Prove My Point

I know many hate these thoughts, but many know they are right:

1. Usually you are better off with OEM parts

2. Usually a longer OCI will cause trouble "down the road."

Deep down, we know these truths but we just try our best to rationalize in our attempt to "save" money.
We argue and try to convince ourselves and each other why we believe an oil will last a year, an aftermarket
part is just as good as an OEM, greater particle filtration is always superior, a "one size fits all" antifreeze/fluid is better
because we used it for 1 year and saw nothing bad happen, etc.

Deep down, we all know what's best and don't really need to prove anything. We really know the truth, don't we?

Originally Posted by Gebo

Not sure how you could prove it, one way or the other.

Also, define "longer." Longer than 3-months/3k miles?

I think "longer" is too nebulous...

Some cars, for example, my MB, are designed with long drain intervals and specify a particular oil to match that OCI. 10,000 miles on Mobil 1 0W40, and the results of the UOA are excellent and the engine is spotless under the valve covers, so that "longer" OCI is working just fine...

But I completely agree that you can't go wrong with OEM. I've had too many aftermarket parts disappoint...

My opinion/experience is that the quality of parts varies greatly, OEM or not. Generally OEM is better but not necessarily and the quality of all parts is decreasing.

Hard to define longer OCI's but I change oil less often than most would attest to on the board, and I have never had an engine problem I thought was related to the OCI.

How far down is down the road?

Will using a better oil and filter and shorter OCI make a difference eventually? Probably but when is that? 200k miles for 400k miles?

Deep down, we know these truths but we just try our best to rationalize in our attempt to "save" money.
We argue and try to convince ourselves and each other why we believe an oil will last a year, an aftermarket
part is just as good as an OEM, greater particle filtration is always superior, a "one size fits all" antifreeze/fluid is better

Deep down, we all know what's best and don't really need to prove anything. We really know the truth, don't we?

OEM parts that come original is the best and OEM counter parts are definitely not the same production line.
Having said that if OEM original equipment parts last 120K, the OEM counter parts last 60K. So the original parts outlive OEM parts hands down.

OCI is a trickier and up for debate - although I stick to 10K synthetic OCI and reduce to 7.5K after 150K on the odometer.

Over years have realized monkeying in spark plugs, ATF and coolant departments is a foolish thing to do especially with newer vehicles that are designed as such!!

In my experience, quality parts are fine; OE (from the dealer) are fine as well and may be better in some cases.
An example is Toyota brake parts; in some cases, such as our GS 350 F Sport, even quality pads and rotors many times lead to squealing.
I have never seen or heard of another car doing this; any quality brake parts have fit properly and worked well.

We bought an Acura TSX new in late 2006; it now has just shy of 200K miles. I have serviced it regularly at 5K OCIs with mostly M1 5w30 and M1 or Wix filters.
The car is perfect; it does not burn a drop of oil. Insides are clean as a whistle.
I service 2 other 2007 TSXs, one with 90K and 1 with 120K.
The 90K car (sister bought new) was serviced regularly at quickie lubes (semi syn oils I believe) based on the minder. It burns a quart in 4K miles.
I am not as familiar with the other car's history (bought a year ago from MBZ dealer for a friend); I believe it had more dealer services. It is also not as good as our car with far more miles.

That's my experience.
Bottom line: use synthetic oils with a quality filter at 5K to 6K intervals. Your engine will reward you later on.

Last edited:
Generally agree with #1, though there are exceptions where OE parts have a flaw, or where it really doesn't much matter, because performance and design is truly equivalent (filters come to mind, tires, some suspension parts, some brake parts, etc). Don't really agree with #2, since there are so many considerations that go into it.

Deep down, we know these truths ............We really know the truth, don't we?

Usually? 51% of the time? 63.789% of the time? Nebulous statement is nebulous. 100% of the time I have replaced something on my 2019 truck, 100% I used something that is better than the OEM part.
Usually? There is that word again. Longer, properly extended change intervals CAUSE absolutely zero problems.

NOW on both. Prove it. YOU made the statements, not a theory you said TRUTH. Prove both statements.

It probably has something to do with personalities. Some people don't like to be told what to do, and OE is telling you what to do. Using self decided aftermarket parts means you are the chooser, you are in charge. Extending drains to what you think best is the same. I don't think people who always think they know better have hidden beliefs or regret in their decisions. They are the ones who come out and hammer down anyone who disagrees with them.
Other people are more compliant in their opinions and accept expertise of the large companies to have done what is needed to recommend parts and maintenance.

There are lots of cases where the OE part is simply too darn expensive which drives people to the other brands. In most cases, using recommended OCI's will not cause problems for the original owner, especially if the vehicle is on a typical lease period.

Last edited:

Respectfully, both of those are too broad and undefined with too many variables to address with any meaningful commentary. Could you maybe break them down a little bit?

It is getting harder to find quality aftermarket parts. The market is flooded with cheap copies of parts that are already failure prone. OEM's often improve parts over time.

Longer OCI's are absolutely not a good idea in some vehicles. GM, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, Honda, Toyota all have specific engines that are sensitive to oil quality, oil contamination, viscosity and dilution.

Last edited:
OEM parts are made by an aftermarket manufacturer.
All OEM fluids are made by an outside vendor, none of them make their own oil, coolant or ATF.
Wix, Fram, Purolator, Mahle, Champ, Mann+Hummel, and others make OEM filters.
Many actual OEM parts (brakes, pads, fuel pumps, etc) are outsourced to "aftermarket" manufacturers and available in the aftermarket for much less as "unbranded" but identical to OEM.
Aftermarket often comes up with a fix for an OEM flaw well before the OE does.
Quality aftermarket parts can be as good or better than OEM.
Heck, there are times that even though aftermarket may only last 1/2 as long as OE, being that aftermarket is 1/3 the price of OEM makes it a better option.

I do agree that when buying non-OE parts it is important to research who makes them and the quality of them, but a blanked "OEM is better" is absurd.

As others have said, you can't make a blanket statement about longer OCI causing issues.
Define longer.
Define issues.
Most vehicles will have other mechanical or physical issues (rust, accident) that will be the death of the vehicle before an oil related issue in a vehicle with regular oil changes with proper oil.
Yes there are a few engines that have been show to have issues with the "recommended" 7500-10,000 mile interval, but that is not a majority of vehicles.

The op sounds like the type of person who believe's whatever his dealer tells him. Lots of those people around, you know the type. never change their own oil, or even a tire for that matter. Just takes it to the dealer has the repair done, and leaves with a case of the warm and fuzzies. Never thinking that just about every mfgr buys parts from suppliers, who give them the best price. That's how they become OEM parts. Things like, tires,spark plugs, wiper blades, struts, bulbs, brake pads, rotors, starters, alternators, batteries, filters, oil trans, air and cabin, hoses, and electrical parts. And let's not forget, oil. If they are the best, why would you ever need to replace them? I know I'm not the only one who has had better luck with aftermarket parts in the quality and performance aspect, then I got with original factory OEM parts. Usually for a better purchase price to boot.,,

So Gebo when you did the timing belt in your LS400 you bought genuine Lexus branded parts?
Or did you buy the Aisin kit for 1/3 price and exact same parts?

I buy a majority of Genuine parts but some stuff is literally a Lexus name slapped on a part. In that case I buy OES like Denso, Aisin, NGK, etc

The Aisin kit for my LS400 said "Lexus" on the belt ...

Last edited:
I would say OEM for most sensors but the aftermarket has fixed some replacement parts that the OEMs never have. Really depends on the parts.

I would say oil change interval depends on the car. I would not hesitate to run the truck, Caprice or Trans Am to 7500 miles. (I don't and I won't), but the Malibu 2.0 Direct injected turbo, gets it every 4000 miles.

Who is "We?" Got a mouse in your pocket? Maybe a voice in your head?

Back