Anyone know about sink garbage disposers ?

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by walterjay
Sounds like a power problem to me.

If the dishwasher works and the disposal doesn't, is it still an electrical problem?
coffee2.gif
35.gif
36.gif

Yes

If the dishwasher works and the disposal doesn't, is it still an electrical problem?
coffee2.gif
35.gif
36.gif

Yes

Even if the disposal is humming as if the blades are stuck/jammed?
In all of my years of working on disposals I used the wrench to free up the blades when the disposal was "HUMMING" like OP stated. YMMV

Open up the newly installed junction box and check the connections. More than likely the connection going to the disposal is not well connected. Simple fix.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that while the washer was being installed a screw, or washer or nut fell into the sink and got in the disposal. Had a Lowe's installation team do a dishwasher for me and it never was right. Wound up reinstalling it myself. If I'd known I'd never have them come out, but they had to do it for warranty.

coffee2.gif
35.gif
36.gif

Yes

Even if the disposal is humming as if the blades are stuck/jammed?
In all of my years of working on disposals I used the wrench to free up the blades when the disposal was "HUMMING" like OP stated. YMMV

where did he say it was humming. He said it did "one click"...

Put the allen wrench to it, turn table spins freely. It doesn't​ hum. No sounds at all. Seems dead. It will be a contortionist act to get to the wires to check them. Not tonight.

Here's a pic of what I've got. 2nd photo shows junction box supplied by Bosch for dishwasher.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You need to pull the panel off the bottom of the disposal and check for power with a voltmeter or test light.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I'd consider a surface mount box and a GFI where that Romex comes out and a standard cord/plug out of the disposal while someone is under there. Might as well make it right for later.

I think I've run into this before. When it's a dedicated plug for a specific appliance, you don't want a GFCI on it for nuisance trips. Unlikely anyone would use the plug under the sink to plug in a toaster to drop into the sink.

Somewhere there is a junction box. Maybe it's the disposer switch box. Wrong to have the romex come out of the wall that way as a supply cord.
So wife heard a click, and the dishwasher still runs? Positive it is one breaker?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Somewhere there is a junction box. Maybe it's the disposer switch box. Wrong to have the romex come out of the wall that way as a supply cord.
So wife heard a click, and the dishwasher still runs? Positive it is one breaker?

Yep, breaker #16 in the panel, 20 amps, is marked "Dishwasher, Disposal"

Originally Posted by wog
Check reset button in center of unit. Find it underneath,if it hums it is jammed shutoff and use allen wrench back and forth in center underneath.

It was clearly stated that had already been done.

I would start with checking power goes on and off at the disposer with the switch, using a tester or multimeter.

Did you call the company that did the dishwasher install to see what they can do for you?

I called the big box store. It was their appliance installation contractor that put it in, there was no charge due to a promo offer. The manager of the big box store was defensive about the matter and said he could send a guy out but if it wasn't an install side effect then he would have to charge me for the visit.

It should be noted that in the past 15 months I have spent approximately $7500.00 at this store, including the dishwasher last week. That didn't seem to matter to the manager, who was just short of rude about it and hung up before I completed the phrase "good bye" at conclusion of the call. The money I spent there was for replacing kitchen appliances in two owned properties (my former house and a condo I had) which I sold last year, plus a new washer and dryer set for the house my wife and I bought also last year.

Generally a good customer gets the benefit of the doubt, but doesn't seem to be the case here. However, given the current situation with everything I'm sure their business is down and perhaps the manager was having a bad day. It's a small regional big box, not lowes, hd, or menard's.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Did you call the company that did the dishwasher install to see what they can do for you?

I called the big box store. It was their appliance installation contractor that put it in, there was no charge due to a promo offer. The manager of the big box store was defensive about the matter and said he could send a guy out but if it wasn't an install side effect then he would have to charge me for the visit.

It should be noted that in the past 15 months I have spent approximately $7500.00 at this store, including the dishwasher last week. That didn't seem to matter to the manager, who was just short of rude about it and hung up before I completed the phrase "good bye" at conclusion of the call. The money I spent there was for replacing kitchen appliances in two owned properties (my former house and a condo I had) which I sold last year, plus a new washer and dryer set for the house my wife and I bought also last year.

Generally a good customer gets the benefit of the doubt, but doesn't seem to be the case here. However, given the current situation with everything I'm sure their business is down and perhaps the manager was having a bad day. It's a small regional big box, not lowes, hd, or menard's.

With the _______, your call was right pretty close to the revised closing hours.

Check the web for the opening hours Tomorrow and call again. You will get a new manager on the phone and maybe a better attitude. If not call and ask specifically for the appliances department manager.

If still getting attitude, mention you are essential personnel.

Last edited:
Lots of people are under a lot of stress now, if this was during the average day last year I would be upset with that kind of response but now I just figure the guy is stressed out.
Like pandus13 said call back in the morning and ask again with another manager. Believe me it isn't personal at all with that response....give people a little more leeway but don't accept that service either.

Mine are on separate circuits. I thought that they had to be by code. One circuit for each dishwasher, one circuit for disposer. Total of three circuits.

It's not a code requirement UNLESS the installation instructions for either the disposal or the dishwasher say that it is to be on a dedicated circuit. In that case, the code requires you to follow the installation instructions.

Good design practice is to put them on separate circuits. The code is a minimum standard.

Back