6 or 12 Month OCI Castrol Edge <5k Miles?

I keep checking prices on oils like I want to build up another stash but it seems a little OCD. I have fresh Castrol Edge 0w20 in my car and I only drive it up to 5k miles a year in East TN, USA. I'm thinking I'll just run the oil for the whole year until April 2021 instead of draining it this fall and throwing away oil that still has time and miles left on it. I tried to search this subject but so far was unable to get results. It seems as though I've asked about this here before.

I have old UOA's with Delo SAE30 on my trail Jeep that were fine over 2-3 years - and that was probably a couple hundred miles of trail time (if that) and extended idle time.

My wife's SXL and daughter's 200 both have Edge 5W30 currently, and I'm running multiple oil life sessions in each and will probably change this Fall.

I think you're good for waiting until April 2021.

mr_luke, what you propose is what i did in a 2004 toyota corolla and in a 2006 toyota highlander, both used base models: mobil one 10w30 for an annual oci, never put more than suburban 10k miles on either, both ran like a charm. sold the corolla when my elderly mom could no longer drive the highlander, which then passed to my sister, who happily does same oci.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
I'm thinking I'll just run the oil for the whole year until April 2021 instead of draining it this fall and throwing away oil that still has time and miles left on it.

If that's what you want to do, do that. It will be perfectly fine. You'll never get a straight answer for any question. People will come up with all sorts of "what if" scenarios, "I heard" stories, and FUD. It's crazy to suggest that a full synthetic oil needs change every 6 months and/or 2500k miles no matter the driving conditions, climate, and so on.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

If that's what you want to do, do that. It will be perfectly fine. You'll never get a straight answer for any question. People will come up with all sorts of "what if" scenarios, "I heard" stories, and FUD. It's crazy to suggest that a full synthetic oil needs change every 6 months and/or 2500k miles no matter the driving conditions, climate, and so on.

I agree. Sometimes I make unnecessary work for myself, as well as extra cost.
I should stop obsessing over the prices of oils. I currently have enough Castrol Edge to last me until April 2023.
I'm 3 years away from needing to buy any more oil.
smile.gif

I change oil once a year. The 4Runner averages 5-6k miles a year. The Ranger about half that and the F150 about half that of the Ranger (go to the "dump truck"). I haven't changed the B2500 since 2016 (about 200 miles). I'm going to go 2 years on the F150 and possibly the Ranger. All with synthetics I'm not worried but they all get to temp when operated.
5k miles/1 year on your vehicle is no sweat with synthetic oil.

I'm a 2x year oci guy.. that will cover anyone doing 5, 7500, 10 & 15k driving. Regardless of 5k I would still change out 2x year. Cheap insurance

I do 6 month OCI and never worry about mileage. Sometimes it is 3k sometimes it is 5k. Reason I do this is my vehicle will get going most days of 8 miles under 45 mph. I just changed the oil yesterday and today had to go to town and get blocks, soil and plants which had a total weight of 1200 lbs in my Grand Caravan then setting cruise at 70 for 10 miles. At six month interval it gives me the opportunity to check battery, and overall vehicle out. I just got finished cleaning today when mother came over stating that she needed blocks picked up
Overkill probably but I always try to catch a problem before it breaks. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 on sale for 13.00 5 qts. used on last oil change. Change at what makes you comfortable but I am a 6 month OCI.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I do 6 month OCI and never worry about mileage. Sometimes it is 3k sometimes it is 5k. Reason I do this is my vehicle will get going most days of 8 miles under 45 mph. I just changed the oil yesterday and today had to go to town and get blocks, soil and plants which had a total weight of 1200 lbs in my Grand Caravan then setting cruise at 70 for 10 miles. At six month interval it gives me the opportunity to check battery, and overall vehicle out. I just got finished cleaning today when mother came over stating that she needed blocks picked up
Overkill probably but I always try to catch a problem before it breaks. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 on sale for 13.00 5 qts. used on last oil change. Change at what makes you comfortable but I am a 6 month OCI.

I like and second this logic

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
I'm thinking I'll just run the oil for the whole year until April 2021 instead of draining it this fall and throwing away oil that still has time and miles left on it.

If that's what you want to do, do that. It will be perfectly fine..............It's crazy to suggest that a full synthetic oil needs change every 6 months and/or 2500k miles no matter the driving conditions, climate, and so on.

Agree 100%.... most people change their oil way, way too often....

- - and synthetic oil almost always gets dumped LONG before it's due.....

Originally Posted by Linctex

Agree 100%.... most people change their oil way, way too often....

- - and synthetic oil almost always gets dumped LONG before it's due.....

Good point. 6 month OCIs are fine with other oils, but FS is another story and I believe I'm going to run it for a year now and quit obsessing over it for a change.
At my recent OCI I drained out the Conoco Phillips FS 0w20 and it was probably fine for about 9 more months, but after acquiring the Prius on Jan 8, 2020 I wanted to put in my own Castrol Edge so I did and now I know for fact what oil it has in it. So now it's time to run it for a year and get my money's worth out of it. I can guarantee the UOA from it after 1 year <5k miles will be impressive. I'm thinking I'll do a UOA after 1 year when I change the oil, just to prove to me that it's fine to run FS for one year in my own application.

Back