Image Quality of Uploaded Photos

Not sure if this thread should be here or in a different section, please feel free to move...

I have seen several threads lately where the poster has uploaded photos using the board's software and the image quality is excellent. This is one example:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...e-head-gasket-on-my-2012-ct200h-tomorrow

Here are some threads that I have posted recently and the image quality seems to be drastically reduced from the original photo:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...walt-dxcm251-25-gal-oiled-air-compressor
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ck-headlight-clearcoat-rupes-uno-protect

Any idea on what is happening? I am using an iPhone 11 Pro Max and I simply upload the photos directly onto the webpage (from my phone).

Thank you.

The board seems to "resize" the photo (which decreases sharpness) depending on it's original size when uploaded. I don't think the board will allow a 5 GB photo remain 5 GB when uploaded.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The board seems to "resize" the photo (which decreases sharpness) depending on it's original size when uploaded. I don't think the board will allow a 5 GB photo remain 5 GB when uploaded.

Makes sense. Does anyone know the "optimal size" of an uploaded photo so that it would not be subjected to an automatic resize?

Try 768x512 max.

EDIT: Nope, nevermind. Even that still gets further compressed. This is one reason why I use an external image hosting provider.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Try 768x512 max.

EDIT: Nope, nevermind. Even that still gets further compressed. This is one reason why I use an external image hosting provider.

Looks like the photos in the HG thread are at 1024x768. My photos were being resized to 576X768.

Strange thing I noticed: when I upload images from my PC, they get downsized to 768 (longer side), but when I upload from my phone, they get downsized to 1024.

[Linked Image]

Test

Resized this one to 1080x1080 prior to uploading from my phone:

edit: still looks lousy. It appears the software shrunk the photo to 768X768.

C2A0E01C-99AC-4B85-9540-173E94F907A7.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, I see what's going on.

When you use the "Full Editor" and click on "Picture Uploader", it ends up resizing down to 768.

But when you use the "Quick Reply" box below the thread and click the little "up arrow" icon, then it resizes it to 1024.

The compression level is still pretty high, regardless of pixel resolution.

Same photo, top one is using the image upload tool under "Full Editor", the 2nd one is using the "upload inline images" in the editor.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Same photo, top one is using the image upload tool under "Full Editor", the 2nd one is using the "upload inline images" in the editor.

Did you manually re-size both photos before uploading?

Testing the in-line upload tool. Photo was not resized prior to uploading.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Did you manually re-size both photos before uploading?

Neither of them, both were uploaded "as is", image is 2.6MB, 2048x1536.

Originally Posted by wwillson
I found a problem and fixed it - you should see normal quality pictures now

Thanks!

I'll compare a picture uploaded on Imgur, then the BITOG upload to see if anyone notices much of a difference.

Picture taken with my iPhone 11. Uploading from my iPad Pro, Imgur says image was 7.7mb.

Edit: They both compress the photo, BITOG compresses more. On the original picture on my iPad, I can clearly read the Genesis emblem on the front. The Imgur upload is quite clear, but still blurry. BITOG upload is unreadable.

Not complaining, looks good enough, definitely gets the job done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image]

It cost to host images and the larger the file, the higher it cost. Larger files for pics are generally better quality.
Random bad pic of my wife

[Linked Image]

Back