Recommend Battery Charger

Recommend a battery charger for me.

Uses: Car, truck, and smaller batteries found in garden tractors.
Options: Fully automatic, provide a starting boost if the battery is DEAD. Maybe more options would be nice, but I'm unaware at this time.

I do not know of a charger that meets those criteria.

That prologix charger is not fully automatic.

One needs to select voltage, amperage, and chemistry.

At 20 amps you want either a remote temp gauge, and or a temp gauge in the positive clamp like the Ctek 2500 has

An ambient temp sensor in the body of the charger isnt that helpful as the charger could be sitting on a cold concrete floor or bench and the battery could be sizzling.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
I do not know of a charger that meets those criteria.

That prologix charger is not fully automatic.

When I stated "automatic" I mean, it has multiple charging stages and automatically switches between those....until the battery is fully charged, and then the charger goes into a "maintenance" mode.

I am fully capable of selecting voltage and chemistry.

Not sure if this fits what you are looking for... I have a cheap solar panel charger that plugs into the 12v adapter and has a connector to connect to the battery as well. sits on the dash and has very low amps so it cant overcharge... Too weak to. It works great at keeping batteries maintained that the vehicle sits outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JO0KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a "normal" bigger charger for batteries I need to charge within that day/hours.. and a jump pack for quick starts.

Are you sure you would even use the boost feature of an equipped charger?

Modern vehicles are smart enough now to turn off lights that left on and other accidental battery drains. I haven't needed a boost for a dead battery in a long time. Sure I've had dead batteries recently, but they were all actual dead batteries that needed replacement and couldn't be merely jumped off and allowed to continue once the alternator was engaged.

I have the Pro-Logix as well and it's "revived" several batteries that were written off by parts stores. Plus if left connected, it switches automagically to a float mode, and will keep the battery ready through winter or something. Even on 10A, it's not super fast in completing a cycle, but then again, it's not a jump starter. If I were going short term revival, the 20A with boost is what I'd get.

The best bang of the buck is an old manual charger you may find at a yard sale or whatever. I have 4 chargers, 2 automatics, 1 tiny trickle charger and 1 old manual style. I usually end up using the old manual charger but you have to keep an eye on it. I you want one that will boost a vehicle, I suggest one that has at least a 100 amp boost setting

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
The best bang of the buck is an old manual charger you may find at a yard sale or whatever. I have 4 chargers, 2 automatics, 1 tiny trickle charger and 1 old manual style. I usually end up using the old manual charger but you have to keep an eye on it. I you want one that will boost a vehicle, I suggest one that has at least a 100 amp boost setting

Just how much are they at the garage sale? A regular 8 amp charger without boost capabilities is about $35 at Amazon. Used to be cheaper around $25, but probably Amazon doing its thing of raising and then lowering prices. You'd be hard pressed to find an 8 amp automatic charger for less, new or used.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1279-12V-Rapid-Charger/dp/B07DM22XTN

I would also recommend a Pro-Logix. Totally automatic as you described. However, Pro-Logix has discontinued the boost feature in all but their most expensive model, which runs about $100. It's a good charger, but a steep price to pay for the boost feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-PL2545-Intelligent-Battery/dp/B007P7ABE6?th=1

The model I have has a boost feature, but it has been discontinued. I just recently used the boost feature for the first time when my neighbor left a door open overnight on her Nissan Rogue. But if I didn't have the boost feature, I could have just jump started her car with one of mine.

You dont want to charge a wet lead acid at much more than 20% of the face value AH's-

This makes a 15 or 25 amp charger likely too large for the mower/tractor battery.

UD

I prefer a good hobby grade charger with a converted psu power supply for all of my charging needs. This way you can charge any battery you come across.

Originally Posted by R1jake
I prefer a good hobby grade charger with a converted psu power supply for all of my charging needs. This way you can charge any battery you come across.

You got a link?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I have the Pro-Logix as well and it's "revived" several batteries that were written off by parts stores. Plus if left connected, it switches automagically to a float mode, and will keep the battery ready through winter or something. Even on 10A, it's not super fast in completing a cycle, but then again, it's not a jump starter. If I were going short term revival, the 20A with boost is what I'd get.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement.
smile.gif

The pro logix is good bang for the buck for a charger with options. I have a 20A version, and like that I can set it at 2, 10, or 20A, and set the type (wet, gel or AGM). Gives definite comtrol, and also has a built in volt meter so I can check what is going on.

Ive never tried to force a dead battery. I know the latest NoCo chargers have that capability. They're also temperature compensated. You could get a 1A and a 5 or 10A for under $100 and have the luxury of two chargers to do different things.

I always like the battery minder 12248, but the 8A max can be limiting.

Aside from the boost feature Id stick with the optimate 6.

With the ability to smartly charge everything from 3-240 AH

It will cover just about everything on the farm.

With lead acids its plug in and walk away, if you want to do AGM's it one button push.

UD

Back