ATF for 2005 Toyota Highlander 4 Cylinder

I have some Valvoline MaxLife ATF (red gallon jug) left from doing D&F's on all our Pontiac Vibes. Can I use this in a 2005 Highlander 4 cylinder?

What does your Owner's Manual recommend?
I mean, I've used it in my wife's RX300 that required T-IV. And I believe that ML states for T-IV and WS along with many other MFG's applications.

I have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF in Honda's Toyota's, Nissan's, Mazda's & GM's
I have also used Castrol TransMax Import Multi Vehicle is those same trannies.

Here's Maxlife ATF:

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Last edited:
From the Idemitsu website Type I-V is the recommended fluid. Idemitsu LTS Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C is 34.9. Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C is 7.3. The Valvoline Max Life is 5.91/28.82. (For Toyota WS recommendation Idemitsu LTS-LV which is KV 5.3/22.8.) So....I'm no expert, but this tells me Max Life's KV is in between the two Idemitsu fluid types. I just did a pan drop in a 07' Rav4 V6 (Toyota WS) and used the Idemitsu LTS-LV. Shift's beautifully. Toyota dealer did a fluid flush using ? and after 25K the fluid did not look all that good. I'm impressed by the Idemitsu transmission fluid. The LTS-LV was $6 a quart @ Autozone. I'd personally would use the Idemitsu LTS fluid in your Highlander but I don't really see a problem using the Max Life as the specs are not that far off. Just my opinion.

Yes, you can use the Maxlife with no problem
smile.gif

T-IV compared to similar ATFs

T-IV
33cst (40°C)
7.1cst (100°C)

Mobil 1 3309
33cst (40°C)
7.1cst (100°C)

Dex III
33. 8 (40°C)
7. 3 (100°C)

Transmax multi (NOT Import)
35 (40°C)
7.1 (100°C)

Transmax Import Multi
36.6 (40°C)
8 (100°C)

Maxlife Multi
28.82 (40°C)
5.91 (100°C)

I wouldn't. LeakySeals has enough evidence to argue my case.

Use what the owner's manual calls for. Those "one size fits all" products bother me.
I mean, how can one ATF fit both the T-IV and the WS requirements at the same time???????

27.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
I wouldn't. LeakySeals has enough evidence to argue my case.

Use what the owner's manual calls for. Those "one size fits all" products bother me.
I mean, how can one ATF fit both the T-IV and the WS requirements at the same time???????

27.gif

I tend to agree ↑↑↑↑↑

What does the actual manual specify ??

I'd go with that. .

In my lady's Camry a 99 I used Dexron III... Like the manual states.

One thing about this whole deal is... It is not about viscosity... It's much more about the additives... and if I am remembering correctly... There's a big difference between T-IV and WS in their respective additive packages. I think the Honda DW fluid also is different in it's additive package... In a good number of cases the additives really are what is important to how well a fluid will work within a transmission.

In my Nissan Altima VQ the CVT fluid must have the correct coefficient of friction needed. . Or it just will not work at all... It's about the additives in the fluid.

Far be it from me to argue with experts equipped with numbers, so here's my anecdote: My '02 Camry 2.4 liter, 4sd auto (U151E?) has had MaxLife ATF in its original, unopened (except for filter replacements during pan drops) transmission for the last 180K miles. The car now has 294K miles on it, and still shifts smoothly with no weird noises, and little, if any, crud on the pan magnets when the filter has been changed. YMMV, but I'd use the MaxLife again, just as I have for the past eleven years we've owned it.

OEM fluid for coolants and ATF is the very least you can stick with OEM.
My mantra after lots of pain is monkeying in both these departments will set you backwards both in cost and peace of mind.

Back