Will Mitsubishi Leave the US Market?

Mitsubishi has not been doing well in the US market recently. It's CEO has said they could leave the country. After the recession that will come from this pandemic, do you think that this is the last time you will see Mitsubishi in this country?

Unless they merge and have some sort of strategic partnership. They used to be joined at the hip with Chrysler. I'm thinking a consortium of Ford,Nissan and Mitsubishi going forward to be relevant. I think the auto manufacturers are all going to have to become bigger through mergers to compete globally in future markets, sort of like the oil companies already have done.

I see more small Mitsubishi box trucks on the road than their passenger vehicles.

Not surprised if they leave the American market.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Unless they merge and have some sort of strategic partnership. They used to be joined at the hip with Chrysler. I'm thinking a consortium of Ford,Nissan and Mitsubishi going forward to be relevant. I think the auto manufacturers are all going to have to become bigger through mergers to compete globally in future markets, sort of like the oil companies already have done.

Mitsubishi is part of the Nissan Renault Group.

As an outside observer I have noticed the US has a smaller range of all vehicles available to consumers than other countries...eg NZ. Used to be the US was the biggest market and everyone wanted to sell there. But with so many restrictions to comply with, I don't think some can be bothered to make a US only model, the market in the rest of the world is much bigger now. Mitsubishi does very well in the rest of the world.

Originally Posted by parimento1
Mitsubishi has not been doing well in the US market recently. It's CEO has said they could leave the country. After the recession that will come from this pandemic, do you think that this is the last time you will see Mitsubishi in this country?

Mitsu is a huge company with many lines of business that barely exists in the US car market these days.
Were they to leave now I wouldn't be surprised.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I did not know that. Isn't FCA buying Renault...or something like that? Maybe it was another European automaker. I could research it myself but what's the fun in that?

Originally Posted by PimTac

I did not know that. Isn't FCA buying Renault...or something like that? Maybe it was another European automaker. I could research it myself but what's the fun in that?

FCA got bought by Peugeot Group.

Lots of consolidating going on.

You hate to see another choice go away, but no one is buying the Mirage and even their CUV/SUV line is irrelevant. They'd have been better off if they built CUVs/SUVs for Nissan, FCA, etc.. sort of like the old days.

Hope not.

Fewer choices are worse for all of us.

My first new car was a 90 eclipse turbo - great car I have many fond memories of.

UD

Originally Posted by Silk
As an outside observer I have noticed the US has a smaller range of all vehicles available to consumers than other countries...eg NZ. Used to be the US was the biggest market and everyone wanted to sell there. But with so many restrictions to comply with, I don't think some can be bothered to make a US only model, the market in the rest of the world is much bigger now. Mitsubishi does very well in the rest of the world.

Exactly. I've been in places where 20-30% of the vehicles on the roads were Mitsubishi. They have a lot of success in developing markets and developed markets in Asia for example.

Originally Posted by Silk

Agree, it is sad what a limited selection we have compared to other countries. Protectionism... It is a deep and sordid topic, but as an enthusiast w/ a taste for niche vehicles one of the end results is that smaller, niche manufacturers are effectively shut out of the market to the detriment of the consumer.

Funny, I was just looking at a very nice, survivor 1988 Dodge Raider/Mitsubishi Montero as a car for the vacation place... Those are great and capable little vehicles and I probably won't see to many others coming around the corner.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Hope not.

Fewer choices are worse for all of us.

My first new car was a 90 eclipse turbo - great car I have many fond memories of.

UD

True

Mitsubishi has not been doing well in the US market recently.

Recently? They've been struggling for years. I'm surprised they're still here.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Mitsubishi has not been doing well in the US market recently.

Recently? They've been struggling for years. I'm surprised they're still here.

They never really recovered here from that 0% for 24 months no payments fiasco way back when.

If their pick up wasn't so ugly they should bring that over. I did a recent trip to NZ and Australia and I can't believe no one is bringing over a pickup in full "outback" spec.
[Linked Image]

They wouldn't sell like a full size but there must be some room to undercut the crazy prices for the jeep gladiator.
I really wanted an Outlander, it would be the right size, with the capability for the odd 7 passenger trip but the V6 with a timing belt, low hp and premium fuel recommendation, was a deal breaker for me atleast. Their cute ute's does actually sell pretty good here as our local dealer is quite good.

Last edited:
My 1977 Dodge Colt was a Mitsubishi made car....it was a great simple little car.
My 1992 Hyundai Sonata had a great Mitsubishi designed 2.0 DOHC (4G32 I think) but it's K175 Mitsubishi A/T was JUNK....

I like some of Mitsu's recent cars like the Galant....but the MPG isn't great with only a 4spd. A/T...

The cars that I would like to see in the USA are Skoda's and SEAT's...but VW won't sell them here because they'd
sell better than Mexican made VW's....

I just checked the inventory level of the local Mitsubishi dealer. 29 total vehicles. 15 - 2020's, 14 - 2019's.

Pretty bad when you have nearly as many 2019's still around, as you do 2020's.... and the 2021 models aren't too far off.

Back