Just did spark plugs at 25k @ VW

I happen to look up recommended maintenance items on the wife's Jetta.

Go figure 30k intervals on the spark plugs for the 1.4T. Little surprised to say the least but sure why not. I should have taken photos of the engine layout. But it's a 4 cylinder, coils on top. Removed intake pipe. pretty easy to reach except #4. part of the charge pipe blocks it but you can make it work. I can see possible issues when things get more brittle.

Either way, plugs came out like any other plugs i've pulled. No oil, nothing soaked. Bosch plugs out, Bosch plugs in. Here are two photos. Thoughts?

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6056.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

One more reason for me to never buy a VW. Don't look great for 30K, but not bad enough to pull. They must know something that I don't... like how to get your money.

Think I might have had those change intervals on my Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. Of course that had a manual choke that could really screw things up if you didn't pull the cable in enough. The sixties were a long time ago, don't think I could put up with constantly putting in new plugs. At least it's not a V6.

Last edited:
Plugs look pretty normal ... engine is in good shape and running well from the looks of the plug photos.

I would have replaced them with a Platinum or Iridium plug and forget about the plugs for the next 60-80k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
One more reason for me to never buy a VW. Don't look great for 30K, but not bad enough to pull. They must know something that I don't... like how to get your money.

Think I might have had those change intervals on my Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. Of course that had a manual choke that could really screw things up if you didn't pull the cable in enough. The sixties were a long time ago, don't think I could put up with constantly putting in new plugs. At least it's not a V6.

The 1960s were 12,000 mile intervals. Those plugs look like they could have gone twice the interval FWIW

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
I happen to look up recommended maintenance items on the wife's Jetta.

Go figure 30k intervals on the spark plugs for the 1.4T.......

Either way, plugs came out like any other plugs i've pulled. No oil, nothing soaked. Bosch plugs out, Bosch plugs in. Here are two photos. Thoughts?

Incomplete info. Looks liek a facebook post.

This is not facebook.

1- What is the OM Book part number for the plug?

2- What is the gap spec on the plug? ( thinking 0.8mm on turbo )

3, 4 - What was the gap on the used plugs? And what was their P/N?

5, 6 What did you put back in (P/N) and, what did you gap them at?

Now we have some HELPFUL info.

More deposits than i would like to see.. Did someone wail on the engine for a few mins before taking the old plugs out?

Looks like Oil ash and some fuel adds.

Hope the turbo bearings are healthy.

Thanks for the post, BoT
smile.gif

- Ken

Originally Posted by edwardh1
my oem Japanese car plugs go maybe 70 to 100k.
whats with a 30 k change?

pushing the power of a 2.9L V6 out of a little 1.4L in a 1-1/2 tonne motorcar.

The megadollar Ruthenium finngernail plugs in my LOW POWER subaru FB20 PZEV requre replacing at 60K miles.

Did I change them? . NO. It was on its face, Moronic.

This practice is called, "Subaru throws a bone to the Dealer service network".

Like back when they were trying to
say you had to run Subaru Genuine Synthetic for warranty coverage. They got knocked back on their rumps on that one.

-Ken

Changing the plugs on my 2012 Versa is a nightmare. They're original with 72k on them. They're supposed to be good for 100k and that's where I'm taking them.

Volkswagen has always had these short intervals. I think they are there to drive business in their service departments. My old 1.8 turbo used iridium plugs as OE and they had a 40k interval. What you will see is the first plug change occur with the end of engine warranty using the owners manual/Service manual as a guide. Money generator.

Originally Posted by csandste

VW: Mechanics Wanted!

I don't think there's any winning here. If mfg's have aggressive service schedules, people complain about it; if they don't, people say they want the cars to be disposable.

Personally, I like the fact that they actually specify reasonable maintenance intervals. The flip side is that they make maintenance pretty easy if you're the DIY type. Plugs are accessible, there are drain and fill plugs for everything, the transmission has a real, serviceable filter. If you're looking for a gas and go car for 100K miles, there are definitely better options. For some folks, that's not the main priority.

I'd rather have a real maintenance schedule than this "Lifetime Fluid" or "lifetime plugs" Crap! I applaud VW for being real! I've pulled those fancy iridium plugs at 80K miles from [censored] cars and found them VERY worn and fuel mileage and a miss was both evident. But Honda and Yota say they are good for 100k miles! No thanks! I'll trust german engineering any day over [censored] or Korean...
wink.gif

Edit: I wasn't using any bad words by the way, didn't know "J.A.P" was a no-no on here...
smile.gif

Last edited:
My A4 has 40k on the plugs. Winter got in the way and I pushed it out to 50k and they looked fine and gap measured fine. Replaced anyway as I already had one out, the plugs were one hand and very easy to do.

these LONGTIME services are to sell more cars IMO + those who believe it can have costlier repairs in the future. the simple spark plug can look good but be optimal. easy DIY plug changes can add gas mileage paying for itself, dealer pricing is of course $$$. i change my copper plugs every 10 thou in my not stock 2001 TT 1.8t. less than a tenner for 4 plugs!!!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
But Honda and Yota say they are good for 100k miles! No thanks! I'll trust german engineering any day over [censored] or Korean...
wink.gif

My Honda's for 19 years now go 100k easily on the plugs, and run fine once I change them. As they say around here, YMMV.

Nice J-blast, BTW...........
confused2.gif

Back