Price Difference

I have noticed the Ruger Mini 14 in .223 is a lot more expensive than the AR family. Any thoughts?

The Ruger is harder to manufacture. Major parts are castings that require additional steps for finishing, plus Ruger doesn't enjoy the same economies of scale as the AR parts manufacturers.

BSW

I couldn't imagine the number of AR's built since 1962 or so not including the M16 series.

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
The Ruger is harder to manufacture. Major parts are castings that require additional steps for finishing, plus Ruger doesn't enjoy the same economies of scale as the AR parts manufacturers.

BSW

Exactly. Comparing the two platforms just because they're the same caliber, of course an AR is going to be less expensive.

Originally Posted by CT8
I couldn't imagine the number of AR's built since 1962 or so not including the M16 series.

I'm remembering a total number built of all the ARs as ~20 million*. A whole bunch of the civilian guns were built on tooling amortized on military contracts.

BSW

*As opposed to about 100 million AKs.

There is little difference between an AR and a M16 /M4 other that a fer parts and different machine work

Originally Posted by meadows
Which is a better piece of equipment?

Pretty much any AR is going to be cheaper and more accurate than an Mini 14, as well as being more reliable. Magazines are way cheaper and the Magpul mags are going to be more durable than the Mini's mags as well.

If it's just a performance/$ decision it's going to be very hard to justify an Mini 14.

BSW

It was not always so. When I bought my first AR in the late 70's Colts price was a bit over $500 and Ruger was selling the Mini for mid $300's. As the price of the AR went up so did the Mini but the AR was always more expensive untill the 3rd parties got into the AR platform and Colt got out. Thats went the the Mini started to pull ahead or maybe it was the AR falling behind in price. The Mini does not really require much to make, its a loose knock off of the M1 and can be fairly loosely put together and still function kinda like an AK. And it had a terrible reputation for accuracy up until the late 90's on par with ChiCom SKS's. I have not shot any new ones so I dont know what it takes to get them to group well, maybe just some modern fancy target ammo.

Originally Posted by meadows
Which is a better piece of equipment?

If you just want a handy .223 auto around the mini is pretty good. Beyond that I'd pass.

You should compare the Ruger AR 556 vs the Ruger Mini-14 in price. I have a Mini-14 and was looking hard at a Ruger AR 556. About 6 months ago you could get a AR 556 base for under $500, even $450, while the Mini-14 is still around $900. Recently the Ruger AR 556 has jumped on the street price due to demand, so it would be difficult to find one under about $625 . I still am looking for a AR 556 myself as a basic home-defense weapon- it is probably the least expensive AR-15 of any of the major manufacturers. You can get better guns for far more money, and probably cheaper guns where the quality stinks, but it seems the Ruger AR 556 is an overall great value.

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I have noticed the Ruger Mini 14 in .223 is a lot more expensive than the AR family. Any thoughts?

I have had a Mini-14 & at the time , I seem to remember it being a little cheaper than an AR ?

The AR typically is about twice as accurate , with the same ammo .

Shame , the Mini-14 is a light , handy , fun gun to shoot . :-(

Reminded me of a M-1 Carbine .

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
You should compare the Ruger AR 556 vs the Ruger Mini-14 in price. I have a Mini-14 and was looking hard at a Ruger AR 556. About 6 months ago you could get a AR 556 base for under $500, even $450, while the Mini-14 is still around $900. Recently the Ruger AR 556 has jumped on the street price due to demand, so it would be difficult to find one under about $625 . I still am looking for a AR 556 myself as a basic home-defense weapon- it is probably the least expensive AR-15 of any of the major manufacturers. You can get better guns for far more money, and probably cheaper guns where the quality stinks, but it seems the Ruger AR 556 is an overall great value.

I have assembled more than 1 AR . Not that difficult . Have not had any problems with quality . Parts from various sources . I would not pay a large price difference for a " name brand " AR .

Originally Posted by rrretiree7

Its that little emblem that says "Ruger" ( just like back when Colt had rights to the AR)- plan to pay extra for both

The main reason is the market. The AR platform has more name and visual recognition as well as more variants and so forth. Basically more popular.

Another one is the new "home market"- the AR builders prints ( being a govt rifle, ie the M-16 series) are not protected by patent and an AR upper and lower "can" be made with a hand router. ( that is a big thing in driving prices down)

Accuracy- to make it cheap ( not a quality cheap but manufacturing in terms of machining steps cheap) there are some inherent weak areas in the receiver that do affect accuracy and performance a bit so to truly "upgrade to a tack driver" you would have to have a custom receiver/barrel.

Then theres the set up and tooling on the front end. I've set machines for both. The Mini simply is more difficult in terms of effort and materials to mass produce.

As far as which item above contributes the most to the price difference is debatable but that's pretty much it.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

I have built a few AR's. But, when it came to buying one already built, I chose the Ruger AR-556 over the MP Sport II. I already own the Sport I so I didn't need another S&W. I bought it the first year it came out (Sport I), which I think was 2006 or 2007.
If I had to choose between the 2 AR's I would buy the AR-556.
Below is 1st bought and now.

23h0pyu.jpg

AR5561.jpeg

Back