TGMO 0W-20 vs M1 AP/EP vs Pennzoil/Shell Platinum

Which would you guys pick? Yearly oil changes, car will see less than 8,000 miles a year. Toyota 4Runner

M1 AP/EP is getting hard to find and is expensive. Leaning towards Pennzoil Platinum to give a go. TGMO is TGMO and has good moly content for a nice purring quiet engine.

EDIT: I guess M1 AFE would be appropriate as well. Though it's ironic when you think about the vehicle it's going into. You guys will probably bash me, but no ST or Costco or Amazon oil at this time. I understand the certs, etc. But just a preference.

Last edited:
For yearly 8K, Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Advanced. $3 less gets you Quaker State Ultimate or Castrol Magnatec full syn. Another $3 less buys you Supertech. Money is tight for many right now. Thankfully, your Toyota is generally easy on oil and could withstand Supertech or NAPA syn for 8K.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
For yearly 8K, Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Advanced. $3 less gets you Quaker State Ultimate or Castrol Magnatec full syn. Another $3 less buys you Supertech. Money is tight for many right now. Thankfully, your Toyota is generally easy on oil and could withstand Supertech or NAPA syn for 8K.

Understood. Just that The SUV is just above 1300 miles, and I think it's time to dump the factory fill to get rid of all of the break-in metals. I ain't doing 10K on the factory fill with break-in metals. I know it's easy on oil, but it isn't my car, so I kinda want to give it something that will give the owner peace of mind as well.

Originally Posted by 4WD
AFE or PP can do that no sweat …

Bewtween AFE and PP, which would you pick? AFE gives off the impression of being a lighter 0W-20, sacrificing protection for more MPG for an SUV. While PP seems to be a bit heavier or just right. IDK, it's just perception from the marketing for me. It's a brand new 2020 car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
AFE or PP can do that no sweat …

Yeah, I sure ain't takin' 777's hot air.... er "nonsense/advice"

Well … I have run AFE in our Tahoe and it's got AP now.
My Z71 currently has AFE … Don't think it's going to matter which you run … both are high quality

Originally Posted by 4WD
Well … I have run AFE in our Tahoe and it's got AP now.
My Z71 currently has AFE … Don't think it's going to matter which you run … both are high quality

According to product spec sheets, AFE beats PP in Viscosity hot and cold and Density. Alrighty then I guess I got it figured out.

I have used all of those, Pennzoil Platinum has been my favorite. In my application, it has been the quietest and most cost effective option.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I have used all of those, Pennzoil Platinum has been my favorite. In my application, it has been the quietest and most cost effective option.

Thanks for the input. Edging towards it as well. Also checked Castrol 0W-20. Trying to buy something on Walmart to take advantage of the discounts. Ultra Platinum even worthwhile?

Last edited:
You really think it's going to make any difference which of these oils you use? You hardly drive it. Any oil that meets spec will get you to 200k miles and you'll have 25 years of happy motoring.

Originally Posted by Leo99
You really think it's going to make any difference which of these oils you use? You hardly drive it. Any oil that meets spec will get you to 200k miles and you'll have 25 years of happy motoring.

I know. Just trying to take care of the girlfriend's new car that takes short 7 mile one way trips, and back, daily for work. I know I'm overthinking it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BucDan
Originally Posted by Leo99

I know. Just trying to take care of the girlfriend's new car that takes short 7 mile one way trips, and back, daily for work. I know I'm overthinking it.

Not really. My daily does a lot of short trips. And i decided to do 3 month OCI's, regardless of miles.

I went with Mobil 1 EP. The cost difference between it and a "cheaper" oil that will probably do just as good is so minimal, that 7 or 8 bucks i spent more every 3 months is peace of mind.

I have run TGMO, PP and M1 AP 0W20, all 5,000 mile OCIs, in the Avalon Hybrid.

I notice no difference in them except that PP maybe a tad quieter than the others.

I will run the least expense and not give it a second thought.

I run AFE in my Silverado and the 2 UOA that I've done come back great. I also ran it in my wife's old 16 4Runner and it did fine (never did a UOA, but 10k runs never burnt a drop. I've been a fan of AFE for a while now, but I'm sure any modern 0W-20 would work the same.

I run the EP (and would run the AP) because it can typically be had on sale somewhere making it roughly the same price and it has a nice slug of PAO in the base oil blend, which the other options being discussed don't. Ergo, it's the most expensive of the oils to blend and all things being equal (which they of course seldom are) means a lower VII treat, fewer PPD's and better oxidation resistance.

Both of them are good for 4Runner.

Just buy whatever is on sale.

On my 2017 Sienna, I actually put dino for 2x 4K OCI before the stealership maintenance oil change between 9000-10000 miles.
It is still smooth at almost 53K miles now.

Back