1/2 drive deep sockets

Hello, I am in the market for a set of sockets, deep, half in drive, SAE. Was thinking about the new ICON brand from HF. What do people recommend here, is there a better option out there? I am not a professional, just a weekend warrior but enjoy good tools and understand good tools cost money. But I dont think I need a $500 set of snap on sockets either.. what do you have experience with and recommend?

I've got a nice set of Williams Sockets. They're beautiful and work flawlessly. Made in the US. Flank drive (Williams makes sockets for Snap-on).

Bought them on Zoro. Used a 20% off coupon, which they run periodically.

https://www.zoro.com/snap-on-indust...-std-12pt-15pcs-sae-wss-15rc/i/G7169681/

Be careful, as not all Williams tools are made in the US. If the manufacturer part number is alpha-numeric, it's US. If it's all numeric, they're Taiwanese and still excellent tools.

The Taiwanese (I've got some from Williams) tools are an excellent value - top of the line tools, at a reasonable price. Ordered on Zoro, they're about the same price as the junk that Lowe's sells under the Craftsman name...

Last edited:
a friend has a set of ICON from harbor freight ..he loves them, I have a complete set of craftsman for years now ,Lowes sells craftsman but i'm not sure how good they are , I imagine they are still pretty good

Originally Posted by Redright9
Hello, I am in the market for a set of sockets, deep, half in drive, SAE. Was thinking about the new ICON brand from HF. What do people recommend here, is there a better option out there? I am not a professional, just a weekend warrior but enjoy good tools and understand good tools cost money. But I dont think I need a $500 set of snap on sockets either.. what do you have experience with and recommend?

Wright Tools. On Amazon and other places. A step below Snap-On. But quality made in USA.

I'm sure Icon might technically be ?better? among Asian impact sockets, but do you need it? I'm a semi truck mechanic and while most of my tools are made in the USA, some of my tools at home aren't.
I recently bought Metric deep wheels from Amazon and am impressed. Made by Neiko in Taiwan. They are complete without skipping sizes. I'd have no issue using them professionally.
Look at the number of 5 star ratings and Amazons choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02476A...sae+impact&qid=1587401054&sr=8-1

Take a look over at McMaster Carr. They have good quality sockets like Williams and Snap On. Their budget made in USA sockets are pretty good pricewise.

Home Depot had a box of Husky sockets on clearance for $60. Two hundred sockets of all sizes and shapes up to like 32mm or 1 1/4 in. I bought a box. They may still have some in the stores. Any socket can be exchanged for a new one for life no receipt needed.

Cant tell you how many HF "Hardened" tools ive broken. My craftsman on the other hand Ive had for many years no problem. If you're looking for light duty then HF is OK but the deep well sockets can crack down the sides if you are hard on them.

Originally Posted by Redright9
If memory serves me proper, isn't Williams the same company that manufacturers for Snap on?

Yep. Great quality stuff.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Cant tell you how many HF "Hardened" tools ive broken. My craftsman on the other hand Ive had for many years no problem. If you're looking for light duty then HF is OK but the deep well sockets can crack down the sides if you are hard on them.

I've had some of my Craftsman tools for 40+ years. A patina of scratches and wear on the chrome gives them character, but no rust, and nearly not wear, and they've held up very, very well.

I bought a replacement 7/8" Craftsman combination wrench at Lowe's (I had modified the original to get out an O2 sensor, on which none of my O2 Sockets fit).

Poor finish, not as well made, just not nearly as good as the ones stamped "Forged in the USA".

Really disappointing

I bought another, old USA forged Craftsman 7/8" at an antique store recently. Half the price of the junk Lowe's is selling (which is made in China) as Craftsman, and it fits in great with the rest of the tools.

Last edited:
Williams! Check this out, USA made same as the higher priced Snap on, made in the same factory with the same machines. Forget that Icon crap, reports on their sockets are iffy and their price is way too high for what they are. Their torque wrenches are $8 less than a USA made CDI or $20 less than a made in England Norbar pro, forget it.
This set should do fine but they sell singles also (Icon doesn't) if you need to add something.

https://www.toolsdelivered.com/will...eep-socket-set-6-pt-11-pc-1.2-1-1.8-inch

I've liked Zoro, especially when they run a 15 or 20% off coupon. See my link above.

Trav just recommended tools delivered.

Try those.

Just gave it to you. +1 on Zoro with coupon, lately they have been jacking the price just before putting coupons out there so check other places also.

Last edited:
Nobody's asked yet... do you want impact or chrome? Are thin walls important to you?

PROTO from Zoro with the coupon. I've never experienced the increase in price before they send the coupons. Perhaps I haven't been paying attention.

I saw this happen just a couple of weeks ago, my friend Frank (demarpaint) was looking at something and he noticed it too. It was one price one day then bumped up the next, a coupon came in the email that day for 25%. Not saying this happens all the time but be aware and shop before pulling the trigger

Back