which wheel brearing grease RWD Ford F350

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I need to replace the front bearings in my RWD 2006 Ford F-350. I purchased timken bearing grease. Reading another thread in this forum0 it suggested Mobil SHC Polyrex 462 white grease.

I now have both greases- but am a bit concerned as I have never used white grease on a bearing, etc.

I do live in the mountains, haul a 7,000 lb trailer, and usually drive extended distance through major interstate mountain passes.

Any thoughts?

timken grease.jpg

mobil grease.jpg

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Ford has recommended a grease with a small percentage of Moly added for many years. Whether a grease containing Moly is necessary or even critical has been a subject of debate for a while. My preference would be the Timken grease if it were my truck.

Your Mobil grease is a food safe polyurea grease that doesn't show any extreme pressure data nor any mention of recommended use for wheel bearings/chassis, i.e., GC-LB

Originally Posted by Chris142
Valvoline Moly wheel bearing grease for Ford vehicles is what you want.

Chris,

Is this what you are recommending?

valvoline moly.jpeg

Originally Posted by GON

Chris,

Or this?

Val-Grease-FS-product.jpg

The red Valvoline grease is what I've used for years on wheel bearings for years. I have used the Valvoline synthetic grease with good results, but it is more expensive. If there is still a warranty on the truck, I would use the Valvoline grease recommended for Ford product wheel bearings.

Thanks for the replies. Ended up purchasing synthetic Valvoline with Moly.

The only reason I was looking at the Mobil product was a misreading of a another thread on BITOG- my error.

I did write Mobil (since I already purchased four tubes of Mobil SHC Polyrex 462 white grease.

This was their response:
We do not recommend Mobil SHC Polyrex 462 for automotive wheel bearings. This product is a food grade, high temperature grease intended for industrial machinery. We have not tested its performance in wheel bearing applications and its base oil viscosity (ISO VG 460) exceeds the typical viscosity range you'd expect in this application.

We tend to recommend NLGI GC-LB rated greases for automotive wheel bearings. GC-LB is a performance classification that many manufacturers in North America specify for wheel bearings/chassis. The spec provides a general assessment of a grease's overall performance in wheel bearing and chassis applications. It tests many key properties relevant to this application including rust protection, water washout, oil separation, EP/AW properties, low temperature torque, high temperature bearing life, fretting protection…

If you're looking for our best synthetic GC-LB rated grease for automotive wheel bearings, I'd recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease.

Changed out the F350 RWD front wheel bearings yesterday. Used the Valvoline fully synthetic grease with moly.

The Ford had its original bearings and grease. The grease was pretty clean and was green in color.

The Valvoline full synthetic moly is charcoal black in color. It has a very different texture than any other grease for bearings I have worked with, including the FORD OEM grease.

Originally Posted by GON

Chris,

The blue one. I run it in my stuff.

Back