15/40 CNG engine oil in a gasser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you?

Probably not formulated to deal with the combustion by products of gasoline.

Are you planning to take your lubrication contrarian thinking to an new absurd level? (j/k)

Looking at the Delo Spec sheets, their dedicated CNG oil seems to have lower sulfated ash content and a lower TBN than the standard HDEO. Not sure if it's a big deal in a mower, do mowers really deplete the TBN in most cases? I guess the best question is what reason do we have to change the oil in a mower, too much contamination from wear metals due lack of filtration, fuel dilution, shearing from the extreme heat of an air cooler engine, something else?

Petro Canada GEO LD meets manufactures' specs for LPG, CNG & also meets CK-4/SN. They call it the ultimate mixed fleet engine oil. Available in 10W30 & 15W40 only.
I cannae think of a reason CNG/LPG wouldn't work extremely well in a mower.

CNG engines are different as they operate at a conservative steady state RPM so the adds are different. Would the engine blow up?
No ! but the add packs are some what different. Probably short interval oil changes would be the safest. Do a uoa after 2,000 miles of use .

at work I drive a company CNG Semi, runs good sounds great and they let the OCI's go out 50k..I don't think the bearings rings cams ect are are worlds apart.

Last edited:
Most likely it will work fine, whats different?

Gas/LNG engine oil has about 500-600 ppm zinc/phos

The duration of LNG engines is usually very long and large bore sizes which tend to use more oil, the oil is formulated with low ash (zinc phos) to avoid combustion chamber deposits that cause misfires.

IMO, I wouldn't run the oil any longer than you would regular dino oil. For a regular interval should work ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back