Silverado 3500 Service Cost

I provided all the fluids and filters and gaskets

The shop:
--dropped the transmission pan and changed filter
--drain and fill the transfer case
--drain and fill the front and rear axles
--changed the engine oil and filter

What was the cost??

Not a dealer, but a reputable local garage.

3 hr.

Probably $600, maybe more since they were not allowed to make money on parts markup.

I think $250 or lower.
Of those 4 things the only one that would take any significant time would be the trans pan.
If the trans pan had a real gasket and not FIPG then it should be even cheaper.

Shop rate by the hour, Shop supplies, disposal fees,Tax. It is going to vary by regional shop rates. Low end maybe $250, High end $500+

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
3 hr.

Probably $600, maybe more since they were not allowed to make money on parts markup.

+1

Sorry. I was going to do this work myself, but recently slipped a disc in my back and took the truck and my supplies to a local garage.

The bill was $450 total.

They posted on my bill $100/hour. 2 hours to do front and rear axles, 1.5 to do tranny, and 0.5 hours to do transfer case and change oil. $50 in shop supplies and waste.

Last edited:
I'd charge $340....Got to drop the Y-pipe down to remove the trans pan. I'm sure it cost you less as this has "Bragging" written all over it
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Phishin
Sorry. I was going to do this work myself, but recently slipped a disc in my back and took the truck and my supplies to a local garage.

The bill was $450 total.

They posted on my bill $100/hour. 2 hours to do front and rear axles, 1.5 to do tranny, and 0.5 hours to do transfer case and change oil. $50 in shop supplies and waste.

I was wrong....You weren't going to brag, Foot inserted in mouth!!!

My quote was for 3.4 hours @ $100 an hour. $50 is a little excessive for supplies & waste....1 can of brake clean, Couple rags, And they probably have a waste oil heater being in Indiana & all?

I was going to guess $360. Of the diff is like my truck, OE design is to remove the cover, which is a mess... but easier/less messy than an AT pan drop. I'm surprised the differentials were more than the AT.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'd charge $340....Got to drop the Y-pipe down to remove the trans pan. I'm sure it cost you less as this has "Bragging" written all over it
wink.gif

Get an aftermarket transmission pan that has a drain plug, so you never have to drop the pan again
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by clinebarger
wink.gif

Get an aftermarket transmission pan that has a drain plug, so you never have to drop the pan again
happy2.gif

That's exactly what I did this past fall. Dropped the pan and added a drain plug on our Sierra. Truck had 50k on it when it was done and I was amazed at how clean the magnet was. Hope to never need to drop it again.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
happy2.gif

I will just use my MityVac for the next 100,000 miles and suck out a few quarts and pour in a few fresh quarts every now and again.

I made this post because I was a little surprised at the cost. When I walked in to pay, it was $530, and I immediately got them down to $450... But had a sour taste in my mouth still.

Not getting a price quote first and bringing your own parts lead to stuff like this.

Back