What's the proper oil for a push mower

I just purchased a Toro Recycler with a B&S engine . It came with a quart of Toro branded 30W oil .

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Toro mounted Briggs and Stratton engines have vacillated. My father's old beater mower he bought in the mid 1990's preferred 10W-30 but said you could use SAE30. But his Toro 22" Recycler from around 2010 only says detergent SAE30 SF-or newer. I did use 10W-40 in it and noticed it did burn some, but nothing major. I picked up some VWB SAE30 on clearance at TSC for it. I preferred using multi-weight oiis like 10W-30 just for ease of starting in colder months in spring and fall. But modern GII-III SAE30's seem to flow as well as older 10W-30s with a pour point at -27C.....

If the grass is growing and needs mowing, pour point is not an issue for a lawn mower, unless you mow in January.

Last edited:
in push mowers with a briggs, i've always used anything 30wt. after the original fill, i usually just use 5 or 10w-30 and have never had a problem.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I like 5w30 synthetic in pull start
10w30 Delo or 15w40 Delvac in rider

Why the blends and higher weights in riders? Are you noticing more burning from synthetic 5W-30?

The 40 is not necessary but many commercial lawn services do this in the hot south … was using Delo 10w30, but with just two quarts left, decided that's on hold for my boat.
Had a partial jug of the Delvac leftover … so changed, ran, drained, filled again to not mix oils …
(left filter on).
As for a seat of the pants dino test … mowed yesterday and it ran great …

10w30 if I have some on hand. Otherwise 5w30. Change it once a year, I have 1 B&S engine that is now 16 years old, starts right up and runs great everytime. 1 Kohler that is 3 years old and is doing just fine.

I tap out the air filter a few times a year to get all of the junk out. During winter I usually start it once or twice just to move some fuel through the carb.

I retired my Toro Recycler 20007 (2004) this AM, sold to a landscaper. The transmission bearings went and I just didn't want to go through the time of changing them again as it has other issues.

I bought the new equivalent, the Recycler 20378. Kohler engine and everything else looks similar.

Was glad to see that the new OM lists 10W-30 or 30W. I don't run it below 50F and as my previous Recycler didn't consume 30W, I'll continue using it in the new mower.

I think about any oil would work in there. The Best choice would be a 30HD oil such as Supertech. I've used 10w30/ 10w40/ 20/50/ 30HD and 15w40 truck oil with no problems.

Almost anything with the word "Oil" on the label
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by bchannell
Almost anything with the word "Oil" on the label
banana2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Back