Dexos users, which oil do you prefer?

here motul is quite popular amongst dexos certified motoroils (so much so that counterfeits started circulating)
also got into the bandwagon and currently using it. i mostly drive my car long distance
smile.gif
no complaints so far. it was good price for a 5 litre container.
another popular brand is liqui moly...which is on the pricier side. nobody likes the GM branded oil that the dealer puts in from the barrel. that's for sure.

on the forums here people suggested that castrol edge ACEA C3 is a superior PAO based oil so i'll try to try that in my next oil change.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're asking about Dexos 2 which is normally C3 used in GM euro diesels? That's what I have to run in my Chevy Colorado. I always use a 5w40 and not a 5w30. I have some Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel I bought at NAPA queued up for my next oil change.

It's interesting that I have 1l bottles and not quarts which would be normal here in the USA. Perhaps this does have some PAO as it cost close to $10/qt here which is pretty expensive. Fortunately I had a coupon. I'll have to check and see where it was manufactured. Anyhow, use with confidence. It's good stuff.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
I'm guessing you're asking about Dexos 2 which is normally C3 used in GM euro diesels?

i dont know that much about dexos. my diesel car uses dexos2â„¢
smile.gif
it might be different for gasoline engines. that's why i put just 'dexos' on this thread.

add to the confusion the dexos site lists these 3:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

never heard of dexosD, here.

Last edited:
I've just finished a 20L tub of Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 AG - Dexos2 & C3. I did not require the dexos approval - the C3 spec, previous good experience with Shell oils and the price were the main drivers - 20L for £43 (£2.15 a litre). I've used it in three non-GM cars which were out of warranty and intend to send off some samples for a UOA in the next few days - oil changes done today at home. Out with the 5W30 and in with 0W30 Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 which was even cheaper!

With any C3 spec oil that has a solid manufacturer approval such as Dexos2, MB229.51, VW504/507 I doubt you can go too far wrong if you keep to reasonable oil change intervals.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Since we don't know if OP means DEXOS 1 GEN2 or DEXOS 2; I prefer to use either M1 0w30 of PP 5w30

OP has 1.6 turbo diesel (CDTi) in his Sig.... So dexos2...

Kameleon: he posted DEXOS users, which oil do you prefer. It has nothing to do with signatures also so doesn't matter. Thanks anyways

I got four 5L jugs of the X-Clean+ 5W30 for $45 shipped, total for all four, from a glitch on Amazon I think. A gift card I had brought the actual expenditure down to $13 for 20 liters. I'm likely going to use it off-label for a winter oil, or donate it for F&F OCs.

I would be interested to hear the differences between Dexos 2 & Dexos D, since Dexos 2 seems to be the light duty diesel oil, maybe Dexos D is the heavy duty one (Duramax use)?

Back