Cheap rear axle wheel bearings...

I was doing some garage organization today and found a receipt of rear axle seals replacement of my 95 chevy that's in my sig. I usually do this kind of jobs myself but it was in the middle of winter so I just drove to a local shop, supporting local business I guess...

Anyway the shop that did the repair accidentally damages the wheel bearings while taking the old axle seal out. They told me about it and replaced that damaged bearing for free so I didn't ask too much.

Here is the part # for that wheel bearing: AUTO EXTRA - 127DK59047

After doing some research on that brand it seems like they only make dirt cheap replacement auto parts, but not many reviews on the internet can tell me the true quality is.

Now my question is, should I be worry about it and replace it with something else? Or can I just leave it there? I using this truck mostly as a winter beater and do some occasionally towing.

Run it until they fail and buy some Timken or whatever is decent nowadays, SKF....Chinese make 'em all nowadays it seems.

AUTO EXTRA sounds like a marketer/retailer and not necessarily a manufacturer? They may still source their parts from whichever company produces bearings for better known brands.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
AUTO EXTRA sounds like a marketer/retailer and not necessarily a manufacturer? They may still source their parts from whichever company produces bearings for better known brands.

It could be. But I can't even find their website on the internet. The only place that's selling them is partsavatar.ca, and the list price is half of other name brands.

KOYO/Torrington only! A lot of companies rebox genuine Koyo bearings. Yukon, Timken, & Dana/Spicer to name a few. I started using Yukon exclusively because they always send Koyo bearings & I like their house brands seals as well.

I ordered a couple National wheel bearing a while back....One was a USA made Koyo & one was a National branded Chinese bearing. Same part number, Just a different COO.

Yukon part# AK C10 should be the correct bearing/seal kit for your truck (2.80" OD), You will need 2.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i wouldn't worry much about them , they might just last a long time...probably reboxed or relabeled as so many auto parts are these days

I would worry about spring planting of your potato crop not something that hasn't or will not fail in the future.

My local Consumer Auto Parts (CAP) carries Auto Extra. It's the economy brand.

That said, if you swap the bearing out, you're going to need a new seal again. If it was my truck, given the use you listed, I would run it as is.

Those who work on their own cars might buy decent parts.

But for the rest of the 99% of people in the country, they go to repair shops that put on cheap parts like this.

And they put on many thousands of happy miles without problems.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Run it until they fail and buy some Timken or whatever is decent nowadays, SKF....Chinese make 'em all nowadays it seems.

SKF are made in Georgia.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by sloinker

SKF are made in Georgia.

Don't doubt it. They are also made in Sweden, Japan, China, Vietnam, Mexico, Romania under the SKF brand and other brand names.

Auto Extra is Auto Plus/Uniselect's house line of parts. Its economy grade and while I rarely use economy bearings (only when the customer is in a financial bind) I cant say that I have ever had an issue with them.

When Semi-Float/C-Clip bearings fail....It takes out the axle as well. I get a GM/Ford Truck or a Ford Panther in about once a month with cheap wheel bearings or a repair bearing that failed.

Same old story everytime!.....I just had this fixed 10K-40K ago, Why do I need axles AGAIN? Or.....That's a lot more than the other shop charged for bearings? (As they threw a repair bearing in)

I've seen repair bearings with no trouble...know for a fact that at least one Chevy Astro ran at least 200K on a repair bearing.

Back