5w30

I have ran manufacturers recommended oil all my life up and until this week. I got use to sounding like a truck at 1500 rpms as well as noises on first start as all searches points to normal. Lots of the ones that brought to the dealer had tons of work done before being told normal so I expected nothing to change. I ran 5w20 for 15k either synthetic or a blend with no difference. I went with 5w30 this time due to a sale knowing not recommended but ok so I expected if anything fuel mileage would take a hit although previous years fuel mileage EPA rating was same for both grades so don't know what changed as all parts interchangeable. Anyhow all was the same for 20 miles then I can't explain as it got smoother and quieter. Fast forward to today and the shift points are similar to ECO button pressed but I can only tell if it shifts by looking at tach so that doesn't make sense. Noise is almost completely gone both at first start as well as 1500 rpm with 50 miles driven. Could this be engine is built with 30 grade in mind but FCA went with 5w20 for Cafe although EPA Fuel Mileage is the same?
2018 Grand Caravan

From a quick glance of the Wiki it looks like all 2011+ Grand Caravans use the 3.6L Pentastar V6, and I looked up the 2012 Manual and it says to use 5w30, so I'm guessing that the engine was probably designed for 30 weight and back spec'd to 20 to win over some point with Big Brother. If everything seems to be running better with 30 stick with it.

The EPA numbers on the window sticker are self reported to the agency. The EPA doesn't conduct the test, the vehicle manufacture does under a set of rules established by the EPA.
One thing little known is that every 1/10 of 1 MPG counts, but isn't shown on the sticker. EPA penalty wise, the penalty is $5.50 for each 1/10 of 1 MPG. THIS IS WHERE LIGHTER OILS MATTER. You want you fuel efficient cars to offset the gas guzzling non exempt vehicles by the CAFE rule. Correct me if I'm wrong.

just curious , what brand of oil are you using now and then?
Your new oil could have more moly or ester.

Any engine "specified" for xW-20 is going to run fine (if not better) on xW-30. If only 5W-30 was available in the world, it would run fine in 99% of the cars on the road.

When someone or some article says an engine was "designed for a specific viscosity of oil", it's full of bull.

That's a pretty wide net you're casting. Also known as a blanket statement.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer

It came with Pennzoil then I have ran Valvoline, Napa, Havoline all in 5w20. This oil change was Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 so I don't think name on bottle had anything to do with it.

2014 RAM 1500(traded in), 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(sold), current 2019 Dodge Charger SXT, current 2018 RAM 1500 all had/have 3.6 in them. "All" of them, without a doubt, are quieter, smoother with 5W30 in them. Mainly Pennzoil Platinum, also PYB, Mobil 1, and NAPA Synthetic.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The EPA numbers on the window sticker are self reported to the agency. The EPA doesn't conduct the test, the vehicle manufacture does under a set of rules established by the EPA.
One thing little known is that every 1/10 of 1 MPG counts, but isn't shown on the sticker. EPA penalty wise, the penalty is $5.50 for each 1/10 of 1 MPG. THIS IS WHERE LIGHTER OILS MATTER. You want you fuel efficient cars to offset the gas guzzling non exempt vehicles by the CAFE rule. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A really good post here in my opinion ↑↑↑↑

Originally Posted by tiger862

It came with Pennzoil then I have ran Valvoline, Napa, Havoline all in 5w20. This oil change was Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 so I don't think name on bottle had anything to do with it.

You'd be surprised. However PP is one of the smoother oils ...
I've never bought any xW20 oil. Min for me is 5W30. Your car should be fine. you can also try 10W30 especially in summer.

Try as I might, I cannot correct correct. Word....
banana2.gif

Not to hijack ... but is the penalty for overestimating the actual mpg? For example sticker says 30mpg but the cars averages are 27mpg. Does that mean the penalty is $165 (3x10x$5.50) per each car on the market?

Or is the penalty for if the car manufacturers fleet go over an established overall mpg including all their cars?
I'm guessing this the penalty you are talking about. No?

Currently have Castrol 0w40 in our 2018 Grand Caravan, runs identical to 0 and 5w20. Going back to 5w20 though to match the truck for warranty purposes and ease of buying, as I can just grab 3 5qt jugs and have plenty for both.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Any engine "specified" for xW-20 is going to run fine (if not better) on xW-30. If only 5W-30 was available in the world, it would run fine in 99% of the cars on the road.

When someone or some article says an engine was "designed for a specific viscosity of oil", it's full of bull.

Which brand oil and weight do you run in your Z06 Vette?

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Which brand oil and weight do you run in your Z06 Vette?

Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic ... as specified by GM. If I was going to track it, I'd probably bump it up to a xW-40.

If 5W-30 is good enough for a Z06, it's good enough for just about anything normally driven on the road IMO.

Passenger car engines are not "designed around" an oil viscosity. Journal bearing clearances have been basically the same for the last 40+ years.

Originally Posted by tiger862

Well, if you find yourself missing the noises, use Mobil1 5w-30 next time...
lol.gif

Back