Cheapest route to a high performance car?

I'm talking something that will go and stop like a race car. Back in my day it was a early Fox body Mustang due to the short wheelbase and huge aftermarket for suspension, brakes, and Small Block Ford parts. Is that still the case?

Well there's the AMG line. Some like the E55 AMG as you can do things to it more easily than the E63. Now it's basically tuning.

For pure 0-60 speeds, it's probably hard to find much that can beat a Tesla.

What do you consider a "race car"?

Any car can be raced, some are just better (better acceleration, handling, braking, fun to drive) than others.

If a fox body mustang is what you want, then that's what you should get.

There are faster cars, and there are slower cars. Buy whatever satisfies the urge, I say.

Fox bodies have terrible handling.

I would say maybe a factory 5 kit.

Buy one from some guy who got stared and couldn't finish.

Otherwise an older lotus or Caterham or Vette.

On the other hand the best handling 1+1/2 tonne street car I've driven was a 90's Datsun 300ZX

That would be under 7 grand for a nice example.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I'm talking something that will go and stop like a race car. Back in my day it was a early Fox body Mustang due to the short wheelbase and huge aftermarket for suspension, brakes, and Small Block Ford parts. Is that still the case?

It is still the case. Just move to the 2005 and up Mustang, 3 valve V-8. Absolutely a ton of parts available. 15 years old now, so cheap. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. 13.6 quarter mile - stock

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2005/2005-ford-mustang-gt/

Last edited:
Probably the closest is a C5 Corvette. For all it's shortcomings, it's still capable of turning great lap times. One need only use good tires, have a good alignment and the right brake pads. Making a fox body Mustang beat that is more expensive than an old C5's purchase price. However, they are rather numb, not really lively, and don't have the super fun on the street "feel" of a well tuned BMW E36.

The newer Ecoboost Mustangs can be found for reasonable prices too, and they "tune" very well and will run 12's with very little work.

However, after all is said and done, a turbocharged Miata, done correctly, is amazingly hard to beat. High 11's in the 1/4, 165mph, and more fun than anything short of a dedicated track car.

My old turbo Miata's engine bay.

[Linked Image from cujet.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Fox bodies have terrible handling.

I would say maybe a factory 5 kit.

Maybe stock but the the Fox platform has huge support. Dial in a MM kit and he's good.
My best friend is building a FF Daytona. $70K when he's done. Not exactly cheap to compete.

I'm working with my dealer now on a '16 Mustang GT with 10K miles for $24K. It's a freakn' awesome deal. I don't "need" it but am working the numbers.
Take advantage of the virus market if you can.

Mustangs just don't satisfy in the end.

Had many of them.

All those ponys are massive draught horses now.

Bmw M roadster satisfy as a sports car.

Originally Posted by Zaedock

I'm working with my dealer now on a '16 Mustang GT with 10K miles for $24K. It's a freakn' awesome deal. I don't "need" it but am working the numbers.
Take advantage of the virus market if you can.

I just saw this one. Carfax looks clean.

But how about the Exploding Chinese manual transmission. I drove a Camaro with one of those a couple years ago - it was terrible. I couldn't even do a easy 1-2 shift. Brand new car.

2016 GT for sale in Massachusetts

My buddy autocrosses a nice mtx notchback 5.0, stock with some urethane bushings, moderate lowering springs, and moderately sticky tires. He doesn't win with it but its a nice fun car. Another guy has a turbo miata set up as a barely street legal track car and its a beast in every way, even with anti-lag! Fun but he has a bit of money in it too.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
What do you plan on doing with it? Autocross, rallycross, road rally type things, drag racing?

^This ... without knowing the main purpose of the car, the suggestions will be all over the map.

Back