Did I made a mistake?

In the end if you like the house you bought that should be enough! The gas vs. oil argument will NEVER have a winner as their are pros and cons to both. Enjoy your new home!!

Originally Posted by JohnG
...until you discover that half your pans no longer actually get hot.

Mostly correct. Aluminum pans won't work unless they have a steel disc molded in which is not very common. Copper bottom pots, like Revereware (remember those) won't work either. They are collectors items today anyway.
BUT, most stainless, and ALL steel pans will work. Anything that is magnetic will work just fine. I just use my coated aluminum pans on the side burner of my grill, no big deal.

Induction puts all other cooking methods, even gas, to shame. Much safer, cleaner, faster, easier to control.

No, you are not paying attention: it would NOT run without power! (I think the oil feed had a pump.)

You actually didn't specify that this particular furnace was converted to oil. You did mention "gas or oil".

One more time...I have NEVER, not one single time, seen a furnace, not one single furnace, that would run with no electrical power. Exactly zero.

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
I forgot to mention cooking on an electric stove is terrible! I have gotten used to it, but there is a reason they say "Now were cooking with gas!"

I set an electric stove on fire while browning taco meat once
shocked2.gif

One more time...I have NEVER, not one single time, seen a furnace, not one single furnace, that would run with no electrical power. Exactly zero.

OK, OK, I give! So "electrical power " includes 12V used car batteries. Understood. But I WAS paying attention.
crazy2.gif

Depends on your area, but your real estate agent is usually right on these answers.

In my area for the same heat amount, electric is 5 times more expensive than gas. For the small amount of overhead that gas charges it make sense to use gas. The only reason I would use electric over gas is if there is a concern on CO poisoning or ventilation. If you have any doubt that gas vent is not working right in your house's layout then electric (i.e. dryer inside residential area instead of a vented garage). Gas cooking is also a lot more convenient than electric, if you use nonstick aluminum cookware. My wife can't handle the weight of stainless or cast iron, so we are happy to stay with gas stove, electric dryer, and gas water heater. Water heater has to be heat pump if you don't go gas or you'll go broke keeping the water hot.

Power companies charge a monthly service fee regardless of the usage . Usually not much but it's still there .

Back