Changes With Super Tech And Fram At Walmart

Hello Everyone,

Wally World seems to making changes with in-store oil filter inventory.

This past weekend I needed a filter for my 1.4 Ecotec Turbo engine. I noticed a change in the box graphics of the Super Tech brand. The filter itself also has some changes with construction similar to Champion eCore design with plastic cage inside.

Box indicates new filter is made in China and calls out comparisons to Fram, Mobil1, and K&N Brands (all competing brands that Walmart carries) and indicates protection up to 10,000 miles. Fram Tough Guard was the only other equivalent that I could find on the shelf and the inventory of those also looked picked over.

When I opened the box to compare, it had no plastic or wire metal cage inside as what I remember from previous versions. There was no equivalent stock for Mobil 1 brand, and Mobil 1 stock also looked picked over, almost like it is going to be phased out.

Anyone have any additional thoughts as to what might be going on with Wally World oil filter selections?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I always reccomend Motorcraft Filters for anyone who has a Ford eco / Turbo engine.. In many cases they are less $ then say PureOne or BOSS or K&N and the old timers with DIESELS always ask for Motorcraft oil filters and Air Filters and Water Seperators / Fuel Filters for Fords....

Somthing about Motorcraft ... Also its made in USA.... I really dont trust CHINA.....

Originally Posted by Wrenchturner44
Hello Everyone,

Wally World seems to making changes with in-store oil filter inventory.

This past weekend I needed a filter for my 1.4 Ecotec Turbo engine. I noticed a change in the box graphics of the Super Tech brand. The filter itself also has some changes with construction similar to Champion eCore design with plastic cage inside.

Box indicates new filter is made in China and calls out comparisons to Fram, Mobil1, and K&N Brands (all competing brands that Walmart carries) and indicates protection up to 10,000 miles. Fram Tough Guard was the only other equivalent that I could find on the shelf and the inventory of those also looked picked over.

When I opened the box to compare, it had no plastic or wire metal cage inside as what I remember from previous versions. There was no equivalent stock for Mobil 1 brand, and Mobil 1 stock also looked picked over, almost like it is going to be phased out.

Anyone have any additional thoughts as to what might be going on with Wally World oil filter selections?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Most of the ST spin on filters are MADE IN ISA. I cut a few while back.

Originally Posted by David1
I always reccomend Motorcraft Filters for anyone who has a Ford eco / Turbo engine.. In many cases they are less $ then say PureOne or BOSS or K&N and the old timers with DIESELS always ask for Motorcraft oil filters and Air Filters and Water Seperators / Fuel Filters for Fords....

Somthing about Motorcraft ... Also its made in USA.... I really dont trust CHINA.....

Amen +1

I don't care for products from China either, but I care more about oil filters that stay intact during the OCI.

A hole in the media kinda negates it being an oil... filter, does it not?

Made in China = Pass. I was in Walmart Sunday and picked up a filter for my Escape. The filter inventory was full. I didn't see one single empty spot on the shelves.
I picked up some Castrol Edge too and the oil selection was also full. They must have just stocked.

A lot of the US-sold cartridges that aren't top-10 highest volume are imported from Asia and Mexico. Too many different designs, sizes and shapes to tool, handle, package, etc. Really the only folks making aftermarket oil cartridges in the USA are also making OE/OES cartridges and are often therefore vertically integrated on components. There, they break even on OE/OES volume and then make a much fatter margin on aftermarket off same tooling. Otherwise they're probably only making the high-margin cartridges that have decent sales volume.

I said it before....stores stock what sells and generates the most profit per linear foot of shelf space. If high end stuff doesn't sell, it won't be there long. If low end Frams sell like hotcakes, that will be all you see after while. A store five miles away may have a completely different customer base and therefore have different items. If you are a Wal Mart store manager and your review (and pay) depends on the profit you are able to generate, you better believe that they pour over those computer printouts!

Originally Posted by David1

The 1.4 Ecotec turbo is a GM engine (not Ford...which would use Ecoboost terminology) which is used in the Cruze, Sonic and some others....
It was an Opel design. When I owned my Cruze with this engine I used AC filters because the Fram's were made in China.....I also avoid Chinese made products when possible....but it's often difficult since so much of our manufacturing has moved there....sadly...

Buicks are very popular in China, maybe Champ Labs has a factory there and these are sent back here rather than make them in USA. Hengst I thought was the recommended brand for your filter housing, but this ST for cheap would work fine. I would pay the extra for a Hengst or anything not made in PRC.

Oil filter brands and their relationships with who manufacturers the filters for them changes about as fast as relationships in TV soap operas.

How can op avoid the plastic cage when his car takes a cartridge filter? For the most part, the 2 go hand in hand.

In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if it's identical to the GM part.

Guys,

Thanks for all of your replies. No retailer near me carries the AC part for this engine (Ecotec 1.4 Turbo). My choices are pretty much Walmart and the associated brands they carry, Autozone, Advance Auto, and Oreilly. Autozone carries STP, Advance carries Purolator, and Oreilly has Mobil 1, Microguard, K&N, and Wix.

My normal OCI for the vehicles I own with this engine, are 6,500 miles, so I don't exceed the filter or synthetic oil life. I also hear what you are saying. WM changes brands / items depending on volume, and the lack of consistency obligates the consumer who cares, to do their homework so in order to validate what they think they are indeed purchasing.

Last but not least, most WM stores are in TIF (tax incentive) zones and the sales tax rates are usually higher by comparison. I urge all savvy consumers to check the amount of sales tax you pay when shopping there. To get the effective tax rate divide the sales tax total amount by the subtotal......you may be surprised at total rate you are paying.

Last but not least, most WM stores are in TIF (tax incentive) zones and the sales tax rates are usually higher by comparison. I urge all savvy consumers to check the amount of sales tax you pay when shopping there. To get the effective tax rate divide the sales tax total amount by the subtotal......you may be surprised at total rate you are paying.

You going to drive around to different Walmarts to save 0.1% sales tax?

Guys,

Thanks for all of your replies. No retailer near me carries the AC part for this engine (Ecotec 1.4 Turbo). My choices are pretty much Walmart and the associated brands they carry, Autozone, Advance Auto, and Oreilly. Autozone carries STP, Advance carries Purolator, and Oreilly has Mobil 1, Microguard, K&N, and Wix.

My normal OCI for the vehicles I own with this engine, are 6,500 miles, so I don't exceed the filter or synthetic oil life. I also hear what you are saying. WM changes brands / items depending on volume, and the lack of consistency obligates the consumer who cares, to do their homework so in order to validate what they think they are indeed purchasing.

Buy it online
smile.gif

Rock Auto has the Hengst E611H, which is the OE oil filter. There is also the ACDelco PF2257G which is supplied by Hengst

If you can find it, the Mann HU612/2X is also a good filter

Thanks for the tip regarding the Hengst filters on Rock Auto. I will check them out.

Regarding the sales tax TIF situation at Walmart, I should have made my point more clear. Everyone thinks WM is cheaper on everything, and they are on many items, but when you add the larger sales tax amounts that they charge for being in a TIF zone in most cities, the items you buy may not be so cheap by comparison.

Just a consideration.....as most people never look at the sale tax amount or percentage that they are paying.

No idea what a TIF zone is. I pay 8.25% sales tax wherever I buy stuff anywhere around me.
Texas has a fixed 6.25% rate for the State, with a max of 2% allowed to be added on by local govt (which of course they all tax at the max).
I don't think about the tax because it is the same regardless of where I buy (including online).

Back