Been 6 yrs or so.

Since I was last here. When I was last here, PYB was the best bang for the buck, is this still the case?
The reason I ask is, I am having problems locating PYB10w30 in any store, even my local Walmart.
They all carry the high mileage version, but I would like to continue using standard PYB10w30.
That is, unless the high mileage version is better...

Is Pennzoil discontinuing the standard 10w30?

Thanks so much.

Welcome back

IIRC, Pennzoil dino 10W30 YB was discontinued at Walmart ??

When I was in Oklahoma back in 2018, One store had it for $5.00 a 5qt jug !!!

If your just looking for cheap dino 10W30. Then I would STRONGLY recommend Chevron 10W-30 $12.42 a 5qt jug.
thumbsup2.gif

Some stores carry it and some regions you have to order home or do free in store pickup. I used it years ago in my 01 Suburban 5.3 for 4000K OCI's and no issues !!!

Dave

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Welcome back.

You will find that SuperTech and Rotella Gas Truck have received a good deal of praise here recently. Yes, the Walmart house brand. Turns out it's a stout oil with many certifications and is hard to beat at the price. RGT offers a thick 5w-30 and is cheap and plentiful.

I don't discount that PYB is a fine oil but there is a good amount of full synthetic oil at a similar price point.

I think 10w30 in general may start disappearing from shelves, Most manufacturers only certify 5w30 now. They still make PYB 10w30 but you may not find it locally as synthetic blends and full synthetic oils probably take most of the shelf now to meet more stringent manufacturer specifications. I'm not sure any conventional is really that great of a bang for your buch anymore since you can get SuperTech Full Syn for like $15 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Syn is only around $20 most of the time even Pennzoil Platinum is only like $23 at WallyWorld most of the time. Right now PYB from Wal-Mart is like $17, but for $19 you can get a jug of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10w30, for those prices PPHM is a no brainer.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I think 10w30 in general may start disappearing from shelves, Most manufacturers only certify 5w30 now. They still make PYB 10w30 but you may not find it locally as synthetic blends and full synthetic oils probably take most of the shelf now to meet more stringent manufacturer specifications. I'm not sure any conventional is really that great of a bang for your buch anymore since you can get SuperTech Full Syn for like $15 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Syn is only around $20 most of the time even Pennzoil Platinum is only like $23 at WallyWorld most of the time. Right now PYB from Wal-Mart is like $17, but for $19 you can get a jug of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10w30, for those prices PPHM is a no brainer.

I agree on 10W30 going bye bye soon. I honestly think 10W-40 will be gone before 10W-30 ??.

Heck even Autozone/AAP got rid of most their 10W40. Have TONS of Castrol GTX white bottle 10W40 in storage i scored for $1-2 a qt at Autozone
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84

I agree on 10W30 going bye bye soon. I honestly think 10W-40 will be gone before 10W-30 ??.

Heck even Autozone/AAP got rid of most their 10W40. Have TONS of Castrol GTX white bottle 10W40 in storage i scored for $1-2 a qt at Autozone
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

People will still need xW-30 for OPE, until electric takes over which will be a long time from now.

I remember back when PYB and PP were king here. That was the first time I'd ever heard of PP. I was a hardcore M1 15W50 user back then.

It'd cool to know exactly what the differences are between oils sold 6 years ago and those sold today.

How much shelf space is taken by the 5W-20, 0W-20, 0W-16 oils today?

Welcome back, Kotter...

I never really jumped on the PYB bandwagon, more of a ST guy and closeout deal oils - like the Delo SAE30 $.99/gallon closeout of '05/'06 and the QS Q Horsepower and Q Torquepower syns from '11/'12. My recent good score was the closeout of Pennzoil Platinum GTL 10W30 which was about $3.50 / 5qt jug. I scored over 20 of them and some Mobil conventional 10W30 thrown in. Oh - My Tractor Supply closed out their GTX 30HD, 5/10W30 quarts and I bought all for $1/ea.

If you're looking for a good conventional, the ST oils are good deal, although ST syn isn't much more. Chevron Supreme, as mentioned, is a nice oil too.

thumbsup2.gif

Dave

I guess I had better stock up because the 396 big block in my 70 Monte Carlo doesn't like a 30 weight oil. I run 10W-40 in it.

Originally Posted by wtd

thumbsup2.gif

Dave

I guess I had better stock up because the 396 big block in my 70 Monte Carlo doesn't like a 30 weight oil. I run 10W-40 in it.

I honestly wood especially if your local Autozone/Advance auto parts still has them for $2.00 a qt lol Walmart stores don't have much of a 10W40 selection currently

Dave

Originally Posted by wtd

thumbsup2.gif

Dave

In missouri you could probably get away with a 15w40 or even SAE 40

Found a stash of it at Walmart about an hour north. Picked up a few so am good for a while. Anyway, is PYB still tops for additive package in a PCMO? Or have they dropped the levels of adds and gone the way of the others? Can't find a current VOA. Did one years ago, as well as a UOA with the 5w20 when the car was newer. Still have the same car but went with the 10w30 when I saw that it ran more than a grade cooler.

Back