a qt when they have Mobil 1 on sale, about 3 times a year. No it is not BS the euro spec oils are better in general for wear protection.
27.gif

https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-5W30

So is this opinion, or an accepted fact ? & thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So V.W. 502.00 (if memory serves) is the recommended oil and after reading a few online reviews and threads Im reading that I Don't what to use the equivalent oil from my local WalMart shelf.

Your local Walmart shelf is likely stocked with Castrol 0W-40 or Mobil1 0W-40, reasonably priced in 5-qt jugs. Either one of these oils will work well and carries the required spec.

And if not in stock, you can order it on walmart.com and have it shipped to you or to your local store for pick-up.

Good day sir, it's been awhile. Thanks for your input!

So V.W. 502.00 (if memory serves) is the recommended oil

I looked in the 2017 A6 owner's manual and did not see any VW spec listed. Supposedly there is a label under the hood that lists the VW oil spec. What does yours say?

I dont have the manual yet/or car.. I dont pick it up for a few days yet, only sharing what I've found online. The info I have may be an overview or just broad generic V.W./Audi info.

That model has become fairly reliable for a luxury car. Still expensive to fix when it breaks, like every other German car.

Fact!
https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html
Fact!
Listed on the same Lubrizol web page, immediately below the linked information above:
Originally Posted by Lubrizol
NOTE: These performance charts are primarily designed to demonstrate relative performances within the same industry specification, for example, ACEA E6 versus ACEA E7, or API CH-4 versus API CJ-4. This tool has not been expressly designed to show relative performance between specifications.

I dont have the manual yet/or car.. I dont pick it up for a few days yet, only sharing what I've found online. The info I have may be an overview or just broad generic V.W./Audi info.

You should really skip the 2.0 and get the 3.0SC V6 version. It's a night and day difference in performance and lower nvh (engine not stressed when driving spiritedly).
In stock form it puts out 333hp and 325tq vs 252hp and 273tq for the 2.0.
Far better way to enjoy the car (for a small increase in price).
thumbsup2.gif

If you don't want to believe it that's your prerogative.

Yeah, I'll stick with taking Lubrizol at their words, thanks....

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Looks like it calls for VW 502.00 or VW 504.00, according to this:
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...ed_Maintenance_Flipbook_Pages_022317.pdf

The M1 ESP 5W-30 that Trav recommended should be just fine, IMO.

Expectation vs. reality: On the paper (such as Lubrizol charts), VW 504.00 (ACEA C3, M1 ESP 5W-30) may be a better oil than VW 502.00 (ACEA A3/B4, M1 FS 0W-40), but in reality M1 FS 0W-40 uses a more expensive base oil (more PAO and less Group III, same amount of POE) and a much, much stronger additive pack than M1 ESP 5W-30, and it would kick the cheaply made but expensively sold (the latter only due to lack of availability) M1 ESP 5W-30's rear in virtually every engine test.

The two specs are apples vs. oranges. VW 502.00 allows extended OCIs because of the higher ash content. VW 504.00 compromises on the OCI but is focused on protecting the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and other emissions components. Since Audi recommends either oil, they think your engine doesn't really care about the oil. Have they even changed their bearing design now? That's because the newest Audi engines recommend 0W-20 -- yet an entirely different oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back