Would you choose...

Assuming similar quality work, etc...

Would you choose...

Dealer oil change TGMO syn, OEM filter for $65

Independent shop NAPA syn, NAPA filter for $50

2017 Corolla that's gets about 1500 miles per month. Oil changes every 9000-10000 miles.

If by Independent shop you mean a local mechanic and not a quick lube place, I would go with the independent. I never assume equal quality with any quick lube and many dealers are now leasing out space to quick lube changers. Even if I get a jr. mechanic trainee it is preferable to most of the guys in a quick lube.
As far as the oil and filter they are both fine but I would lean towards the NAPA, car manufacturers change suppliers too often, although toyota may be an exception.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Assuming similar quality work, etc...

Dealer oil change TGMO syn, OEM filter for $65

Independent shop NAPA syn, NAPA filter for $50

2017 Corolla.

Slap a $50 on that independent shop counter and then you have $15 for a burger and beer.

Ummmmmm......Burger & Beer....I'm feeling hungry... 🔠ðŸº

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Whichever will get me in and out the quickest.

This ^

Probably not a 'wrong' answer but I'd go by some measure of convenience per location or schedule that fits best.
I'm in and out of a 'dealership' in about 35 to 45 min.
Purchased 6 or more cars there and always get the dealer LOF plan when I buy there. I leave work at 640am, have set appt there at 7 and I'm leaving by 745 or before 8 am. My employer is 4 miles from my home and the dealer is just about on the way. I have to go east about 1.5 miles out of the way. Eight to 10 month oci at 5500 to 6000 miles for us on both cars.

grin.gif

Last edited:
Whichever place that has windows and you can watch.
shocked2.gif

our local Jiffy Lubes have a very knowledgeable workers and I trust them more than one of the local Toyota dealers. Couple other Toyota dealers are good but one is so bad I don't even buy parts and drive farther not to support them.

Option 3: Do it myself and then I know for certain that synthetic was actually used. Dealerships and lube shops have been caught using conventional when the customer pays for synthetic.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Option 3: Do it myself and then I know for certain that synthetic was actually used. Dealerships and lube shops have been caught using conventional when the customer pays for synthetic.

I did for my first 17 years of driving. Then life circumstances have me renting and the lease says no messy car repairs, in lawyer speak. Was hoping to buy a house in the next year, but now we'll see how all this weirdness turns out we're currently dealing with.

This.

Not to mention if you go for the quickest stop, means they're doing the quickest job. That usually equates to poor handling of what is supposed to be done, and screwups.

You think the "techs" there really care about if they screwed your oil filter too tight? Or tightened your oil drain bolt to 19939933884 ft lbs? No, their objective is to get as many cars in and out throughout the day.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Whichever place that has windows and you can watch.
shocked2.gif

our local Jiffy Lubes have a very knowledgeable workers and I trust them more than one of the local Toyota dealers. Couple other Toyota dealers are good but one is so bad I don't even buy parts and drive farther not to support them.

The VIOCs get good reviews around here. Took a car there once thinking they'd be cheaper but they were more expensive 🤷â€â™‚ï¸ My mistake. Their TV to watch from your car is equivalent to an old analog TV reception with rabbit ears that aren't adjusted correctly. And so dark you couldn't really see what he was doing. But I checked after and nothing was stripped or rounded off. They do show you the dipstick (I check on my own after anyway) before your drive off. I told them I didn't want their air filter checks or any fluids checked because I do they myself and don't want fluids mixed with what I use. But yeah, they were spendy. Way more without a vacuum or car wash included LOL

I did for my first 17 years of driving. Then life circumstances have me renting and the lease says no messy car repairs, in lawyer speak. Was hoping to buy a house in the next year, but now we'll see how all this weirdness turns out we're currently dealing with.

I would go for the DIY option. Install an Ultra so you can do 2 OCI and also put in a Fumoto drain valve. Every other oil change will be easy since you can just drain into a pan without removing the drain bolt . Simple open, drain and close the valve and pour the new oil in. Drain takes a bit longer, but at least you aren't using tools to do that oil change.

You don't have anybody in your town that you could do this at their house when needed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1

I would go for the DIY option. Install an Ultra so you can do 2 OCI and also put in a Fumoto drain valve. Every other oil change will be easy since you can just drain into a pan without removing the drain bolt . Simple open, drain and close the valve and pour the new oil in. Drain takes a bit longer, but at least you aren't using tools to do that oil change.

You don't have anybody in your town that you could do this at their house when needed?

Possibly. I just hate to trouble people with that 10% of time I actually need to use oil dry because the plug on top of my enclosed drain pan decides to close and I can't wiggle it back open while hot oil is draining all over my arm. Nobody I know works on cars and they all live in nice areas. So they don't understand the badge of honor that comes with a couple of oil stains in a garage or on a driveway. They do things like pressure wash their driveway so it's spotless. What fun is it to live such a pristine life?

What issues do the fumoto valves cause compared to a drain bolt? As in, what do they increase the risk of? Do they come loose? Leak? Or are they better than sliced bread? Are they easy to install? Does every car have a different size I assume? Do they send the right parts when you order?

I did for my first 17 years of driving. Then life circumstances have me renting and the lease says no messy car repairs.....

Nobody I know works on cars and they all live in nice areas.... They do things like pressure wash their driveway so it's spotless. What fun is it to live such a pristine life?

I hear you. Some people are fixers and some people are cleaners. I'd let you use my driveway, if we weren't at opposite sides of the globe.

Sounds like you check the work when it's done.
As others said, anyone can rush, make a mistake or be sloppy.

If it isn't leaking oil and you double check the stick for fill level = that nice new golden color, drive and enjoy.
I'm happy to not be doing that stuff anymore and thankfully, have not had one of those bad runs with a shady shop.
I can imagine how that would bite and ruin someone's trust.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Use whomever you trust the most. Check the vehicle over to make sure you get what you paid for before leaving the servicer's parking lot.

Fumoto valves are high quality, don't leak, make it a lot easier. You get a thin stream of oil instead of a gush.

Back