Puzzle me this ??

2007 Suburban 5.3 with 200K miles

Out Carquest 10W40 full syn HM and Mobil 1 filter

+small white 10 oz bottle of Valvoline motor fush added

In Mobil super 10W30 + 1 bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer

*I run it a little thick since we're about to hit HOT Texas months

Before OC, I was at horrible 20-25 PSI idle. Now back to normal 35-40 ?? And she runs GREAT !!!

Any ideas ?? bad filter ?? Adding the Lucas ??

Dave

Why is that a puzzle?

You changed a lot there however. I doubt the temperature was exactly the same either.

But for the most part higher oil pressure is due to more viscous oil, so...

The Lucas make the oil thicker, so the pressure is higher. I'm not a fan of it, as it dilutes the oil add pack, making it a weaker oil.

Keep an eye on it though. Your truck may be in the range of those where the oil pickup tube o-ring goes bad. When that happens they suck air into the oil pickup stream.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Keep an eye on it though. Your truck may be in the range of those where the oil pickup tube o-ring goes bad. When that happens they suck air into the oil pickup stream.

Ya i'm thinking of this also. I have owned 10 of these 2000+LSX trucks and half of them I had to do that typical o-ring/oil pan gasket change on them. Seems to me VERY common after 200K miles
smirk2.gif

I learned from now on NO MORE 4x4's. Nothing but $$$$$$$$ down the drain in extra repairs and R&R

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hemitom
20 to 25 psi is not horrible at idle.

Fresh oil , and the lucas would help to thicken it up.

Maybe for you kanucks ??
lol.gif
, But down here in "boiler Room" Texas its LOW !!

Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84

Maybe for you kanucks ??
lol.gif

Dave

You have a valid point there
cheers3.gif

How do you like the RGT in the silverado ?

Maybe for you kanucks ??
lol.gif

Dave

You have a valid point there
cheers3.gif

How do you like the RGT in the silverado ?

I honestly cant say much yet. I haven't driven it much due to the "shutdown" of everything. Maybe 50 miles to go get a cheap plastic bed liner for it lol And now It has a BAD fuel leak from top of tank, So really cant drive it that much until I get that fixed.

Shell Rotella is NO joke and from what I heard/read, they invested TONS of $$$$$ in RGT. But sad to see it fail so soon
frown.gif
Maybe if they had marketed it as for both car and truck it might have helped it sell more to consumers ??
21.gif

BUT !! I ran the RGT 5W20 in my Crown vic and it didnt like it ??. Last OCI, I changed over to M1 5W20 truck/SUV and boy does she run nice and smooth now
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Your oil pressure is fine in reality, but it is down from what those engines usually have. The pickup tube o-ring is the most common culprit.

Using Lucas Oil Stabilizer is just diluting your additive package which does a lot more harm than good. That stuff is just an obnoxiously viscous goo with no additives in it. It's the epitome of deceptive marketing. Also, if you feel you have to add something to your oil to make it "better," you need to use better oil.

Furthermore, Lucas Oil Stabilizer has really poor shear stability with an SSI of 50. Your viscosity will shear right back down to a 30 grade pretty quickly.

I also don't see a need for higher viscosity in the summer. I've lived all over the South with oil temp gauges in most of my vehicles and have never observed more than a 10*F variance in operating oil temp regardless if it's 20*F in January or 100*F in July. In fact, the only time I saw oil temps increase a bit was when I used a higher viscosity. Higher viscosity means more hydrodynamic friction which means more heat.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Your oil pressure is fine in reality, but it is down from what those engines usually have. The pickup tube o-ring is the most common culprit.

Using Lucas Oil Stabilizer is just diluting your additive package which does a lot more harm than good. That stuff is just an obnoxiously viscous goo with no additives in it. It's the epitome of deceptive marketing. Also, if you feel you have to add something to your oil to make it "better," you need to use better oil.

Furthermore, Lucas Oil Stabilizer has really poor shear stability with an SSI of 50. Your viscosity will shear right back down to a 30 grade pretty quickly.

I also don't see a need for higher viscosity in the summer. I've lived all over the South with oil temp gauges in most of my vehicles and have never observed more than a 10*F variance in operating oil temp regardless if it's 20*F in January or 100*F in July. In fact, the only time I saw oil temps increase a bit was when I used a higher viscosity. Higher viscosity means more hydrodynamic friction which means more heat.

I see your point and very vaild. THanks to my MEGA stash of oil, I do short OCI's since most of my driving is short and stop and go. I only plan to run this OCI until July and then change again so I run Mobil Super synthetic I got for $3.50 5qt jug, so its Mehh oil to begin with.

Probably going to use my stash of M1 5W30 Truck/Suv next OCI
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

This covers it completely
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

thumbsup2.gif

+1

Seems as if the OP is shilling for Lucas for some reason...

Originally Posted by gathermewool

thumbsup2.gif

+1

No I'm not Sponsored By Lucas Products which is based in Corona(non virus), California and been in Business since 1989.... OHHH YAAAA DUFF MAN !! .

I just had a LARGE stash of it in boxes from Pep Boys store "flop out" I got them for $1.07 a bottle after $10 off coupon
crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool

thumbsup2.gif

+1

No I'm not Sponsored By Lucas Products which is based in Corona(non virus), California and been in Business since 1989.... OHHH YAAAA DUFF MAN !! .

I just had a LARGE stash of it in boxes from Pep Boys store "flop out" I got them for $1.07 a bottle after $10 off coupon
crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif

Dave

Do you own a chainsaw? Mixing it with some ATF so that it has at least some semblance of an AW additive package might make it work OK as bar oil.

crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif

Dave

You spent $1.07 too much.

crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif

Dave

01.gif

Lucas =
37.gif

crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif

Dave

...‚🤣...‚

Back