Buying a New Compact Tractor, Leftover 19?

So I am looking at John Deere 1025r with a loader and backhoe, there is a 2019 leftover at the dealer for $19,100 which seems like a good price, It is almost a year old, it is 11 months old. It has been sitting outside alot as this dealer does not keep inventory under cover, but it is in good condition. Ive tried to get the dealer to come down on price, they wont budge, they are the lowest in the area.

The warranty is the same, it has no hours on it of course. The thing that gets me is when you buy something a year old they act like its new, which it is, but its not because when you go to trade it in its a year older.

I dont know if its worth saving some money and getting the 2019 or getting a 2020.

Im just curious if there are disadvantages I am not thinking of.

Try to get the best price you can, what is the price on a new one? What sounds silly is with out a really good price the one year old model has less resale value though John Deere has a great resale value as compared to others.My neighbor has one that is about 15 years old .They grease it and change all the fluids as recommended and it is a nice piece of equipment. Be sure it will work for the intended use.. They bought a new tractor because the tires weren't big enough for field use .

With tractors, the hours and how it's maintained are what matters, not the year model. If it's the best price in your area and you want it, buy it, the year model won't matter a whit in 10 years.

Originally Posted by gman2304
With tractors, the hours and how it's maintained are what matters, not the year model. If it's the best price in your area and you want it, buy it, the year model won't matter a whit in 10 years.

+1

Does it have to be a JD? How do the Japanese, Korean, Indian stack up? I know zero about tractors but you see Kubotas everywhere and even More Mahindras.

That's a very good price for that tractor. But if that is the one with the dual seats and you plan on trailering it around, watch out. They extended the backhoe quite a bit from the old flip around style seat and the tractor gets hung up easily when attempting to load it onto a trailer.

If you are concerned about age (I wouldn't be), you can easily pick up a new Kubota BX23S for around $18K with loader, backhoe, and one other implement usually.

Also, with 5 acres to care for, is a 1 series going to be enough tractor for you?

It's my understanding with tractors that the year is when they were assembled at the dealer and not when they were manufactured. What's this vs a 2020?

What part of Indiana are you? Lots of JD dealers on the northern side of the state.

I would shop around at other dealers too. Possibly consider the 3025E too. It may also be faster moving so you'll get a fresher model. If you're not set on JD, perhaps check out other brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Does it have to be a JD? How do the Japanese, Korean, Indian stack up? I know zero about tractors but you see Kubotas everywhere and even More Mahindras.

Mahindra around here is priced similar to Kubota. Also, a member here reported they have unique oil filters that either can't be or was difficult to cross reference.. and they're around $40. Just going by what I've read and have no experience with Mahinda aside from test driving a Roxor Jeep thing.

Mahindras are made in India. Nothing wrong with that, but they are made to a price point. Every person I know that owns one always says "It's a great tractor... but.." and the 'but' usually has to do with warranty work issues or service. Kubotas are great machines but they are very fond of their reputation from a price perspective, and some parts can be hard to get and have to ship from Japan. John Deere has been the easiest to deal with in my experience. Similar in price or in many cases cheaper than a Kubota, and the dealer network is unmatched. You can pretty much get parts for them anywhere. I've gone to dealers to fix 1970's tractors for customers hoping they would just have a part number they could order and they had the part I needed in stock.

As far as it sitting for a year, you won't get much off the price. Many tractors especially larger ones will sit on dealer lots for long periods of time. They are considered new because of the very low hours of use on them. Anything larger and more expensive than a simple lawn tractor has a much smaller market, especially in a time like this.

The little JD's are japanese, korean, or maybe even indian now anyways. The small mahindra's are japanese now I believe too. Only of the main brands in N.A. only Kubota and Kioti make there own small tractors, maybe LS too. I ended up with a Kioti DK40SE HST (Daedong in Korea) back in 2011 and haven't regretted it, but the brands and models excel at different jobs. A tractor for dirt work needs to be heavy, and one for mowing is better if its light, some have 3 range HST's, some 2 ranges, what speeds is high range good for? Some can't pull high range except on the road, for 5 acres I guess low range will probably be fast enough? But mowing for a couple hours at 2.8 mph instead of 4 mph because high range is too high can get old fast. Mid range gets used the most on my tractor, low is for heavy dirt work, and high is for the road. Mid is for mowing, snow plowing, going to the other side of the property, and easy loader work like spreading gravel or moving round bales.
Anyways tractorbynet is good place to read and research, there are ideal tractors for each situation and use, but also the quality of the local dealers can make or break a deal for some people as well.

The most important reason to buy a John Deere is the parts availability now and years down the road.I had a John Deere as well as a Kioti.

The most important reason to buy a John Deere is the parts availability now and years down the road.I had a John Deere as well as a Kioti.
Originally Posted by IndyIan

The little JD's are japanese, korean, or maybe even indian now anyways. The small mahindra's are japanese now I believe too. Only of the main brands in N.A. only Kubota and Kioti make there own small tractors, maybe LS too. I ended up with a Kioti DK40SE HST (Daedong in Korea) back in 2011 and haven't regretted it, but the brands and models excel at different jobs. A tractor for dirt work needs to be heavy, and one for mowing is better if its light, some have 3 range HST's, some 2 ranges, what speeds is high range good for? Some can't pull high range except on the road, for 5 acres I guess low range will probably be fast enough? But mowing for a couple hours at 2.8 mph instead of 4 mph because high range is too high can get old fast. Mid range gets used the most on my tractor, low is for heavy dirt work, and high is for the road. Mid is for mowing, snow plowing, going to the other side of the property, and easy loader work like spreading gravel or moving round bales.
Anyways tractorbynet is good place to read and research, there are ideal tractors for each situation and use, but also the quality of the local dealers can make or break a deal for some people as well.

I have a DK 45 manual shift and they are great tractors and probably the best from Korea.

Originally Posted by CT8

I have a DK 45 manual shift and they are great tractors and probably the best from Korea.

I don't like Deere because they are so lightweight, and I just can't stand to see "Made in China" in so MANY places when the green paint is so expensive...

I'd definitely buy Korean if you can. My Branson is Made in Korea by Kukje Machinery Co. and has a Genuine Cummins A1700-N2 engine in it.
My Mahindra 4110 is not made in India, it is actually made by TYM of south Korea.... ironically, these two companies have now merged.

Kioti (and Bobcat) are Daedong of South Korea, and In My Humble Opinion, is a better made tractor than the newer stuff (overpriced chinese?) from Deere & Co.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by CT8

I don't like Deere because they are so lightweight, and I just can't stand to see "Made in China" in so MANY places when the green paint is so expensive...

I'd definitely buy Korean if you can. My Branson is Made in Korea by Kukje Machinery Co. and has a Genuine Cummins A1700-N2 engine in it.
My Mahindra 4110 is not made in India, it is actually made by TYM of south Korea.... ironically, these two companies have now merged.

Kioti (and Bobcat) are Daedong of South Korea, and In My Humble Opinion, is a better made tractor than the newer stuff (overpriced chinese?) from Deere & Co.

I was definitely disappointed seeing so much chyna, india, and Mexico made parts on the john deere. The unit is assembled in Augusta Georgia.

There are no kioti or mahindra dealers near me, nearest is 2 hours away. (Everything is at least an hour away here
...)

For local dealers I have the choices of Deere, Kubota, and simplicity. Simplicity is a no go because the dealer is horrendous.

I thought about going out to get it another brand, but I've done that before and it's no fun driving 4 hours round trip to drop a machine off for warranty repair or to get a part you need.

I like the kubota, but I like the deere better.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
That's a very good price for that tractor. But if that is the one with the dual seats and you plan on trailering it around, watch out. They extended the backhoe quite a bit from the old flip around style seat and the tractor gets hung up easily when attempting to load it onto a trailer.

If you are concerned about age (I wouldn't be), you can easily pick up a new Kubota BX23S for around $18K with loader, backhoe, and one other implement usually.

Also, with 5 acres to care for, is a 1 series going to be enough tractor for you?

We looked at the 2 series tractors and felt it would be too big. I know some say you cant go too big but our property is mostly grass and the main thing I will use this for is driveway grading, ripping up the garden, pulling a 1000 lbs lawn roller, and digging trenches.

I also dont want something heavier because of potential damage to our yard.....I also have a private bridge I will be

We are actually not going to use it to mow, I have a ztrak for that and cant go back to using a tractor to mow.

I do like the kubotas, I went back and forth, I like the deere a bit better though.

Then get a green one, do some research to make sure that model doesn't have any serious problems and enjoy! What's JD 's smallest tractor available with good size turf tires on the front? That's one way to go up a size with a light footprint on the lawn but they aren't good in the mud I read. I went with Ag tires and with a load of dirt in bucket, the fronts leave their mark everywhere but I haven't got stuck yet either! Also if you've got hills, typically industrial tires don't have width adjustments on the rims, and turf and Ag rims do. I have my tractor set wide and its the only way to use it on the hills at my place, but if your place is flat, having a narrow tractor isn't a bad thing,

My Kioti CK30, HST, is an '08 and never had a single problem other than recent sticky ignition switch...solved with spray cleaner.
I used it mostly for mowing with light loader work now and then. Kubota seems to have a large network of dealers which is something to consider as well as the JD. Go with your gut....if you like it and think its big enough for your needs, buy it.

Whatever you get, I'd get industrial R4 tires. All around tougher tire and will be easier on the grass than ag R1's, but give you plenty of traction for the BH and FEL work.

I know Kubota has an R14 tire now. Somewhat goofy looking, but is a cross between an ag and a turf tire. I imagine JD could get them too.

01701149-9238-4169-AA03-211D676609C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back