Amsoil 100% Synthetic

Amsoil says it 100% synthetic. Amsoil gets their base stocks from Mobil, correct? So is that base stock 100% synthetic? Or is this a case of its synthetic here, but wouldn't be in Germany?

Not a thread meant to bash, just fact finding.

From my understanding, Amsoil buys ingredients from manufacturers of ingredients. Exxon/Mobil being 1 of them. They also buy additives from companies. What Amsoil specifies as ingredients and percentages vary with their specific formulation.

Amsoil has a recipe that they put together that consist of high quality components. Sometime the suppliers they use change.

I have been to some presentations from Driven motor oil. From my memory, I believe there are only like 4-5 companies that make base oil and about 4-5 that make additives.

Mobil
Chevron
Pennzoil
Lubrizol
Infineum
others?

Kinda like spaghetti sauce. Ingredient olive oil, there are different grades of olive oil that can be used.

Last edited:
Amsoil Signature Series would probably be able to carry the Full Synthetic designation in Germany, XL and OE would probably be able to say "HC Synthese" designation.

Originally Posted by Srt20
Originally Posted by Astro14
Geez...didn't we talk about this last week?

And wasn't it answered here?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5396382/3

Sorry I don't have the chance to read every thread on here. Geez.....

spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by Srt20
Originally Posted by Astro14
Geez...didn't we talk about this last week?

And wasn't it answered here?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5396382/3

Sorry I don't have the chance to read every thread on here. Geez.....

Rodney Dangerfield, rough crowd. Try and not take it personal. Just grin and bear it.

Here is my approach. As an example that may help:

"No, I have not done search as it is too complicated and I don't want to. Please don't tell me to search.
Just give me the link or ignore my post. Thank you and be Blessed."
thumbsup2.gif

LOL

I remember a long time ago there was an online Amsoil seller and he had this HUGE banner on his home page that said "100% PAO" and it would constantly spin around while you were on his page haha!
laugh.gif

100 PAO can happen if all the PAO used in the formula model is 100%. Long time ago people got on that same kick at Sherwin Williams and 100% acrylic paint. The acrylic used is 100% pure but is only part of the formula along with fillers,binders,cobalt,soap,etc. I wouldnt want a 100% PAO OR ester for that matter. I will say that the ones using majority of the two are producing a better product but they need a market and price is part of that. Sometimes the lower grade product fits the job better.Why worry about D1G2 spec in a 15 yr old car? I do wish Amsoil had stayed to their SS line just like Redline did an OE. These are overkill oils that shouldnt dumb down product.

If by 100% syn oil you mean all PAO or Ester than I would say no. Most oils are a blend of various base oils to fit their performance criteria. All proprietary info on % of various oils used.

And lighten up fellas!

Originally Posted by ZZman
If by 100% syn oil you mean all PAO or Ester than I would say no. Most oils are a blend of various base oils to fit their performance criteria. All proprietary info on % of various oils used.

And lighten up fellas!

This subject has been beaten to death on here. Multiple threads with multiple slight differences in the question. Other than "0W-20 is CAFE driven and I hate that, will 5W-30 damage my engine?" I don't think there is a more discussed topic.

And like the OP, the questions generally conclude with the same disclaimer....

ZZman said:

And lighten up fellas!

And as for his comment on Mobil … they will sell you whatever synthetic base stock you can afford and that includes PAO/mPAO and ester … XOM is one of the few who makes a widespread selection

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by ZZman

And lighten up fellas!

This subject has been beaten to death on here. Multiple threads with multiple slight differences in the question. Other than "0W-20 is CAFE driven and I hate that, will 5W-30 damage my engine?" I don't think there is a more discussed topic.

And like the OP, the questions generally conclude with the same disclaimer....

I think you nailed it.
thumbsup2.gif

Back