Chain Tensioners / Guides Choice Help

Y_K

Hi,
I need to order a chain replacement kit for a Panther in my extended family fleet, that is Ford modular v8 of 2004 vintage. Chain guide start to rattle at 280k miles in her Towncar. Looking at the Melling chain kit with cast iron guides (3387SG) vs Melling kit with the polymer primary guides (3387SIF). The job is going to be performed by a professional mechanic. I am clueless in this.

Which one would you chose?

Thank you in advance.

What does your mechanic say? What about OEM? If you tell mechanic what to use and something goes wrong he may not want to hear it.

If you got 280K out of the original then why not go OEM?

Last edited:
Mechanic is irrelevant in this case. But thank you for pointing out to this variable. The car can go for another 600k miles or it can go to a junk yard.
It is of a personal sentimental value, but nobody will accuse the mechanic if anything goes 'wrong'.

As my wife puts it: "My calculations were correct, just not in my favour".

It is still easy and cheap to take care of panthers. I had a nearly new rear end, whole nine yards, delivered and swapped for less than $500. The only thing I regret is not taking advantage of new crate engines when they were on every web page for nearly nothing. Now they are gone. The cheap ones that is.

My choice would be the Melling kit with the metal. My instinct is to opt for metal when both metal and plastic are available for the same application.

And if it fails for some reason, you can always swap in a Mustang engine
19.gif

I think you're mistaken, the guides are the same in both kits. The TENSIONERS are different. You definitely want the metal bodied tensioners.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I think you're mistaken, the guides are the same in both kits. The TENSIONERS are different. You definitely want the metal bodied tensioners.

I *am* clueless. Thank you

Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by 14Accent

I *am* clueless. Thank you

No problem! I'm glad I noticed, I was curious myself when you said guides. I've replaced several of the plastic units with metal, they're much much better quality.

The only knock against the plastic body tensioners is the body seal will eventually blow out, And I would be surprised if that happened to a updated one in under 200,000 miles. I've rarely seen the plastic tensioners even with blown seal cause much issue on a 2V Modular. Guide wear & Breakage is most common.

The 3V Modulars are a whole other can of worms & people like the blame the Tensioner seals, But VCT system & Oil Pump Leakage is the main culprit.

Back