Anybody in West Virginia?

My wife and I just got married Saturday in Warsaw, Indiana. Spent our wedding night at Ironworks Hotel in Indy, and now we're at the Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg, West Virginia. Tomorrow, we'll head down to the Fayetteville, WV area for 3 nights in a cabin near the New River Gorge Bridge before heading back to Nashville.

It's our first time in West Virginia, and we really like it, so far. Compared to the big city, it's like stepping back in time!

I think one day we're going to drive up to Spruce Knob, in Monongahela National Forest, which is the highest point in the state. Hopefully they don't have the roads closed. We'll check first. I think the wife wants to try to check out some waterfalls, too.

Where are some of y'all's favorite spots in West Virginia?

547BB088-C220-4FA9-8E9B-AF46342941D4.png

While in Fayetteville make sure to check out the New River Gorge bridge. The New River (actually one the oldest in the world ) is one of the few rivers that flows north. Starting in North Carolina it flows north along the ridges of the Appalachian mountains. I've been to "bridge day" several times and ended many a whitewater rafting trip at the takeout underneath the massive bridge.
The Summersville Dam, so named for the second closest city to the dam site, is near by. Dams are usually named for the river that they control but Gauley Dam just didnt sound right. It could have been named for the town that ended up under its flood plain but Gad Dam didnt sound too good either. ( Type Gad WV into google maps) Too bad most of the excellent restaurants are closed by current events but they truly put the "comfort" in comfort food. Enjoy your trip and many happy years to come.

Last edited:
John_pifer What do you enjoy?
I am curious why you chose WVA for honeymoon?
I LOVE WVA I live now in Va. I live too close to Washington D.C. and there is too many swamp rats and anti USA people here, now.
I will be able to give you some focused recommendations if you tell me what you enjoy.
Do you live in Tennessee or Indiana now?

My favorite spot is getting the H3CK out of that S-hole.

It's a den of meth and heroin addicts, where you can't walk alone for a mile without a gun.

It's a beautiful place, ruined by people who want a way out and self-medicate instead. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Yes it is like stepping back in time, but in a bad way, when you consider what the midwestern hills were like back in time.

Hopefully you have a scenic resort vacation isolated from the reality of that region. Ignorance is bliss.

Despite my negativity, congratulations, I wish the best for you! Please leave for your own safety.
wink.gif

Last edited:
A few suggestions...

Cass Scenic Railroad, Cass WV...
The Shay logging locomotives are not running, but The Last Run Restaurant is open for takeout on select days, check their Facebook page for time and menu.
Whittaker Station is accessible by road, you may want to take a picnic lunch up there...

Babcock State Park, Clifftop WV
Bring your lunch, enjoy a walk on one of the many trails.
Make sure you leave a note on your dash stating when you left, where you went, and estimated return time. Saved my bacon once...

Davis and Elkins College, Dolly Sods, Beckley Science museum ( probably closed), etc...

There is also a rail to trail running from Beckley to Cass, need to find more info on it...

I could throw a rock and hit West Virginia from where I work. Although it's not one of the most desirable areas. There's camping spots near the Potomac river here, but that's it. Hilbillies and meth is all basically... The parts your in are in the better part of the state. Congrats and enjoy your stay!

Congratulations! Hawk's Nest State Park is fairly close by you on US 60, that's a pretty spot. Hope you guys have a good time over there, some scenic, rugged country in that part of WV.

If you go to the New River Gorge bridge, take the time to go down to the old bridge and cross it. It will put it into perspective how huge of an accomplishment the new bridge was.

Don't speed or do anything to attract the attention of the police in Gauley Bridge, WV.

"The Charleston Gazette reported in 2010 that, in the previous three and a half years, Gauley Bridge police had issued 5,057 speeding tickets — more than any other city or town in the state. The town's population was 614 at the time.".

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
A few suggestions...

Cass Scenic Railroad, Cass WV...
The Shay logging locomotives are not running, but The Last Run Restaurant is open for takeout on select days, check their Facebook page for time and menu.
Whittaker Station is accessible by road, you may want to take a picnic lunch up there...

Babcock State Park, Clifftop WV
Bring your lunch, enjoy a walk on one of the many trails.
Make sure you leave a note on your dash stating when you left, where you went, and estimated return time. Saved my bacon once...

Davis and Elkins College, Dolly Sods, Beckley Science museum ( probably closed), etc...

There is also a rail to trail running from Beckley to Cass, need to find more info on it...

I graduated from D&E decades ago.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
If you go to the New River Gorge bridge, take the time to go down to the old bridge and cross it. It will put it into perspective how huge of an accomplishment the new bridge was.

Don't speed or do anything to attract the attention of the police in Gauley Bridge, WV.

"The Charleston Gazette reported in 2010 that, in the previous three and a half years, Gauley Bridge police had issued 5,057 speeding tickets — more than any other city or town in the state. The town's population was 614 at the time.".

Went there years ago with my dad. A lot of stair.climbing! Interesting fact is why they didn't paint the bridge and allowed it to rust to protect it

Congrats! You guys take a great picture. I don't have a lot of WVA info, but I did visit the historic Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greenbrier

The Texans had their training camp there a few years ago. Even if its not fully open right now its great to look around at the structures and landscaping. Best wishes for a long and happy marriage. If you ever get down to TX, look me up.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14
Congratulations, John!

Great picture of you guys!

Beautiful!

I agree! That's a awesome picture of you two! Good looking couple!
11.gif

Back