new 2019 Jetta 8-speed auto~what fluid?

The manual says nothing about what type of trans fluid to use. This car is a keeper so I'd like to know so I can do drain and fills (if possible) while I own it. Anybody know?

Are the up-level Jetta so much better than the base?

Mine ain't no keeper.

Its a 2019 I would caution to leave it alone.

It is not a CVT shedding 100 grams of material into the fluid.

Let it be to 30K miles at least.

Its hard to beat the factory fluids ( whatever thay are) and you have a poor chance of getting that "magic stuff" stateside.

Listen to Paul McCartney
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Maxlife
27.gif

If it's an Aisin A/T....Maxlife isn't a bad suggestion....but I would make sure before using it.

Congrats on that new ride! What trim level Jetta? Engine?

I'm assuming this 8spd has an easy means for DIY drain/fills? Those are the ones that make me itchy to do early and often drain/fills. If it's a PITA, it stays in there for 2-3yrs.

My Worldpac catalog says VW #G053001A2, msrp is $25.41. This catalog is usually correct but information can be incorrect for the newest cars, so please double check.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
The manual says nothing about what type of trans fluid to use. This car is a keeper so I'd like to know so I can do drain and fills (if possible) while I own it. Anybody know?

Toyota-World Standard

and you should use a scan tool to monitor fluid temperatures to ensure the level is correct.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Seems like a lot of issues with that transmission; are you trying to rectify an issue or just keep on top of maintenance?

Car is brand new with 100 miles on it now. I am just wondering for the future. I am a maintenance freak (BITOG syndrome) and was just curious for the future. Car has 6yr 72K mile OEM warranty so...

I see the transmission is an Aisin AWF8F35 unit. It is used by a lot of other cars too. So WS fluid is recommended for these then?

Last edited:
What is the recommended change interval?

If the trans is known to be problematic, I would not touch it myself. Have dealer do the fluid change, this way they can't blame any potential trans issues on you.

If it's like previous VW Aisin transmission's its a bottom fill, kind of a PITA. Need the correct fitting. You pull the drain plug and then pull the inner tube, drain, re-install inner reach tube, bottom fill by overfilling. Re-install drain plug, run to temperature and run through all gears a few times, remove drain plug until fluid has a fast drip. Re-install drain plug. Used to be Toyota WS-4 or equivalent.

Last edited:
Does the gear selector say DSG anywhere on or around it? Volkswagens can come with an automatic transmission or DSG which is like an automatic. That is if it is not a manual transmission. The fluid for yours might be different but when I asked the dealer which fluid to use I took my VIN number along and for my 2013 Passat it was G 055 540 A2. That is for the second generation 09G. For a 2019 I don't know if there is a different fluid, especially for an 8 speed. It would not surprise me if it had to be filled from the bottom but sometimes there are other places where fluid can be added. On my 2013 Passat 09G there is a T55 Torx plug that can be used and it is much cleaner than using the drain hole. To get the fluid level right you will need to remove the drain plug while it is running and in a certain temperature range. Most VW sealed transmissions are very similar that way

Of course this sounds like more of a PITA than it's worth. Aisin claims it's a lifetime fill unless it were a taxi or cop car...lol

Originally Posted by Chuckh
Does the gear selector say DSG anywhere on or around it? Volkswagens can come with an automatic transmission or DSG which is like an automatic. That is if it is not a manual transmission. The fluid for yours might be different but when I asked the dealer which fluid to use I took my VIN number along and for my 2013 Passat it was G 055 540 A2. That is for the second generation 09G. For a 2019 I don't know if there is a different fluid, especially for an 8 speed. It would not surprise me if it had to be filled from the bottom but sometimes there are other places where fluid can be added. On my 2013 Passat 09G there is a T55 Torx plug that can be used and it is much cleaner than using the drain hole. To get the fluid level right you will need to remove the drain plug while it is running and in a certain temperature range. Most VW sealed transmissions are very similar that way

if it's an 8-speed, it's an Aisin transmission, and that uses Toyota-WS.

if he has a GLI, then it would have a DSG.

The dsg transmissions usually have a filter on top that needs changing during service. You can fill there so.

If the fluid for that is G053001A2, I found a picture of it on ECS tuning somewhere and it is not only labeled with that part number it is also labled AW-2. So far I have not found much if any info on AW-2. Is it the same as or similar to WS? I looked on Blauparts searching for AW-2 and nothing came up. I am just trying to figure out what this fluid is. Could this be that AFW+ fluid with a different name? I don't plan to use this stuff but I just can't help but wonder what it is. Here is a picture of what I found:
1291899_x800.webp

I don't know why it did not display but it will show up if you click it. It is safe.

Back