oil viscosity chart?

Is there any where that has actual oil viscosity, as in cst@40 and @100, comparing different company's and grades? some what like i have seen on fork oil. I put this here but it actually could include all oils even industrial. Like one I tried to find was amsoil SS 10-30.

I imagine you are looking for something like this. I put this together for some Shell affiliated oils. I haven't seen a comprehensive list.

A5183CB0-6148-424E-80F5-51A90ECDF976.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I imagine you are looking for something like this. I put this together for some Shell affiliated oils. I haven't seen a comprehensive list.

Yes, I am surprised there hasn't been a comparison made up like this for each of the oil brands. Quite a difference in viscosity from the PP D1/G2 to a Shell Rotella. Would be interesting to see a spreadsheet like this, for each grade of oil, with viscosities, & additive pack differences between competitors.

Originally Posted by cdlamb

Yes, I am surprised there hasn't been a comparison made up like this for each of the oil brands. Quite a difference in viscosity from the PP D1/G2 to a Shell Rotella. Would be interesting to see a spreadsheet like this, for each grade of oil, with viscosities, & additive pack differences between competitors.

And a good opportunity for you to become familiar with Excel.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Xcbullet
Is there any where that has actual oil viscosity, as in cst@40 and @100, comparing different company's and grades? some what like i have seen on fork oil. I put this here but it actually could include all oils even industrial. Like one I tried to find was amsoil SS 10-30.

If you want the latest up to date info, pretty much every major oil brand KV40 and KV100 data can be found on the manufacture's website.

Yes, it would be a good Excel spreadsheet project for someone to build-up showing all the major brands and viscosity.

As far as Amsoil SS oils ... all the technical data is on Amsoil's website ... just need to search a little more.

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

How would knowing the KV help someone? It's a fairly irrelevant viscosity. What matter are the HTHS and VI. While the VI is usually published (or could easily be calculated from the KV), the HTHS is seldom published. What also matters is the base-oil viscosity, for which I have developed a calculator to estimate if both the KV and HTHS are available. The KV hardly matters, except for the oil leaks.

Thanks everyone

I find I need to mix to get what I want sometimes. So once I know what works then ad and divide and find something in that range. Did this with fork oil and I,m working on whats best for primary chain case with clutch now. I have come up with 7 good choices with this method from the help above. Would like to find one with the smalest gap between KV40 and KV100 in the range that worked best fo me so far. That being amsoil ATF and amsoil Primary. I have a list of 17 I tried to post. One I want to try is Cat tdto sae 30.

The HTHS is a good point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Xcbullet
Thanks everyone

I find I need to mix to get what I want sometimes. So once I know what works then ad and divide and find something in that range. Did this with fork oil and I,m working on whats best for primary chain case with clutch now. I have come up with 7 good choices with this method from the help above. Would like to find one with the smalest gap between KV40 and KV100 in the range that worked best fo me so far. That being amsoil ATF and amsoil Primary. I have a list of 17 I tried to post. One I want to try is Cat tdto sae 30.

The HTHS is a good point.

For mixing viscosities, you need to use the Arrhenius equation or a more complicated formula.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

You can also use the Widman viscosity-mixing calculator, which employs this formula with some small unknown deviance. There are also more complicated formulas, which may be needed when mixing two dissimilar oils (such as dino and PAO).

Back