Gronk and a 7th to Buccaneers for a 4th round pick

Patriot fan here, gronk definitely lost some quickness in 2018 but maybe he was dinged up....hopefully he has one more good year left but do not expect more than 12 games out of him..... We are going nowhere so I hope Brady and gronk can make a run

Another Pats fan. Thats great news. Add a fresh healthy Gronk to a star studded lineup for a Superbowl title at home. The best part.. silence the doubters that TB12 is the GOAT one more time.

As a bucs fan I have to be cautiously optimistic, it's been a long drought, media has done a good job hyping this team up before every season and more often than not the season has been over before Halloween.
Superbowl odds and expectations went up all of a sudden but Brady is old and has to prove he can play at a high level for a coach other than Belicheat and Gronk has been injury prone.
The one thing the Brady always had that the bucs can't seem to find that a lot of people underestimate is a solid kicker. We shall see if there will even be football.

Originally Posted by laserred96gt
As a bucs fan I have to be cautiously optimistic, it's been a long drought, media has done a good job hyping this team up before every season and more often than not the season has been over before Halloween.
Superbowl odds and expectations went up all of a sudden but Brady is old and has to prove he can play at a high level for a coach other than Belicheat and Gronk has been injury prone.
The one thing the Brady always had that the bucs can't seem to find that a lot of people underestimate is a solid kicker. We shall see if there will even be football.

Your last sentence being the most poignant one, for sure.

I wouldn't call Gronk injury-prone. It's the style of football he plays and the way he was used. He loves contact. DBs can't take him on so they try to chop him at the knees. He broke his forearm blocking for a kick! Gronk has been healing his body for a year. So he should be pretty durable and even if he's not TB has depth. And Brady can win with or without him. I've watched Brady overcome one obstacle or another for 20 years. He's only had talent like this once before. That was 2007. I watched Evans highlights the other day. He's big. 6-5. But he runs that short slot route just like Edelman. And then theres Godwin. TBay has a good RB. The offense was ranked third in the NFL last year before this upgrade . A young defense that will feed on the offense. There's really no guessing. It's going to be a deep playoff run at worst. I do think they will win it all. At home.

Maybe a small sample size, but tight ends that play the style that Gronk does, similar to Mark Bavaro with the NY Giants in the 1980's are bound to suffer some serious injuries along the way.

Anyone who thinks the Bucs are going to have instant success, even with Gronk, are delusional...

Just as important to Pat's is the fact Gronk signing leads to a reduction of 9million to the Pat's cap!! Win Win WIn for all involved.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Just as important to Pat's is the fact Gronk signing leads to a reduction of 9million to the Pat's cap!! Win Win WIn for all involved.

They would only have had to reckon with that cap number if he came *back* to the active roster, no? A team can't be held responsible for a cap number for a player who's retired is is therefore no longer on the roster.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Originally Posted by BISCUT

They would only have had to reckon with that cap number if he came *back* to the active roster, no? A team can't be held responsible for a cap number for a player who's retired is is therefore no longer on the roster.

There probably was some dead money on this year's cap left from a signing bonus that is spread over the length of his contract. It is nowhere near $9M and it doesn't go away if the player is traded, I believe.

Back