Tire prices in the future?

I'm about 1+yr. off from needing (more like wanting) new tires on our 2017 Nissan Rogue Sport. OEM tires are Falken Sincera SN250's. Decent but nothing special IMO. Would like to get a set of Yokohama Ascend LX's or a set of Michelin's. How do you see tire prices in the future? Just curious....Thanks for any and all replies.

In the interim, watch for sales and rebates on random overstocks. With people driving less, there'll be a bunch too many of some particular size and model in the pipeline.

Just got a pair of 185/65r15s for $32 ea through random luck.

You can always buy and store, and mount later.

My guess is that everything will go up because of all the new virus money outlays. The government is printing money as fast as they can, so each dollar in your pocket is worth less. And that folks is the main reason we have INFLATION. Ed

I'd bet they will slowly go up like everything else. I bought my Michelins in 2015 for $120/pc. They are now $129. So less than 2% per yr increase.

Bridgestone/Firestone went up 7% as of April 13 through our wholesaler. This was after Cooper and Prielli increases earlier this month. It will take a lot of this for a long time to push manufactures to drop prices.

I was just looking for bike tires online for my kids bikes and for some reason they are expensive even direct from China. Maybe there is some sort bottle neck there from the pandemic? That said, I would think most of the all season/summer tires would be here already from Asia, and there will be less demand due to lots of people driving less, so I think at some point before you need tires you'll find a sale.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why would we ask such a question?

Just wants to see what's in the crystal ball. I think some tire manufacturers have shut down so it's hard to say. Same with car manufacturers. I guess it will depend on how supply and demand line up once things start up again. If the costs to all the tire manufacturers go up due to compliance reasons, I guess they'd all feel comfortable raising their prices.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
I was just looking for bike tires online for my kids bikes and for some reason they are expensive even direct from China. Maybe there is some sort bottle neck there from the pandemic?

China was on lock down so not much was moving out of the country. They've kinda started back up again so stuff should be flowing soon, just takes a while to come from the boat.

My prediction prices will go up as dollar loses value.
I'd look for sales or negotiate one within next month or two.

I already see consumables going up in prices.

Are tires made from natural rubber anymore? I remember some discussion around 7 years ago that there was a shortage of natural rubber, which resulted in a price spike with tires. It was also mentioned the rubber producing areas (Indochina) were planting more trees to meet the market needs. I'm curious where we stand on this.

Some tire manufacturers are definitely open. Not sure about all of them but I am aware that some are. The rubber is synthetic and Michelin has a rubber plant about 30 minutes from me. They are considered essential to keep car repair shops open.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why would we ask such a question?

I would be curious with oil prices as low as they are, tire manufacturers could pass on some savings to us. But now that I type that aloud, it seems absurd that they would do that.

I think that we may have short term deflation and then watch out for prices going up within six months. I say buy the tires now, then go sign up for an autocross event, your tires will last three runs!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Are tires made from natural rubber anymore? ……

Decidedly, Yes!!

Further, the technology has progressed to the point where natural rubber and synthetic rubber can be interchanged (up to a point) depending on the price of each.

In other words, the price of tires is tied to the price of oil AND natural rubber.

- EXCEPT -

The law of supply and demand trumps everything. (Bad pun!!)

Back